9/11 Remembering the Jumpers

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: CKent
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Fuck Terrorists. Fuck Wahabbi Islam.
In essence, fuck Muslims. You can't blame a religion, it's an inanimate concept. It's the people who fanatically follow it and use it to justify such horrors who are at fault. Further, it's hardly "only the radicals". By the standards of other religions, most Muslims are radical.

Really. You're a radical just for saying that too. So go fuck yourself as well.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX
I know one thing is for sure: I would of fucking jumped too.
I wouldn't have jumped until the flames were lapping at my feet.

I would have rather gone down with the building than jump. That would have just been sheer chaos, not really knowing WTF was going on.

Jumping? OMG. That would be the longest 13 seconds of your life.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Eli

I would have rather gone down with the building than jump. That would have just been sheer chaos, not really knowing WTF was going on.

The hell with that. You wouldn't be able to breathe by the time the fire was lapping at your feet. Yea, it would be the longest and the last 13 seconds of my life, but seeing a raging inferno keep getting closer and closer and closer and hotter and hotter and hotter... no way in hell.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

The hell with that. You wouldn't be able to breathe by the time the fire was lapping at your feet. Yea, it would be the longest and the last 13 seconds of my life, but seeing a raging inferno keep getting closer and closer and closer and hotter and hotter and hotter... no way in hell.
Well true.. I just mean, lapping at any part of my body, lol. I would much rather fall to my death than burn to death.

I suppose that's the way it must have been. The people most certainly wouldn't have jumped unless they had to.

I wonder if holding onto something like a sheet would slow you down enough to maybe just break your legs?

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004

Well true.. I just mean, lapping at any part of my body, lol. I would much rather fall to my death than burn to death.

I suppose that's the way it must have been. The people most certainly wouldn't have jumped unless they had to.

I wonder if holding onto something like a sheet would slow you down enough to maybe just break your legs?

LOL. Do you keep a sheet in your office for emergency parachute purposes only?

On a side note, I HIGHLY doubt it. It might slow you down from doing ~120 MPH to 119? Yea, I think you're still dead.

---

Old thread. Dead link. Too much bigotry.

Harvey
Senior AnandTech Moderator

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006

at that height, holding onto anything would have been nearly impossible and probably just dislocate your shoulders trying to hold that force.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: zoiks
In essence, fuck Muslims. You can't blame a religion, it's an inanimate concept. It's the people who fanatically follow it and use it to justify such horrors who are at fault. Further, it's hardly "only the radicals". By the standards of other religions, most Muslims are radical.
Really? I don't remember praying 5 times today and then strapping a bomb to my chest or flying a plane into any buildings. Whoops! Looks like I'm a member of the civilized world.

ppdes

May 16, 2004
>one brave final decision to take control of how they would perish

There's no chance of surviving the jump and falling bodies can hurt others at the base of the building. What if you hit a doctor or a fireman who would have saved multiple people later had you not taken them out? Jumping is cowardly and despicable in this case.

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by: ppdes

There's no chance of surviving the jump and falling bodies can hurt others at the base of the building. What if you hit a doctor or a fireman who would have saved multiple people later had you not taken them out? Jumping is cowardly and despicable in this case.

Idiot

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: lykaon78

Idiot
You do realize an NYC firefighter was killed when he was struck by a jumper, right?

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: lykaon78

Idiot
You do realize an NYC firefighter was killed when he was struck by a jumper, right?

Well it's clearly not the muslims' fault, and we've gotta blame someone. Those dumbasses should have died in a fire, right OT?

EricMartello

Apr 17, 2003
Burning to death is probably one of the more painful ways to die, especially if you are slowly roasted and not quickly consumed in an explosive blast. The people who survived the initial crash could only be slowly burned, so jumping is simply the lesser of two evils in this case...10 seconds of fresh air then BAM, you're roadkill -instant death, no pain.

For some perspective, the US military dropped incendiary bombs on Japan during WWII - burning most of their major cities to the ground. The incendiary bombs killed many civilians, and unlike the tower jumpers, their only option was to experience Iron Chef from the food's perspective. The number of people killed by the atomic bombs pale in comparison to the numbers the US killed with incendiary bombs. So yeah, we lost the WTC but compared to the things we as a nation have done...if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: CatchPhrase
How many would have died if everybody had a parachute?
Also why did they jump? Did they KNOW 100% that they would die?

Eventually "fight or flight" kicks in and your brain tells your body to GTFO out NOW. It is pure animal instinct to get away from a severely painful and deadly situation.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Moving video. Adagio for Strings does it every time!

And yes, I would have jumped if my only choice was that or burn.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: EricMartello
Burning to death is probably one of the more painful ways to die, especially if you are slowly roasted and not quickly consumed in an explosive blast. The people who survived the initial crash could only be slowly burned, so jumping is simply the lesser of two evils in this case...10 seconds of fresh air then BAM, you're roadkill -instant death, no pain.

For some perspective, the US military dropped incendiary bombs on Japan during WWII - burning most of their major cities to the ground. The incendiary bombs killed many civilians, and unlike the tower jumpers, their only option was to experience Iron Chef from the food's perspective. The number of people killed by the atomic bombs pale in comparison to the numbers the US killed with incendiary bombs. So yeah, we lost the WTC but compared to the things we as a nation have done...if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

You do realize that by dropping the atom bombs we saved hundreds of thousands, if not millions of lives....right?

