A gay man's mass email to his family demanding they stop voting for Republicans went viral. His dad said it helped change his mind.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
He is entitled to his opinion. I don't know why he thinks everyone else isn't entitled to theirs. Seems to be close minded. My son and daughter in law are very liberal and we have an excellent relationship. I don't think you should wreck your family over politics.
Your "politics" is just unnecessary death and suffering.

Reactions: Pohemi

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
that quote doesn’t say what you assert it does.

Seems pretty straightforward to me...

"Hear me clearly — you cannot vote for the GOP and continue to have a relationship with me. No exceptions. I am inviting no dialogue, and I have no interest in nuance,"

Does it mean something that the words fail to convey?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Seems pretty straightforward to me...

"Hear me clearly — you cannot vote for the GOP and continue to have a relationship with me. No exceptions. I am inviting no dialogue, and I have no interest in nuance,"

Does it mean something that the words fail to convey?

read your post again, your assertion is not what’s in that text.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
He is entitled to his opinion. I don't know why he thinks everyone else isn't entitled to theirs. Seems to be close minded. My son and daughter in law are very liberal and we have an excellent relationship. I don't think you should wreck your family over politics.

Voting for a party that wants to strip your loved ones of their basic human fucking rights for the way they're born is not merely an "opinion."

Again:

Imagine being Jewish and having people tell you it's too much to tell a person voting for the Nazis that they have to choose... You, or the Nazis. That if they continue to support the Nazis, you will you'll be forced to cut them off.

This is the fucking same.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
"The safety and peace of me, my husband, and my community is baseline, non-negotiable, and unrelated to politics," Short wrote. "To vote GOP is to divide the family."

Think Ryan went too far?

No, he has a right to address his family the way he wants to. It does seem an uncharitable way to interact with ones own family. I think there is a bit of an error in thinking or maybe just wording here. It's a completely politically charged ultimatum - so I don't see how he can say it isn't. Personally, I don't separate myself from family members because they are practising homesexuals or in favor of abortions. So, I'd find that kind of message to me pretty heartbreaking.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
No, he has a right to address his family the way he wants to. It does seem an uncharitable way to interact with ones own family. I think there is a bit of an error in thinking or maybe just wording here. It's a completely politically charged ultimatum - so I don't see how he can say it isn't. Personally, I don't separate myself from family members because they are practising homesexuals or in favor of abortions. So, I'd find that kind of message to me pretty heartbreaking.

They aren't actively voting to strip you of your basic human rights.

This is an excellent example of privilege.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
They aren't actively voting to strip you of your basic human rights.

This is an excellent example of privilege.
Who here has a privilege that is a direct impediment to another's desired freedoms? A member of the family may vote republican for reasons totally unrelated to same-sex rights; in which that vote has unwanted side effects. Ryan is asking his family to become single issue voters (which I thought was something frowned upon in these quarters).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Can anyone remind me which amendment says if the government provides a service, privilege, or right to anyone it has to provide it to everyone?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Who here has a privilege that is a direct impediment to another's desired freedoms? A member of the family may vote republican for reasons totally unrelated to same-sex rights; in which that vote has unwanted side effects. Ryan is asking his family to become single issue voters (which I thought was something frowned upon in these quarters).

The point is in what you just said. Wow. Try harder. You ALMOST got it.

Reactions: Gardener and Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yup, they exist, known some. Wasn't that surprising to me to encounter any. What surprised me is meeting a black Muslim Republican, who went on to be one of the people I respect the most. I idolize the guy for his intelligence and skills, he taught me quite a lot about life.

As for this son doing his father dirty like this, he's a narcissistic attention whore. So stunning. So brave. With some luck the father will figure out his love has been taken advantage of in one of the most insidious ways possible and disown the punk. Relationships are a two-way street, the father has been supportive of this jerk since forever and didn't ask him to change. It's only fair of the son to change something about himself if he's asking someone else to change something about them. Guarantee you the punk wouldn't change anything about theirself, it's all about him. If one of my kids pulled this shit I'd wish them well and remove him from any inheritance and give their share to one of my other kids who apparently deserve it more. Call me a dick, I don't give a shit, you won't catch me being emotionally held hostage -- been there, done that.

