A Discussion on Microcenter In Pricing Comparisons

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I really do not have the desire or energy to sort though all those threads. Are you denying any of that?

Yes, I'm denying all of it. I've never said anything of the sort.

Oh you mean denying whether someone else said it? How should I know? You could have said those things yourself on an alt forum account just to feed you trolling, it means nothing.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
The only threads that really talk about how great some Microcenter deals are, are in the Hot Deals subforum. I rarely, if ever, see posts in VC&G or CPU subforums talking about Microcenter deals... so no, there is no thread after thread about combo deals. There is just a small bit of exaggeration here ;)

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
Its tantamount to being the same if you are a member of this forum but do not live in the USA.

You take exception to MC because of its limited accessibility, by that token you should take exception to any etailer/reseller who is not global/international because I assure you there are members of this forum who could not care less about discussions on Newegg pricing or Microcenter pricing because both are equally irrelevant to them.

That's all I was trying to say.

And? Who gets fooled by it? You? Them? The unwashed masses of ignorant lurking newbs who stand to be misled if some savior does not come rushing to their aid by correcting all the wrongs in this world, thread after thread?

duty_calls.png

You are setting yourself on a fool's errand, I wish better for you, I want to see you in a happier place. Getting pedantic about microcenter deals is not going to get you to a happy place. Get to bed, there lies a happier place :)

forget neweggs prices and just use msrp.Every thread thats defending a BD purchase is using that microcenter in store combo deal.

I could care less as I would not spend 200 on a BD since its not worth the performance over a 250 dollar 2500 but when 90% of the amd fans use microcenters in store deals to justify its performance over a sandy is getting old.

Last edited:

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
I see nothing wrong with mentioning Microcenter Deals, we all have access to different locations for purchase. I'm more than an hour drive from Microcenter and I still shop there, though I do purchase more often from newegg.com

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
I need a private jet to fly to the nearest MC. Thanks OP for making me feel sad that I'm missing the greatest deal on the planet. :\

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
It takes me an hour to get to Microcenter...and Fry's but TigerDirect is only 20mins out.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Like in most of the threads where price vs performance comes in is that micro deal with the BD 8 core and mother board for free for 189.

What's your point? IF IF IF someone is asking about a good bang for buck deal, then that MC deal should enter into the discussion WITH the caveat that you have to live near one. And IF IF IF that person lives near a MC it is a good deal for THEM. If it's just an argument thread then who cares lol.

I don't even live in the US so I don't really care but I personally think you're getting worked up over nothing. If that deal is brought up with the caveat that you have to live near one, what's the problem?

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
What's your point? IF IF IF someone is asking about a good bang for buck deal, then that MC deal should enter into the discussion. And IF IF IF that person lives near a MC it is a good deal for THEM. If it's just an argument thread then who cares lol.

I don't even live in the US so I don't really care but I personally think you're getting worked up over nothing. If that deal is brought up with the caveat that you have to live near one, what's the problem?

Im not worked up at all,I think its halarious as chiro just used the combo deal in another thread about 15 min ago lol

This was just posted by him lol

Originally Posted by Chiropteran
Huh, $260, I guess that is pretty cheap. Not unlike the $189 deals you can get for FX-8120...

I guess you are ignorant enough to ridicule and berate others for not caring about power usage, but when proven guilty of doing the same yourself you resort to emoticons.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
It takes me an hour to get to Microcenter...and Fry's but TigerDirect is only 20mins out.

If your budget is around 200 then that hour is well worth it,they are giving you a BD and a board for 189.That is well under retail and basically giving those away.

Buy like 3 and sell them online :thumbsup:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Im not worked up at all,I think its halarious as chiro just used the combo deal in another thread about 15 min ago lol

This was just posted by him lol

If you thought that post was funny, you should check out the Hot Deals forum. You will probably die laughing.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
If you thought that post was funny, you should check out the Hot Deals forum. You will probably die laughing.

Naw what was funny was you getting baned out of the thread :)

Im going to check out the hot deals section now just for some late night gigles

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Yup, rest of the planet dosent have microcenter either :\

In the UK we have uhh maplin and other crap who will happily take £20 off you for a coaxial cable, probably still sell socket 7 pentiums for £2k :thumbsdown: Online shopping is where its at here.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There's absolutely nothing wrong with mentioning Microcenter deals, and YES, with MC's FX8120 deals (smoking!), Bulldozer becomes a real contended for price/performance discussions.

