Because most of it is common knowledge, with readily available sources through even a rudimentary google search. Most weapons aren't made in the US, they're made in those other locations. I'm amazed that Brazil didn't make the list as their production is enormous. Many of those other countries have FAR fewer controls on gun sales than does the US. It's not rocket science to draw a logical conclusion from that.Originally posted by: NeoV
I have to comment again - I love how the gun nuts take this article as gospel, without considering the source of some of this 'data'.
An NRA spokesman says most of the guns in Mexico come from S.America - reliable source?
A gun instructor in Arizona - suddenly an expert on guns in Mexico?
There is even a question in the article - why would Mexican drug cartels buy guns in America when they can buy them from China, Israel, or S.Africa - - hello? Does anyone else see how ridiculous that question is? I'm going to take a small guess and say - because there are 6,600 gun shops within 10 miles of the border on the US side? Because cash payments are a lot harder to track than electronic payments? Because tying a straw buyer back to a cartel is more difficult than tracking an electronic payment? Are you kidding me?
Also - look at the numbers - 29,000 guns were recovered - 11.000 were sent back to the US for tracing - and 90% of those were in fact successfully traced to the US - that doesn't mean the other 18,000 guns all are from sources outisde the US - yes, you can still trace guns with filed serial numbers - but I'm going to go out on a limb and say neither Mexico nor the US wanted to pay for the additional testing needed to do that - so I would venture to say that a rather large portion of the 'other 18,000 guns also came from the US but had their serial #'s removed. There aren't enough facts in this piece of 'fair and balanced' reporting, period.
Obviously there are guns in Mexico from sources other than the US, but if you take as gospel this 17% speculation, it's at least as erroneous as those saying the number is 90%.
Where does it say those gun stores are 10 miles from the border, cause I'm having trouble locating that part.
Moreover, you fail utterly at math, you fail utterly at reading, you're an utter liar, or a combination those three.
11,000 out of 29,000 sent back, 6000 were able to be traced at all, 5100 of those were US. That's less than half of only about 1/3. I agree, the final number is likely more than the 17% suggested...but so much closer to that than the 90% that quite frankly the AG and SoS should face criminal charges for conspiring to defraud the citizens of the US.In 2007-2008, according to ATF Special Agent William Newell, Mexico submitted 11,000 guns to the ATF for tracing. Close to 6,000 were successfully traced -- and of those, 90 percent -- 5,114 to be exact, according to testimony in Congress by William Hoover -- were found to have come from the U.S. But in those same two years, according to the Mexican government, 29,000 guns were recovered at crime scenes. In other words, 68 percent of the guns that were recovered were never submitted for tracing. And when you weed out the roughly 6,000 guns that could not be traced from the remaining 32 percent, it means 83 percent of the guns found at crime scenes in Mexico could not be traced to the U.S.
I also agree that there should be a COMPLETE investigation into this report. I would love to see Congressional hearings about it. Let's get all the facts before we make a final judgment. But you know what, it's been more than a day, and so far hardly any mainstream news sources are even mentioning this blatant lie to the American people involving high ranking government officials from at least two nations. Lemme tell you, I hate faux news more than anyone else on these forums (or at least as much), but if no one else has the balls or moral fiber to even mention such an obvious error, well then I'm not sure that saving this nation is in anyone's best interests anyway.