A Sonic The Hedgehog... movie?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think at this point you put more thought into this movie than the writers did.

Probably. :p I don't really consider myself a huge Sonic fan, but I did enjoy most Sonic things when I was far younger. But I guess you could say the movie was serviceable as it didn't bother me.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Probably. :p I don't really consider myself a huge Sonic fan, but I did enjoy most Sonic things when I was far younger. But I guess you could say the movie was serviceable as it didn't bother me.
That's about as resounding an endorsement as I can imagine hearing for me to see this movie, thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
That's about as resounding an endorsement as I can imagine hearing for me to see this movie, thanks!

All joking aside, most people that know me in real life would agree with that statement. They'll say, "Hey, how was the movie?" "Oh, it was okay." "Wow... that good!?" It's pretty rare for me to call a movie "great" or "amazing", so they just think I'm too hard on movies. :p

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I got a Deadpool vibe from it the way Sonic was talking to himself. My 10 year old loved it.

Nov 8, 2012
Finally got around to watching this movie yesterday.

I have to say - one of the first things I noticed is... HOLY FUCK, do you have enough product and brand-placements? Jesus fuck it was every other scene... and it was just...fully slammed down your throat, it wasn't subtle in the slightest.

Overall, got an occasional laugh/chuckle. Not a bad movie because I could take my kids to see it and they would probably have fun with it.

Robotnik was horrible as expected - though in the sub-credits scene where it implys a sequel he looks much more like the real one.... but still without the fatness.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot - one thing that annoyed me the whole movie is how they make Sonic out to be a complete dumbass the whole time.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Finally got around to watching this movie yesterday.

I have to say - one of the first things I noticed is... HOLY FUCK, do you have enough product and brand-placements? Jesus fuck it was every other scene... and it was just...fully slammed down your throat, it wasn't subtle in the slightest.

Overall, got an occasional laugh/chuckle. Not a bad movie because I could take my kids to see it and they would probably have fun with it.

Robotnik was horrible as expected - though in the sub-credits scene where it implys a sequel he looks much more like the real one.... but still without the fatness.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot - one thing that annoyed me the whole movie is how they make Sonic out to be a complete dumbass the whole time.
I pretty much don't agree with anything you said.

I didn't notice any product placement. I guess it was there but as I read your reply I can't think of one brand I saw in the whole movie.

Robotnik was fine. Everyone wanted him to be fat just like it was in the game but get over it. Other than that he was fine with all of his robot gadgets doing all of the dirty work. He just played a nutty professor basically who knew he was smarter than everyone else. This was a prequel to where he was at in the game, and as you mentioned, at the end it shows him looking more like he does in the game.

I didn't think they made Sonic to be a complete dumbass at all. They basically made him a kid and he acted like a kid. I mean they had a scene where he was playing baseball, by himself, as every position. That is just kids stuff right there as was a lot of how he acted.

I mean it is a kids movie rated PG. There was not much to it at all story wise and it was super basic for kids. I watched it with my 5 year old and he liked it and I thought it was enjoyable especially for a video game movie. It's one of the better video game movies, but that isn't really saying much.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I didn't notice any product placement. I guess it was there but as I read your reply I can't think of one brand I saw in the whole movie.

Kinda wanna lace up my pumas & take my Toyota truck to go down to get some breadsticks right now

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Robotnik was fine. Everyone wanted him to be fat just like it was in the game but get over it. Other than that he was fine with all of his robot gadgets doing all of the dirty work. He just played a nutty professor basically who knew he was smarter than everyone else. This was a prequel to where he was at in the game, and as you mentioned, at the end it shows him looking more like he does in the game.

I do wish he was round, simply because he was super-round in the game. I'm not sure if they did that for modern politically-correct reasons or because he'll be round in the sequel or what.

But the robots & stuff were pretty fun. Graphics were good. I wish the story had been a little more complex for older kids (i.e. me, lol) so they didn't get bored, but I mean, it's Sonic, so target market & all that. Went back & watched some of the cartoons and now I want a chili dog!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I mean it is a kids movie rated PG. There was not much to it at all story wise and it was super basic for kids. I watched it with my 5 year old and he liked it and I thought it was enjoyable especially for a video game movie. It's one of the better video game movies, but that isn't really saying much.

tbh I think that was one of my problems with the movie, I went in with the expectation of, well, expecting more...but it's Sonic. Like you said, it's super basic for kids.

I think it might have actually been better off as a live-action TV show, because there are just tons of plot devices you could play with, especially the post-credits scenes.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Kinda wanna lace up my pumas & take my Toyota truck to go down to get some breadsticks right now
Oh yeah now that you mention breadsticks, that's right they got a gift card to Olive Garden was it?

And were the shoes the girl gave him Puma's? I didn't really notice they were Puma's just that they looked like his shoes from the game.

I mean do people really get bothered by this stuff? Like would you rather them go eat at Teds Tasty Diner and have Mikee shoes instead while driving around Fodge cars, while being in the real world?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Saw it with the twins. They liked it. I thought the Olive Garden thing was hilarious. I'll give it about 6.5/10

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Oh yeah now that you mention breadsticks, that's right they got a gift card to Olive Garden was it?

And were the shoes the girl gave him Puma's? I didn't really notice they were Puma's just that they looked like his shoes from the game.

I mean do people really get bothered by this stuff? Like would you rather them go eat at Teds Tasty Diner and have Mikee shoes instead while driving around Fodge cars, while being in the real world?

Not usually bothered, but it has to be either slipped in there or else be hilariously in-your-face (ex. Wayne's World), or else it feels really forced. Olive Garden came up more than once. If they had ONLY done the gift card bit at the end, it would have been hilarious, because you're expecting them to get a fat silence/payoff check & bam, $50 gift card LOL. But then the official pushed it with a line straight out of a commercial. Not to mention the earlier Olive Garden line (the mobile app & "when you're here, you're family" line). And Zillow. And the truck. And the shoes. Busch. etc.

How they thought up all that & he didn't run through the drive-through at Sonic's to get a chili dog is beyond me.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Saw it with the twins. They liked it. I thought the Olive Garden thing was hilarious. I'll give it about 6.5/10

tbh I was kind of hoping for something more along the lines of Zathura or Jumanji or something like that. Like I think Shrek even worked on a lot of different age levels. I think if you go in expecting that the demographic is for 5-year-olds, it's a fun movie.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
tbh I was kind of hoping for something more along the lines of Zathura or Jumanji or something like that. Like I think Shrek even worked on a lot of different age levels. I think if you go in expecting that the demographic is for 5-year-olds, it's a fun movie.

Twins are six so the liked it xd

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I thought part 1 was fun and enjoyed it.

I think part 2 looks good and I'll see it once it hits Redbox or something.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I thought part 1 was fun and enjoyed it.

I think part 2 looks good and I'll see it once it hits Redbox or something.

Pretty genius marketing ploy to:

1. Purposely design an ugly character
2. That rustles the jimmies of the nostalgic Internet to the point where there's a viral outcry
3. So that you can "redesign" it & make $300 million on a $90 million budget

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
Pretty genius marketing ploy to:

1. Purposely design an ugly character
2. That rustles the jimmies of the nostalgic Internet to the point where there's a viral outcry
3. So that you can "redesign" it & make $300 million on a $90 million budget

If that's true, then Paramount deserves even more praise for their clever marketing than for their supposed "redesign". It comes out on top no matter what.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk