9/11 Remembering the Jumpers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: beat mania
Originally posted by: Kadarin
Originally posted by: CKent
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Fuck Terrorists. Fuck Wahabbi Islam.
In essence, fuck Muslims. You can't blame a religion, it's an inanimate concept. It's the people who fanatically follow it and use it to justify such horrors who are at fault. Further, it's hardly "only the radicals". By the standards of other religions, most Muslims are radical.
I joined the AT forums in November of '01 (my alias at the time was "Astaroth33"), and for a long time I was posting a significant amount of vehemently anti-Muslim rhetoric. Right now, a guy who I consider to be one of my best friends happens to be Muslim, and he taught me that not all Muslims are against the American way of life.
Just a few bad seeds.
Do you people just selectively not remember news stories? The entire population of a muslim nation called for a woman to be killed for naming a teddy bar Mohammed. There was widespread celebration in the streets of many muslim nations after 9/11. There might be a few nonpracticing muslims out there who aren't raving lunatics, but they're the exception.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Eli
I have been watching the History Channel all day, and yes I've shed quite a few tears, but I find it all morbidly fascinating. It's like experiencing it all over again. Has this happened every year?

It seems like this is the first time I've seen so much about it. So much never seen before footage, commentaries, etc. Is 7 years the sweet spot? lol

I saw many people jump today, probably the same ones in this video. You can't do anything but stare with your jaw on the floor, just as everybody that was witness did on that day.

and in 30 years you will have a guy like the Iranian President say it never happened.

People will believe it never happened

brownzilla786

Dec 18, 2005
In essence, fuck Muslims. You can't blame a religion, it's an inanimate concept. It's the people who fanatically follow it and use it to justify such horrors who are at fault. Further, it's hardly "only the radicals". By the standards of other religions, most Muslims are radical.
I joined the AT forums in November of '01 (my alias at the time was "Astaroth33"), and for a long time I was posting a significant amount of vehemently anti-Muslim rhetoric. Right now, a guy who I consider to be one of my best friends happens to be Muslim, and he taught me that not all Muslims are against the American way of life.
Just a few bad seeds.
Do you people just selectively not remember news stories? The entire population of a muslim nation called for a woman to be killed for naming a teddy bar Mohammed. There was widespread celebration in the streets of many muslim nations after 9/11. There might be a few nonpracticing muslims out there who aren't raving lunatics, but they're the exception.

Joe Arab turns on the news and finds a clip of Bush giving a speech. Thousands of people attend the speech and applause when he talks. This means that all of America agrees with Bush.

Your very smart.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Just a few bad seeds.

Every Muslim I've met has been a well-educated, rational, peace-loving, law-abiding person. I guess I'm really good at meeting the exceptions

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

You're right. Not all, just most.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl

You are part of the biggest problem i have flxnimprtmscl, Ckent and Ocguy.

Ocguy, i wonder what gave you the impression that "it's hardly "only the radicals""?

Kadarin, i pretty much made the same discovery after i did my first tour, on this prolonged tour i see it more like protecting the society from the Talibans, the society is Muslim and they are good people, the Taliban are not good people, in fact, they are the most disgusting group i have ever come across and i have seen some shit in my 20+ years as a Soldier.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield

Ocguy, i wonder what gave you the impression that "it's hardly "only the radicals""?

Kadarin, i pretty much made the same discovery after i did my first tour, on this prolonged tour i see it more like protecting the society from the Talibans, the society is Muslim and they are good people, the Taliban are not good people, in fact, they are the most disgusting group i have ever come across and i have seen some shit in my 20+ years as a Soldier.

Well, here's the thing. The same brutal and oppressive practices have been going on in Muslim nations for generations. Granted, most nations, America included, have some pretty dark practices somewhere in their history. But, civilized societies eventually become... civilized. They become more moderate. They weed out their crazy people.

So here's how I view it. There are the radicals, whatever percentage of the population they may be, and then there is the rest of the populous, which seems to condone, or at least turn a blind eye to the more extreme sort of behavior.

Now you've obviously been stationed in some Muslim nations and from what you've seen you've formed your own opinions. You may be absolutely correct. However, I'll stick with my own opinion, based upon what I've seen, until such a time as I see evidence to the contrary or have an experience similar to yours that forces me to reconsider my opinions. Take it as you will but I'm not in any way prejudiced. I've simply formed an opinion based on the evidence I've seen.

On an unrelated note, thank you for your service.

finite automaton

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2008
Well, at least a lesson was learned. If you work in a building that tall (and are on a higher floor), keep a parachute under your desk.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Just a few bad seeds.

Read the thread title. Now take your shit to P&N where it belongs and out of here please :)

Jun 26, 2007

Well, here's the thing. The same brutal and oppressive practices have been going on in Muslim nations for generations. Granted, most nations, America included, have some pretty dark practices somewhere in their history. But, civilized societies eventually become... civilized. They become more moderate. They weed out their crazy people.

So here's how I view it. There are the radicals, whatever percentage of the population they may be, and then there is the rest of the populous, which seems to condone, or at least turn a blind eye to the more extreme sort of behavior.

Now you've obviously been stationed in some Muslim nations and from what you've seen you've formed your own opinions. You may be absolutely correct. However, I'll stick with my own opinion, based upon what I've seen, until such a time as I see evidence to the contrary or have an experience similar to yours that forces me to reconsider my opinions. Take it as you will but I'm not in any way prejudiced. I've simply formed an opinion based on the evidence I've seen.

On an unrelated note, thank you for your service.

