A WWII FPS where you play the Nazis... Would you play it?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I realized that there has never been a WWII first person shooter where the player plays on the side of the Nazis for the entire campaign. If there was... Would you play it?

I'm not sure what kind a reception a game would get where you score points killing your potential grandparents would go over with US and British gamers, but it sure would be unique!

Also, I'm not sure how you would "win" the game... And the plot would be a bit dark if they made it about the 1943-1945 part of the war. Maybe they should focus on the 1939-1942 part of the war instead.

Feb 6, 2007
Ja. I mean nein. I think it could work if you started as a lowly Nazi grunt who didn't know anything about the concentration camps or mass genocide being done. And then, when you find out the truth, you change sides and start helping the Allies... But no one wants to play as a genocidal ass-clown who goes along with something that is obviously wrong.

Oct 25, 2006
Sure. Why not. Games where you kill Germans and Japanese get released and bought in Germany and Japan.

Could be cool. Play a soldier in a desperate fight to prevent the Americans or Russians from taking over your country. Possibly have some desert fighting under Rommel and the general retreat without support from high command. Ends with a desperate fight against the Russians for Berlin

It has tons of promise. It's a video game, who cares about who you're killing.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
Ja. I mean nein. I think it could work if you started as a lowly Nazi grunt who didn't know anything about the concentration camps or mass genocide being done. And then, when you find out the truth, you change sides and start helping the Allies... But no one wants to play as a genocidal ass-clown who goes along with something that is obviously wrong.

:\:hmm::sneaky:

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
People play the Nazi side in multiplayer games all the time, and no one blinks an eye (Red Orchestra, Day of Defeat, etc). I don't see how a single player game would be any different.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
People play the Nazi side in multiplayer games all the time, and no one blinks an eye (Red Orchestra, Day of Defeat, etc). I don't see how a single player game would be any different.

It isn't marketed as the Nazi side in Red Orchestra.

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I've tried in other types of games to play German or Japanese sides, but just can't make myself do it. My Dad and too many uncles are/were WW2 veterans.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
I wouldn't play it.....just because I'm tired of the whole Nazis / WWII theme. I just don't see any need to rehash it......it's like having yet another tropical island FPS - - it's all getting really old to me.

You know what I want? A good western FPS.....and I'm not talking about that spaghetti Hollywood sh*t or the on-rails / poorly executed games we have right now (Call of Jaurez, etc...).

I'm talking about a game set up similar to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - - mission based and hybrid RPG. The landscape, cultures, and cool-as-hell firearms of the time are just begging to be made into an awesome FPS, and nobody is picking up the ball........we just get more and more freaking military shooters every year.

How about shooting an old Colt Peacemaker?

Colt-Peacemaker,-chrome.jpg

Or maybe a Sharps for your long-range needs?
25+-+Buffalo+Rifle+%2528Sharps+Model+1874+Long+Range+Rifle%2529.jpg

Of course there's also the awesome old Winchester / Henry / Marlin lever action rifles:

1866.jpg

Somebody please make this game!!

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I wouldn't play it.....just because I'm tired of the whole Nazis / WWII theme. I just don't see any need to rehash it......it's like having yet another tropical island FPS - - it's all getting really old to me.

You know what I want? A good western FPS.....and I'm not talking about that spaghetti Hollywood sh*t or the on-rails / poorly executed games we have right now (Call of Jaurez, etc...).

I'm talking about a game set up similar to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - - mission based and hybrid RPG. The landscape, cultures, and cool-as-hell firearms of the time are just begging to be made into an awesome FPS, and nobody is picking up the ball........we just get more and more freaking military shooters every year.

How about shooting an old Colt Peacemaker?

Or maybe a Sharps for your long-range needs?

Of course there's also the awesome old Winchester / Henry / Marlin lever action rifles:

Somebody please make this game!!

Red Dead Redemption - it's not on PC though.

Rambusted

Feb 7, 2012
No interest in another WWII shooter regardless of side but I do think the western idea would be cool.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
I would definitely play a WWII game where you play as the Nazis, it would be interesting seeing how the developer would handle the sensitive issue of portraying such a highly unpopular country.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I play single-player games partly for the story and setting, not just for the mechanics.

A game where your goal is to advance the Third Reich and conquer the world for Hitler isn't a story or setting that appeals to me. It doesn't offend me, it just isn't a role that I want to play.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
It isn't marketed as the Nazi side in Red Orchestra.

It's not, but they're still Nazis :p

I'd love to see a WW1 Eastern Front FPS game developed though, but that'd be even less popular lol.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007

Why not? That could make for a very interesting game IMO.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
A entire game where it's just them would be a no as reading subtitles the entire time would be no fun.

But battlefield had plenty of it and single player fps are not as much fun.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Heck, how about an FPS game where your not a white guy? lol, i'd settle for that. i know there are a very few, was mostly joking but still.

But no one wants to play as a genocidal ass-clown who goes along with something that is obviously wrong.

you mean like GTA? or countless other games where you play as a pathalogical serial killer? :\

Ok, how about a Vietnam game played from the vietmaneese point of view, OR play as black folks in the slavery days uprising against whitey OR cowboys and indians played from the indians perspective. since we were more in the wrong and clearly the bad guys. We invaded, we attacked and slaughtered women and childeren....but the movies portraid us white folks in a nice light don't ya think?

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
A game where you play as a jewish man/woman trying to escape germany I thought would be cool survival style game.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
What about a game where you're a SS Concentration Camp guard? In the first level you shoot stray prisoners trying to escape, it's easy because they're starved and beaten but as you advance levels it gets tougher, the jews know the allies are winning the war and they want out before they're turned into purses for rich german ladies. In the last level you have to battle hordes of prisoners trying to escape from the ovens, and if you finish the game the allies take you for a scientist and grant you citizenship.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
There's not really any ethical difference between the Nazi soldiers and the American soldiers in the battle. Just a bunch of people caught up based on where they were born.

It's the cause, the policies, the government who gains power when they win that's the problem. War's usually like that, the powerful (profit) and the suckers (get shot).

Leaders like soldiers to de-humanize the enemy; I like to see the enemy humanized, helps make people less pro-war when they're not just caught up in the rush

There's a sort of mass hysteria that gets people caught up, suspending morals about killing, good book is 'War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning'.

When I started World of Tanks, I thought I'd stick to US tanks, German WWII tanks seemed a bit distasteful, but they de-sensitize that, mixing them all together.

Now, ConcentrationCampSim is a game not made yet, waiting to push free speech rights.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
You have to draw the distinction between the regular german army and the Nazis.

A large percentage of German soldiers were not memebers of the Nazi party.