9/29 Google Press Event Discussion (Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X)

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Here's why I like Google Fi:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=E46B...4A82A!6794&parId=E46BB480E134A82A!128&o=OneUp

:)

I didn't even use 100mb last month. And that's still with using a ton of email, some GPS, and forum/reddit browsing on my phone.
.905 GB = 900 MB ;)

Looks nice, but I'm scared to switch because T-mobile/Sprint coverage. I'm paying about $60 after taxes/fees for AT&T 6 GB rollover plan. I usually have ~9-12 GB of data each month since I tend to rollover most of my data to the next month. It's actually cost effective to stay on this plan rather than downgrading to save money.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Has anybody tried uninstalling just the messenger app? In my experience that seems to be the biggest culprit of battery life issues. The FB app itself didn't seem to make much of a different, it was messenger that was the worst for me.
Yup I also got rid of messenger too. Now people complain when they message me on Facebook and I don't reply. Since I don't get a notification in chrome for it like I do for Facebook stuff. But its better that way.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
i used 18 GB last month

would cost me the same if i only used 100 megs
I'm on metro pcs. $60 unlimited plan. Great coverage where I live and work. I use about 5-6gb a month maybe more. Definitely more if I were to flash roms and such. I pay $55 a month since I put my mother and sister on my plan too.

BW86

Lifer
Jul 20, 2004
Here's why I like Google Fi:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=E46B...4A82A!6794&parId=E46BB480E134A82A!128&o=OneUp

:)

I didn't even use 100mb last month. And that's still with using a ton of email, some GPS, and forum/reddit browsing on my phone.

Nice - Here's mine

sasx0HE.png

Dec 10, 2005
I would definitely have gotten a 5x and subscribed to Google Fi if there's no stupid $20/month 'entry fee'. Still a bit miffed every time I think of that.

What's wrong with the $20/month base rate for unlimited talk/text?

I switched to Fi on my 5x in early January and so far, I've been quite happy with the service. Especially since I switched from that 100 minute/5GB T-Mobile plan. I wasn't using much data anyway, and then I think I was limiting myself on calls (I don't talk much on the phone, but still, it was a barrier in my mind to using the calling part of the phone).

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Got my Nexus 5X, flashed latest Resurrection Remix (includes a custom kernel and root) ROM to it. Installed all my apps (~50), none of which is a messaging or social app except Twitter, which is the only one I use. Email is set to sync every 15 minutes.

No lag, no issues. Even with a few apps open in the background and with browsing (Firefox, with uBlock Origin installed, though AdAway is also enabled) I have ~40%/600MB RAM free most of the time. I could only get the SoC to throttle with screen brightness cranked up and after running several 3DMark tests consecutively (averaged 1060 in "Sling Shot using ES 3.1" without throttling, ~900 after); it hasn't heated up or throttled otherwise. At idle/low usage the cores are at 30-32C.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the people experiencing lag are using Facebook Messenger or maybe some combination of resource hungry apps, or maybe perhaps vanilla Marshmallow has some specific issue on the 5X. I'll report back if I experience any lag or slowdown, but so far so good. Fastest Android device I've owned so far and love it overall. Great value for $300, even if it's not quite as premium (it's very light - lighter than my 2013 Moto X, which is smaller - and plastic, but it's a decent matte plastic) as the $600 and $700 phones. Only minor annoyance is the vibration motor, which feels/sounds a little cheap and chirpy, so I disabled it for screen presses. Too early to tell about battery life, though I expect it should last long between charges (very little drain so far on standby, though). I have to test the camera more, too.

I ordered a Project Fi SIM, which should be coming in tomorrow or Monday. Ordered a case, as well:

713j8y2n75L._SL1439_.jpg

Last edited:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
What's wrong with the $20/month base rate for unlimited talk/text?

Because I won't use the 'unlimited' voice/txt. If they had charged say 5c per minute/txt I would've only paid about $7/month for them. It could even go to zero (for the minute/txt) if I decide to go full data and piped my voice/txt through Hangouts. It's a completely wasted $20/month for me, and would have been a pure entry fee.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Because I won't use the 'unlimited' voice/txt. If they had charged say 5c per minute/txt I would've only paid about $7/month for them. It could even go to zero (for the minute/txt) if I decide to go full data and piped my voice/txt through Hangouts. It's a completely wasted $20/month for me, and would have been a pure entry fee.

Then it sounds like you rarely call or text anyone. Nothing wrong with $20/mo. fee for unlimited talk/text. That's a really good deal. That's not an entry fee. It's the cost for unlimited talk/text even if you don't use it. You'd be better off with a pre-paid plan where you can pay for only the minutes you use.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Then it sounds like you rarely call or text anyone. Nothing wrong with $20/mo. fee for unlimited talk/text. That's a really good deal. That's not an entry fee. It's the cost for unlimited talk/text even if you don't use it. You'd be better off with a pre-paid plan where you can pay for only the minutes you use.

It doesn't just sound like it, it is a fact. And it would have been an entry fee for me if I had subscribed to Fi, as I clearly stated. Obviously I have a complete understanding of my situation and what I'd be better off with, since I've never subscribed with Fi. Not sure where the disconnect is that you had to post this :)

I wasn't criticizing a $20/month unlimited talk/txt fee. I was simply explaining why I dislike a $20/month base rate for a Fi plan, because someone asked.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
They said during their quarterly that the Nexus line was under-performing.

No need to guess.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
They said during their quarterly that the Nexus line was under-performing.

No need to guess.

Yeah but they didn't really break it down right?

I think the 6P isn't doing that bad. It has only had a sale or two, and the biggest one was on just the gold color. The best 6P deal I have seen is $50 off plus $25 Best Buy card.

Meanwhile you can get a 5X for almost $75 off every other week it feels like.

Hopefully the message Google takes from this is "build a better Nexus and people will buy it."

Knowing how Google acts in the past though I wouldn't be surprised if they heard "stop making Nexuses."

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Yeah but they didn't really break it down right?

I think the 6P isn't doing that bad. It has only had a sale or two, and the biggest one was on just the gold color. The best 6P deal I have seen is $50 off plus $25 Best Buy card.

Meanwhile you can get a 5X for almost $75 off every other week it feels like.

Hopefully the message Google takes from this is "build a better Nexus and people will buy it."

Knowing how Google acts in the past though I wouldn't be surprised if they heard "stop making Nexuses."

What Google might do is anyone's guess, but at least with the 5X, there was too much cutting corners for the cost. A 16gb base model needs to go out the window already. It also has a mediocre battery life and a crappy speaker. While the latter may not be a main selling point to some, it is pretty irritating. Google kept allowing shit speakers until the N6, why go back to one with the 5X? Its best feature is its camera, but the 6P has the same one.

For $100 more (32bg model), the 6P just offers an overall better package.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I was so on the fence when ordering back in November. I really do hate metal phones. And I just did not want the size of the 6P. Even my G4 was at the edge of what I wanted to carry every day. The 5X was closer in size to what I wanted and I just have a preference for plastic builds since I also loath cases. Metal is cold and slippery.

What put me over the edge was the 6P was out of stock when I ordered my 5X so there was no more debating. But I read so much about people trading up to the 6P and being happier.....

Uhg. Just wish Google could take the camera from the 5X/6P and drop it in a Moto device at 5" with an AMOLED and functioning ambient display and call it a day.