Sounds to me if you had a son who was being tortured by the class bully you would have no problem inviting the bullies family over for dinner. And you wouldn’t see anything wrong with it.

He sent that request to his family not to Twitter. We are only hearing the results after the fact.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

It didn’t wreck their family. Brought them closer together.

If you have a gay son or daughter I guess it makes sense to vote for the party hell bent on destroying their rights and creating a hostile environment for them in this country.

I get it

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

It's called values, not politics. Basic values, morals and human decency.

The GQP has barely any of those.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Sounds to me if you had a son who was being tortured by the class bully you would have no problem inviting the bullies family over for dinner. And you wouldn’t see anything wrong with it.

It's lost on me why you would come to that conclusion. Okay then, whatever -- not the case, though.

He sent that request to his family not to Twitter. We are only hearing the results after the fact.

Per your article that you posted --> "After he hit send, Short posted a screenshot of the email to Twitter, along with a text conversation with a family member who initially did not respond positively."

Note how it isn't wrote like this:

"The next day, Short posted a screenshot of the email to Twitter," or, "Some period of time later, Short posted a screenshot of the email to Twitter," or, or, or ...

No. It's as it's written, leading with: "After he hit send."

That should widely be accepted as soon after. It's insinuated as being so, at minimum.

The son simply couldn't wait to show his ass on Twitter which reasonably portrays him as being a narcissistic attention-whore.

Just on grounds of showering family affairs onto social media if it were my kid they'd already be walking on thin ice, let alone attempting to hold me emotionally hostage. Fuck that shit. This punk went on to further say he didn't want to "waste any more time on things that aren't bringing light to my life," so apparently being a drama queen gets them off. Furthermore, he said: "This letter was a boundary, not a persuasion. It was not intended to persuade anyone." That is an obvious lie. He's a manipulative sack of shit which is a trait narcissists have.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Besides being thankful for many things, I'm also thankful to have not been the spawn of shite like Zor and PCGeek.

Fucking horrible existence that would be. And I'm not gay! I just don't like shitty people.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Bull shit.

Z3z5i3E.png

life Expectancy by state
Life_Expectancy_By_State_territory_2.png

Maternal Mortality by state
Mmmap.jpg

Infant Mortality
infantmortalitymap_inset_v2.jpg

Poverty by State
Poverty_by_U.S._state.svg

Republican policies lead to poverty and early death, but in 2023 the benefit is they’ll use the power of the state to target women, LGBTQ+, and minorities for the brunt of their “policies”.

Oh and regular white male republicans will die earlier and at higher rates than liberals from unvaccinated COVID but keeping them minorities in their place comes at a cost.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It's lost on me why you would come to that conclusion. Okay then, whatever -- not the case, though.

Per your article that you posted --> "After he hit send, Short posted a screenshot of the email to Twitter, along with a text conversation with a family member who initially did not respond positively."

"The next day, Short posted a screenshot of the email to Twitter," or, "Some period of time later, Short posted a screenshot of the email to Twitter," or, or, or ...

That should widely be accepted as soon after. It's insinuated as being so, at minimum.

The son simply couldn't wait to show his ass on Twitter which reasonably portrays him as being a narcissistic attention-whore.

Just on grounds of showering family affairs onto social media if it were my kid they'd already be walking on thin ice, let alone attempting to hold me emotionally hostage. Fuck that shit. This punk went on to further say he didn't want to "waste any more time on things that aren't bringing light to my life," so apparently being a drama queen gets them off. Furthermore, he said: "This letter was a boundary, not a persuasion. It was not intended to persuade anyone." That is an obvious lie. He's a manipulative sack of shit which is a trait narcissists have.
I see you haven't learned to kill your pathetic ego. This is why you are still a cretin.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Because in that example the Republicans are the bully. By voting for them you are inviting them into your house, metaphorically speaking. You are supporting a party that is attacking your son.

You are correct about Twitter post but he felt it was necessary for his well being. TBO, if I were him, I wouldn't have put that put in out the public, but at the same time I don't condemn with for doing it.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
I see you haven't learned to kill your pathetic ego. This is why you are still a cretin.
... what ego? In my younger years, yeah I probably did. These days, doubt it. I'd rather be a cretin than to be you. If I were to become you, I'd be poised to hang myself. I hope you're satisfied with this exchange you initiated.