90% of guns in Mexican drug war from U.S. is inaccurate.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
The Myth of 90 Percent

The number is closer to 17% according to the ATF. The 90% # came from guns which were TRACABLE as guns possibly being from the United States. It does not include guns which are obviously NOT coming from here. When you factor in ALL the guns, not just the ones tracable, its more like 17%.

Its a damn shame that people like Hilary use statistics like this that are complete BULLSHIT to make their point. I think its probably clear she was given this mis-information and ran with it.. who knows if she knew it was BS or not.. but if the # were accurate, I'm sure she would not have been saying the 17% number.

Wrong facts like these, as this forum proves, makes people think that we need to ban guns here. And I believe thats why Hilary and others used the statistic when they probably knew it was FUD. I bet it will CONTINUE to be used even though its FUD. Its just another way to try to take away our rights.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
yeah saw this on the news this morning.
Hillary much to busy blaming US to check her facts.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
The drug cartels have billions of dollars. It doesn't matter where they get their guns because they will get them if they want them.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Good article and full of facts. You're right however that the agenda will continue to use this "stat".

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: nobodyknows
The drug cartels have billions of dollars. It doesn't matter where they get their guns because they will get them if they want them.

Not if we outlaw guns. /s

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I dont see anybody talking the fact guns are outlawed in Mexico either. An unamred populace and record crime. Surely a coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should be a test case for how easy it is for cartels to get weapons even when weapons are outlawed. They ship them in like they do drugs.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Der tryin' ta take 'ur guns!

Your knuckle dragging friends in congress and this administration were trying to use these false stats to take away the rights of Americans to purchase certain types of weapons.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87

Your knuckle dragging friends in congress and this administration were trying to use these false stats to take away the rights of Americans to purchase certain types of weapons.

Yep, I'm getting my handgun permit next week. Glock 23 40 cal with hi cap mags.
Nice complement to my 30-06, 12 guage and a couple smaller rifles.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: dphantom

Yep, I'm getting my handgun permit next week. Glock P23 40 cal with hi cap mags.

Waiting on my damned permit from the Sheriff. Then i get the S&W AR-15T I purchased 3 weeks ago. Already got my Eotech 557 + 3x mag. Like to hit the range this weekend and test it out.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

You could outlaw all the guns in the world and the drug cartels would still have guns.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

You could outlaw all the guns in the world and the drug cartels would still have guns.

I think the /s tag was sarcasm :D

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005

Exactly. That's why banning private ownership of firearms is absurd.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

you know what they should do? just outlaw drugs! that will put the drug cartels out of business!

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Exactly. That's why banning private ownership of firearms is absurd.

Yep. Even if it might have been a solution in the past it's not a solution today because the toothpaste is already out of the tube.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

The linked article mentions no such thing.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy

you know what they should do? just outlaw drugs! that will put the drug cartels out of business!

I have an even better idea. We should outlaw murder! That would stop these cartels from killing people.

ZV

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
The 17% number is nearly as flawed as the 90% number. They're excluding a lot of weapons that couldn't be traced at all, even if they're likely to have come from the US. It sounds like the true figure is likely somewhere between 17% and 29%, provided that they were correct in assuming that the 68% that were never submitted for tracing definitely didn't come from the US.

But what is the value of this number? What action should we take because of it? Should we restrict the rights of Americans because of what's happening in Mexico? No. We should investigate the dealers that these guns are coming from, because many of them are aware that the guns are going to be taken out of the country.

Aug 23, 2000

Fine choice. I love my G23

I just ran across this article and this is what kills me, "But Tom Diaz, senior policy analyst at the Violence Policy Center, called the "90 percent" issue a red herring and said that it should not detract from the effort to stop gun trafficking into Mexico."
Damn the the facts. We have an agenda to push.!!!!

Aug 23, 2000

The linked article mentions no such thing.

The linked article is about the "facts" the administration is using to prove their point. And it shows that the facts your leaders use are wrong. It just goes to show that they do not care one damn about the truth and American rights and liberties. They care about their agenda to passify and pussify America.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski

I just ran across this article and this is what kills me, "But Tom Diaz, senior policy analyst at the Violence Policy Center, called the "90 percent" issue a red herring and said that it should not detract from the effort to stop gun trafficking into Mexico."

Well you know, the red herring of correct facts.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005

I was thinking about the H&K USP, but really like the feel of the Glock. Sounds like I made a good choice.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Not every weapon seized in Mexico has a serial number on it that would make it traceable, and the U.S. effort to trace weapons really only extends to weapons that have been in the U.S. market," Matt Allen, special agent of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), told FOX News.

So basically, 90% of the weapons that came from the United States, came from the United States.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

I was thinking about the H&K USP, but really like the feel of the Glock. Sounds like I made a good choice.

I was looking at the G23, but decided to go with a S&W M&P40C as well as a M&P15.