MarkSpurrell

Nov 11, 2017
Over the past month I challenged myself to build something cheap that could achieve high framerates in 1080p in most modern games for a very low price, as well as being small enough to carry around wherever I go. I finished that build just a few days ago, and I'd like to share it with the community in the hopes that it will help someone looking for the same thing. A PPP link is below, as well as a YouTube build video/review for anyone who doesn't want to read a wall of text. Let me know what you think, and if you would have chosen any different parts given the budget!

PPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/L229TW
YouTube:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Overall I like your build. I can see why you might use the case with the dimensions you chose because it is deeper than it is tall. I built a small system for my wife and I used a cube case that is around 12 X 10 X 10 or so. https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...qid=1510691238&sr=8-3&keywords=v1+thermaltake

http://www.microcenter.com/product/461948/GA-H110N_LGA_1151_Mini_ITX_Intel_Motherboard

Dimensions 10.2 in x 12.4 in x 10.9 in

One interesting part about this case is the top and the bottom of the case come off. It has drive slots that hang on one side of the frame that are easy to get to after the Motherboard is installed. I put the Gigabyte H110N motherboard in mine. Last year or so I purchased the Motherboard with an i3 CPU at micro-center. The Motherboard was $35 if purchased with an i3. It was a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

MarkSpurrell

Nov 11, 2017
Thanks. I've contemplated building in the core series, but it was too big for this sort of build.

The Milo ML08 is small, but the temps in side are horrible apparently.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Thanks. I've contemplated building in the core series, but it was too big for this sort of build.

The Milo ML08 is small, but the temps in side are horrible apparently.
I have to read/watch the reviews again, but as I recall the noise levels aren't that bad depend on which CPU/video card you use and what aftermarket HSF you put on the CPU.

MarkSpurrell

Nov 11, 2017
I have to read/watch the reviews again, but as I recall the noise levels aren't that bad depend on which CPU/video card you use and what aftermarket HSF you put on the CPU.

I don't mind noise levels that much. The SG13B is fairly loud. I just worry about the temps of all my components heating up to dangerously high levels and then getting throttled hard in that Milo case.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I don't mind noise levels that much. The SG13B is fairly loud. I just worry about the temps of all my components heating up to dangerously high levels and then getting throttled hard in that Milo case.
How many fans does your 980 card have? With the 1050Ti and 1060(6) GPUs you shouldn't worry about throttling, 980 however I'm not sure about.

The downside I can see with the Milo ML08 case is the cost of your build, it is pretty much a SSD only case. I can imagine that a 512GB SSD would bring up the cost past $500.

If I was building a new rig using this case, I would go with the i5-8400 CPU and 1070 video card along with a 1TB SSD or two, plus 32GB of RAM.

MarkSpurrell

Nov 11, 2017
How many fans does your 980 card have? With the 1050Ti and 1060(6) GPUs you shouldn't worry about throttling, 980 however I'm not sure about.

The downside I can see with the Milo ML08 case is the cost of your build, it is pretty much a SSD only case. I can imagine that a 512GB SSD would bring up the cost past $500.

If I was building a new rig using this case, I would go with the i5-8400 CPU and 1070 video card along with a 1TB SSD or two, plus 32GB of RAM.

It's a blower card, one fan. Sucks in from the outside and blows it back out outside. Why would you go with 32GB of RAM? Most games don't use 16GB let alone 32GB.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It's a blower card, one fan. Sucks in from the outside and blows it back out outside. Why would you go with 32GB of RAM? Most games don't use 16GB let alone 32GB.
Because I would feel really funny if I didn't increase the amount of memory in my next build as I currently have 16GB. Same deal with not increasing the amount of storage as well since I have 2 1TB SSDs.

MarkSpurrell

Nov 11, 2017
Because I would feel really funny if I didn't increase the amount of memory in my next build as I currently have 16GB. Same deal with not increasing the amount of storage as well since I have 2 1TB SSDs.

Why not just put the extra money towards a 1080 or 1080ti?