I'm sorry, either you are very young or very ignorant, who has fed you this BULLSHIT? Because that is what it is.

Yeah, lets sort out the radicals, ok, so ther's about 1.2 BILLION Muslims, we sort the radicals up and round it into once decimal and we have 1.2 BILLION Muslims.

Yes i have been stationed in five Muslim nations, the one that has affected me the most is Afghanistan, where i am now, this is a place where the population has been tortured, the crimes against the population here by the Talibans still make me vomit when i enter a camp they have been in, it's worse than you can ever imagine.

But these ... animals.. they aren't more muslim then they are christian or hindu, they are just... i don't know what to call them.

The thing is that i am defending a Muslim population against the reoccuring attacs or, not anymore, that's someone elses job now, even though i like to stay behind and stay up just so there is enough men to do this job.

You see, Islam isn't any different from Christianity when it comes to the message of love and in what cases you have the right to use force, it's the speakers, the preachers that pervert the religion into something that suddenly goes against all that it stands for and for some reason, some people follow the leaders and not the religion.

My point is that Muslims are no more violent than you or me, the KKK are Christian would you say they are more violent, Al-Fatah are Muslims, would you say they are more violent?

You get my point, i'm sure, the question is that now when you have been told, do you have the guts to find out if i'm right and more importantly, if i'm right, do you have the guts to stand by your knowledge or will it just be back to "ah yeah, damn Muslums!!!!"

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I'm sorry, either you are very young or very ignorant, who has fed you this BULLSHIT? Because that is what it is.

Yeah, lets sort out the radicals, ok, so ther's about 1.2 BILLION Muslims, we sort the radicals up and round it into once decimal and we have 1.2 BILLION Muslims.

Yes i have been stationed in five Muslim nations, the one that has affected me the most is Afghanistan, where i am now, this is a place where the population has been tortured, the crimes against the population here by the Talibans still make me vomit when i enter a camp they have been in, it's worse than you can ever imagine.

But these ... animals.. they aren't more muslim then they are christian or hindu, they are just... i don't know what to call them.

The thing is that i am defending a Muslim population against the reoccuring attacs or, not anymore, that's someone elses job now, even though i like to stay behind and stay up just so there is enough men to do this job.

You see, Islam isn't any different from Christianity when it comes to the message of love and in what cases you have the right to use force, it's the speakers, the preachers that pervert the religion into something that suddenly goes against all that it stands for and for some reason, some people follow the leaders and not the religion.

My point is that Muslims are no more violent than you or me, the KKK are Christian would you say they are more violent, Al-Fatah are Muslims, would you say they are more violent?

You get my point, i'm sure, the question is that now when you have been told, do you have the guts to find out if i'm right and more importantly, if i'm right, do you have the guts to stand by your knowledge or will it just be back to "ah yeah, damn Muslums!!!!"
:thumbsup:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: johnjohn320
Take it to P&N. Or your next clan meeting. But not here.
To my understanding, the KKK is pro-white and against other races. Last I checked, Islam is a religion followed by people of many different races. I'm also fairly sure you can choose your religion but not your skin color. If you can't think, don't post.

Hi bigot. Didn't God teach you to love all people? I guess you're a shitty christian if you don't.

DarrelSPowers

Jul 9, 2008
okay so this is slightly related to the OP...

does anyone who works in a high rise now keep a parachute at their desk?

I'm just asking this because pre-9/11 i had an internship in Albany NY's Corning tower, 42nd floor. Its the tallest building between NYC and Montreal, and I thought how awesome it would be to base jump out my cubicle's little window. But yeah, I'm kinda surprised there wasn't a single super paranoid or opportunistic base jumper in any of the upper floors of the WTC towers.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
America needs to come to terms with the fact that most Muslims are not terrorists, and Muslims need to come to terms with the fact that most terrorists are Muslims.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000

I wondered what happened to that poster.

Screw you for changing your alias.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I was never really one to care too much about 9/11, but that video made me feel so shitty.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: DarrelSPowers

I'm just asking this because pre-9/11 i had an internship in Albany NY's Corning tower, 42nd floor. Its the tallest building between NYC and Montreal, and I thought how awesome it would be to base jump out my cubicle's little window. But yeah, I'm kinda surprised there wasn't a single super paranoid or opportunistic base jumper in any of the upper floors of the WTC towers.

Right, then the NSA or whoever hauls you off to one of those secret Hungarian prisons for a chat because they think you knew it was coming. Better than being a stain I guess.

I would have definitely left the second tower and gone home. What are they going to do, block the doors to keep people in? It's not like you'd need to be there the rest of the day. "OK people, show's over. Back to work!"

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DarrelSPowers

Just don't tell anyone else that you have it. Because if shit does happen to go down, they are gonna beat your f*&king ass to get to that parachute.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Ker-splat! Seriously though, I can't imagine what was going through their heads when they jumped like that. My guess is that they were great pain and discomfort from the intense heat and smoke and simply realized that was their one and only option.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: brownzilla786
Your very smart.
The ironing, it's delicious.
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Hi bigot. Didn't God teach you to love all people? I guess you're a shitty christian if you don't.
:confused:

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Just a few bad seeds.

The entire population of a christian nation called for middle eastern nations primarily comprised of muslims to be violently and illegally overthrown simply because the christians hate their way of life. Don't you read the news? There may be a few Christians who aren't raving lunatics, but they obviously don't live in the USA.

/view of much of the muslim world

Good to be reminded right around 9/11 that the whacko muslims have their whacko counterparts right here in the US. As if I could forget. Its ignorant people like you and ignorant people like them who are responsible for these things.