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: zoiks
Really? I don't remember praying 5 times today and then strapping a bomb to my chest or flying a plane into any buildings. Whoops! Looks like I'm a member of the civilized world.

I've prayed 3/5 times today so far, and...I haven't strapped a bomb to my chest, and I couldn't fly a plane if my life depended on it. So I guess my point is, fuck you!

EricMartello

Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: nick1985

You do realize that by dropping the atom bombs we saved hundreds of thousands, if not millions of lives....right?

You do realize you ignored the part about the US Fire-bombing and killing many thousands of japanese civilians for the greater duration of the US involvement in WWII, which effectively negate any lives we "saved" by nuking them. Furthermore, your statement is based on heresay - it is highly unlikely that the Japanese could have mounted a substantial assault on the US at the time we decided to nuke them. At that point, their navy was in shambles, they were out of raw materials and most of their major cities were smoldering piles of ash. We killed more jap civilians than hitler killed jews...What I am saying is that the WTC was bad but the US has been responsible for far worse in the past and people need to understand that we as a country are far from innocent.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

We killed more jap civilians than hitler killed jews...

Bullshit. According to wiki its 580k, as oppossed to 6 million Jews. And your logic that "oh well, they were basically defeated anyway...we should have left them alone" is almost as stupid. get a clue

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

You do realize you ignored the part about the US Fire-bombing and killing many thousands of japanese civilians for the greater duration of the US involvement in WWII, which effectively negate any lives we "saved" by nuking them. Furthermore, your statement is based on heresay - it is highly unlikely that the Japanese could have mounted a substantial assault on the US at the time we decided to nuke them. At that point, their navy was in shambles, they were out of raw materials and most of their major cities were smoldering piles of ash. We killed more jap civilians than hitler killed jews...What I am saying is that the WTC was bad but the US has been responsible for far worse in the past and people need to understand that we as a country are far from innocent.

Woah woah woah there slugger...
1. We did not kill more Japanese civilians than Hilter killed Jews.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties
580k Japanese civilian deaths; 6 million Jews died in the holocaust.
2. China suffered 16 million civilian deaths. Who were they fighting against?
3. Soviet Union had 11 million civilian deaths. Fighting against Germany.
4. Germany had 1.6 million civilian deaths during the American Reign of Terror.
5. It's great that we saved a lot of Japanese lives by nuking instead of invading, but I think we were more interested in saving American lives.
6. Japan was the aggressor. They could have surrendered when it became obvious that they were going to lose, but they kept fighting. They forced our hand. Japan's civilian death's are Japan's fault.

Lurknomore

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2005

QFT
That we would "need" to "save" Japan from itself by possibly sacrificing millions just to implement our unconditional surrender clause is a reflection of our patronizing worldview that still exists today.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Lurknomore

QFT
That we would "need" to "save" Japan from itself by possibly sacrificing millions just to implement our unconditional surrender clause is a reflection of our patronizing worldview that still exists today.

I love revisionist history where one of the worst offenders against basic human rights (imperial japan) recieves sympathy from today's so called do-gooders. Go read about the rape of nanking, or a number of the countless horrible things japan did during WWII...then go feel sorry for them.

Lurknomore

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2005

QFT

I love revisionist history where one of the worst offenders against basic human rights (imperial japan) recieves sympathy from today's so called do-gooders. Go read about the rape of nanking, or a number of the countless horrible things japan did during WWII...then go feel sorry for them.

'Cept for the holocaust part (yeah Hitler did kill more I agree), let's keep the european and asian theaters separate. And we wouldn't have invaded Japan just to avenge wrongs against China- that is pure nonsense. We could care less about what had happened in 1937 ( just where the fuck was the US on this issue?), so don't give me your bullcrap about Nanking trying to justify the 2 nukes. And yes, I did read "The Rape of Nanking" by Iris Chang. Did you?

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

QFT

And we wouldn't have invaded Japan just to avenge wrongs against China- that is pure nonsense.

Says who....you? Who seems to know nothing of the topic?

BONK Read up before you post.

"A study done for Secretary of War Henry Stimson's staff by William Shockley estimated that conquering Japan would cost 1.7 to 4 million American casualties, including 400,000 to 800,000 fatalities, and five to ten million Japanese fatalities. The key assumption was large-scale participation by civilians in the defense of Japan.[1] "

Lurknomore

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2005

QFT

And we wouldn't have invaded Japan just to avenge wrongs against China- that is pure nonsense.

Says who....you? Who seems to know nothing of the topic?

BONK Read up before you post.

"A study done for Secretary of War Henry Stimson's staff by William Shockley estimated that conquering Japan would cost 1.7 to 4 million American casualties, including 400,000 to 800,000 fatalities, and five to ten million Japanese fatalities. The key assumption was large-scale participation by civilians in the defense of Japan.[1] "

Did you read what I had written?

I know that we had war plans to possibly invade- but as I wrote earlier, it had nothing to do with what you had quoted me on. Bataan, and the treatment of our allied POWS was brutal, so I understand any revenge motive to destroy the Japanese war machine without any regard for human casualties. But we did not care about what Japan had done to China, or to the people of Burma, Phillipines, New Guinea- none whatsoever.