9/29 Google Press Event Discussion (Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X)

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Amen, I am sick of LG Nexuses. Honestly I don't think Sony or Samsung are viable options- Sony is barely in the business still and Samsung isn't going to give us Nexus pricing for a device as that would undercut their Galaxy offerings.

But Google doesn't need any of the major OEMs. Huawei's 6P is the best Nexus ever.

Amen. Or better yet, give us a freaking Huawei made Nexus 5P with an 820 (and OIS). That would be THE phone to own.
Yeah, three generations of LG Nexuses (Nexi?) is way too much. I wish Google wouldn't stick with the same manufacturer for subsequent generations. Sony would be refreshing - it would be nice to see a Nexus based on a Z5/Z6. It doesn't have to offer Nexus like pricing - the 6P is pricey, and even the Motorola Nexus 6 was really (unnecessarily) expensive to start with - $650.

I would love to see a smaller Nexus flagship, something in the Nexus 5 footprint!

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
I wouldn't mind consecutive generations of Nexus phones from the same vendor if they were all at the level of the 6P. It's not really the vendor that matters to me but the phone itself.

LG does tend to do a lot more paring down though when making their Nexus phones it seems. The Nexus 5 would have been such an amazing phone if it had been the LG G2 in a different shell. A Nexus with an above-par camera, superb battery life AND only 5 inches? I would be still using it now if this phone had existed.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Yeah, three generations of LG Nexuses (Nexi?) is way too much. I wish Google wouldn't stick with the same manufacturer for subsequent generations. Sony would be refreshing - it would be nice to see a Nexus based on a Z5/Z6. It doesn't have to offer Nexus like pricing - the 6P is pricey, and even the Motorola Nexus 6 was really (unnecessarily) expensive to start with - $650.

I would love to see a smaller Nexus flagship, something in the Nexus 5 footprint!

Repeating vendors is fine if they provide a nice enough device. The Motorola N6 was a bit of high price, although not that bad compared to the competition, but kind of high for a Nexus device. Overall, the device is pretty nice. The 6p seems great from reviews (I have a Motorola N6) and if I were to replace my N6 today, it would be with a 6p.

I think the biggest problem is LG has only managed an ok job with their Nexuses. I would love to see a Sony Nexus, but I don't see that happening. Huawei seems to be doing a great job though. Google seemed to ask them to make a great device and so they actually did.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I think the problem is due to the enforced software encryption on the 5X.

I wonder though. I have run my N6 both encrypted and unencrypted and there is no noticeable speed difference as far as I can tell. I would think the 5X should be able to handle it OK.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Isn't that more of a software problem? Is the S808 actually faster than the S800?

Honestly I think what holds back the 5X is 2GB of RAM. It simply isn't enough anymore.

My friend has a Nexus 6 with 3GB of RAM and the percentage used is exactly the same as my phone with 2GB- Android can use what you have. Plus we know from credible people that the Note 5 with 4GB of RAM is a better experience than the S6 despite the same SoC otherwise. Despite Google's attempts to run well on low end devices with 1GB of RAM, Android loves RAM.

In fact I bet 4GB is not the ceiling. I bet we will have 8GB phones before more RAM stops helping the experience.

I won't get a new phone till it has 4GB. That alone might push me to the Galaxy S7. I am sick of lag.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
With all the crapware Samsung ships it's phone with, I wonder if even 16gb ram will be enough... I would wait for CM to come up with something before buying S7

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I just bought a 16GB 5X, going to pick it up from Best Buy in a few hours.

I'm curious whether it really suffers from not having enough RAM with a debloated, CM-based ROM.
My Moto X (2013) doesn't have a significant lag problem, but it's a 720p device with a minimal Lollipop ROM.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I just bought a 16GB 5X, going to pick it up from Best Buy in a few hours.

I'm curious whether it really suffers from not having enough RAM with a debloated, CM-based ROM.
A dev buddy of mine also got a 5x and he has a nexus 6 too. Running his kernel, elite kernel, says there is no lag like people describe.

Feb 19, 2001
Why is the 5x so laggy? The 5x's NAND is actually faster than the 6P so I don't understand. The CPU shouldn't be that big of a factor given the Nexus 5 isn't laggy at all and its much slower.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I really think it sucks at RAM management and/or killing rogue processes. It needs to be rebooted A LOT. More than any other phone I've had. Once it starts to studder it's over. It will just get worse until it's unusable. Get that first hint of lag and just do yourself a favor and reboot.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Wthe Nexus 5 isn't laggy

That is not my experience. Maybe if you're just bone stock with no other apps.

I admit that I do have FB Messenger (got rid of the FB app, at least), and a couple other apps like Tasker and Cerberus that run in the background, but it's a lag-fest at least once a day. All keyboards I've tried (Google, Swiftkey, Fleksy, Minuum) fall behind many times while messaging.

Even my PIN screen lags.

And the 5X lag is easily explained by the software encryption. It's pretty well documented in Anandtech's own review. It's a lot of extra overhead, on a phone that has hardware support.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Yeah, I'm gonna try that out first before making a final decision.

One more thing. Bluetooth. I am not the only one. I have my 6P paired with my Alpine car stereo and my Jawbone Era headset. I cannot add my TaoTronics portable bluetooth speaker nor my Sony bluetooth headphones. The 6P just cannot see them. That is not acceptable. Google says an update addressing bluetooth is forthcoming. Frustrating.

Well, I waited until the February update to see if that would fix my Bluetooth issue. It did. One less thing to complain about. Yay!

I also been using Nova Launcher and I like the subtle changes I have made. Still think I'm going to unlock and root the device. It will be my next project when I'm off on the coming Monday.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Well, I waited until the February update to see if that would fix my Bluetooth issue. It did. One less thing to complain about. Yay!

I also been using Nova Launcher and I like the subtle changes I have made. Still think I'm going to unlock and root the device. It will be my next project when I'm off on the coming Monday.
I'm on the 6p and haven't received the ota yet. I wonder if it also matters what carrier you are on. I'm on T-Mobile/Metro.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

glad its fixed. seemed like an odd issue

I got the update yesterday (VZW)

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
I haven't had any issues with the 6P and Bluetooth. It's always paired to my Pebble Time, and it works fine with my car's infotainment system (MyFordTouch/Sync 2) w/o any issues. The only problem I have is the Pebble Time/smartwatches are a battery hog! If I turn off BT on the Pebble, my battery life increases a ton (but obv. defeats the purpose of a smartwatch).

I haven't received the Feb. OTA on my 6P (on ATT) or my Nexus 5 (WiFi toy). Also, my N5 isn't laggy at all. It is extremely snappy and I'd say it's on par for day to day with the 6P. I don't do any gaming on my phones.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I wonder what the sauce is that keeps your N5's lag-free.

Android's reporting tools are garbage.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I'm on the 6p and haven't received the ota yet. I wonder if it also matters what carrier you are on. I'm on T-Mobile/Metro.

Here's info from Google on how updates are pushed out. https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/fOAWe8jMRsQ

A buddy of mine told me that his wife got the update a few days before mine. Since his 6P is rooted he had to get the release through XDA since he could no longer receive OTA updates on his device.

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
Just uninstalled Facebook + Facebook Messenger on my 6P and immediately noticed a difference in speed/snappiness. Plus my battery has been A LOT better (I was even using Amplify to try and tame FB wakelocks/alarms). Using 'Tinfoil for Facebook' instead of the FB app and 'Disa' for a FB Messenger replacement.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Just uninstalled Facebook + Facebook Messenger on my 6P and immediately noticed a difference in speed/snappiness. Plus my battery has been A LOT better (I was even using Amplify to try and tame FB wakelocks/alarms). Using 'Tinfoil for Facebook' instead of the FB app and 'Disa' for a FB Messenger replacement.
Definitely did that too i use it in the browser. Battery is so much better.

Radeon962

Jan 1, 2005

Your experience seems to fit well with what others are finding in that the FB is a battery drain as well as slows down the phone.

http://bgr.com/2016/02/01/facebook-android-app-battery-life-performance/

So, uninstalling the Facebook app saves both battery and speeds up Android phones, it seems.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Has anybody tried uninstalling just the messenger app? In my experience that seems to be the biggest culprit of battery life issues. The FB app itself didn't seem to make much of a different, it was messenger that was the worst for me.