Of course, grkM3 is going to call me an AMD troll too, just because I made a reasoned decision to go with AMD in another thread on here, and he acted like a butthurt Intel fanboy because I chose AMD. He even accused me of pre-planning to choose AMD, and intentionally ignoring Intel, when that was the furthest thing from the truth.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
There's absolutely nothing wrong with mentioning Microcenter deals, and YES, with MC's FX8120 deals (smoking!), Bulldozer becomes a real contended for price/performance discussions.

Of course, grkM3 is going to call me an AMD troll too, just because I made a reasoned decision to go with AMD in another thread on here, and he acted like a butthurt Intel fanboy because I chose AMD. He even accused me of pre-planning to choose AMD, and intentionally ignoring Intel, when that was the furthest thing from the truth.

Ohh here we go....If I really wanted to waste my time I would go back to your threads where in 1 you made asking if you should get a 2500k and in another thread you were crap talking all the intel features it was missing.Like usb 3.0,a bunch of pci e lanes,mentioned the chipset recall and on and on how it was not as good as the amd platform and in the other thread asking if you should get the BD over the 2500k and people were really wasting there time trying to help you on picking your cpu.

You were never going to buy the intel chip and I think I even offered you the price difference in one post lol and you still went with the BD.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You were never going to buy the intel chip and I think I even offered you the price difference in one post lol and you still went with the BD.

Three lies in one sentence. Impressive. Or perhaps just a show of senility.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Lets not take the MC bundle deals,

from newegg,

AMD FX8120 ($199,99) + Heat-sink ($29,99) + Motherboard ($59,99)= $289,97

I could use a cheaper motherboard as well, also i could use the AMD heat-sink that comes with the CPU and OC the FX8120 up to 4GHz easily.

Intel Core i5 2500K (224,99) + Heat-sink (29,99)+ Motherboard (84,99) = $339,97

We need a P67 or Z68 motherboard in order to be able to OC the Intel CPU. I have used the cheapest Z68 board and the same heatsink as before.

So, FX8120 is $50 cheaper. If we are in a tight budget then that $50 can be put for more ram, an SSD or even a better GPU.

So for a gamer (1080p and above) that Overclocks and on a strict budget i will say that the FX8120 is better.
If you can spend $50 more buy the 2500K but at 1080p and above (with the same GPU) you will not see any performance difference between those two CPUs when both are Overclocked ;)

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I wanted to show him and the rest of the forum that FX8120 doesn't need the MC offers in order to be cheaper and at the same time provide the same or better performance.

He was after all started this thread because of the price/performance debate between the FX8120 vs Core i5 2500K and the deals of MC.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I completly agree with OP.

If MC sold these deals online and would ship international i could see the point but the simple truth is only a small fraction of the US can take advantage of these deals. It would be the same thing as saying well I can get a XYZ cpu for $100 because i work at a computer wholesaler and get parts at cost, so it blows away XYZ#2 CPU because its so much cheaper and better, while thats great for me but not the vast majority of posters on this forum, and would be a unfair comparison.

When comparing any hardware you should be comparing street prices anyone can get from any store(usually close to suggested retail) with performance, not some exclusive deal only a small fraction of forum members can get. If you happen to be able to take advantage of any deal like MC then its a bonus but should not be used to compare hardware on a international forum.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/22/un-cities-mega-regions

If you aren't living in a major city, you are doing it wrong. Nobody to blame but yourself.

Thats hardly a proper response. You keep bringing up the price/performance issue while underplaying the necessity of getting the parts at MC. And thats not even considering the difficulty of many urbanites who might have to drive a long ways since MC has an average of about 2(?) stores in every state. Edit- Its like using a hotdeals pricing to make your argument for BD.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
I personally think there are a lot of histrionics in this thread, and not just from the OP>

I have a Microcenter 30 minutes away from me in Long Island, NY. My first visit was last year on Black Friday, and plan on making it a habit. Though I could also imagine how these almost mystical faraway deals without any ability to partake could be jarring. Maybe it's just me. :) So make sure to factor in transportation and gas costs into the comparisons.

Nov 26, 2005
~ 45 min round trip for me (most of the drive is highway) and i think it's around twenty some miles to get there
~26mpg highway
2.29.12 gas price in my area (3.79$) round trip cost = ~ 8$
179$ 2500K after tax 196$ + 8$ = 204$ time = 1h vs ???

seems worth the time and savings to me :)

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004