8th Place: A High School Girl’s Life After Transgender Students Joined Her Sport

EduCat

Feb 28, 2012

It's pretty obvious something is going to have to be done. Im pretty liberal but man o man what a mess womens sports will become. That being said I do think everyone deserves to live a happy life. lol

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Ya, I'm all for trans rights but this isn't one of them, there are definite physical differences between males and females that are not changed when someone transitions. surgery is a pretty crude way for someone to switch sexes, we don't yet have the option of changing a persons genetic makeup or skeletal structure.

look up Dr. Renee Richards

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Ya, I'm all for trans rights but this isn't one of them, there are definite physical differences between males and females that are not changed when someone transitions. surgery is a pretty crude way for someone to switch sexes, we don't yet have the option of changing a persons genetic makeup or skeletal structure.

They should probably have their own dicipline. Actually I think that would be awesome. Of course that just triggers the next concern thread from the concerned here propping up the idea that some people may opt to go for surgery to get to compete in it rather than for the identity aspect of it. There is no winning in these threads, hence the chemtrail post of mine earlier.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

Yep. Agreed. As the OP said, everyone deserves a happy life, and I agree with that, too, but not everyone deserves to do everything that makes them happy. Unfortunately this is just one of those things in life you might not get to do the exact way you want to.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It is frankly amazing to me how much time conservatives have spent pretending to care about women’s (edit) sports in a transparent attempt to find new avenues for culture war.

Last edited:
Reactions: hal2kilo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The fact that male athletes are superior to female ones with very few exceptions and women cannot compete with genetic males. This means women born female are disadvantaged and forced to be losers. That's wrong.

I question more the energy put into fighting against this injustice. This is just another front in the culture wars to distract from other much more pressing issues both socially and economically.

Nov 8, 2012
Women should fight harder instead of being losers. I thought the whole feminist movement was that they can do anything a man can do anyhow? These are just losers whining.

Oh the Iron Knee of seeing liberals doing cannibalism as they eat themselves.... When the LGBT movement clashes with the feminist movement.

*Gets popcorn*

tenor.gif

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Then show us the clashes? This is not the first incident of its type... where are the clashes? Show us?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Women should fight harder instead of being losers. I thought the whole feminist movement was that they can do anything a man can do anyhow? These are just losers whining.

Oh the Iron Knee of seeing liberals doing cannibalism as they eat themselves.... When the LGBT movement clashes with the feminist movement.

*Gets popcorn*

I think you're going to be waiting a long time as the only people who seem to think this is a big deal are conservatives arguing in bad faith about it.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

It's pretty obvious something is going to have to be done. Im pretty liberal but man o man what a mess womens sports will become. That being said I do think everyone deserves to live a happy life. lol

It's a good thing, they're getting an early start on learning to be out-competed and will be used to it by the time they're in the workforce and being paid 83 cents for every dollar a man makes.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Maybe high school sports should be segregated by sex and not gender. If you’re born male or are post op and have unnatural male hormones/testosterone in your system, you compete with other males. If you’re born female or are post op and have a lower amount of male hormones and higher amount of female hormones/estrogen then you compete with females. I’m no medical expert and could be completely wrong about this, but I don’t see why a simple physical wouldn’t be able to properly segment athletes into the appropriate category for competitive purposes.

Nov 8, 2012
Get rid of all high school sports and spend the money on actual education

Eh while I'd like to agree with you overall - it does has benefits in that it teaches proper competition. This is - afterall - a very competitive world we live in When it comes to getting a job in life and you compete with 20+ applicants, you don't get a consolation trophy in life - you don't get the job.

Personally, I think college is where we need to get rid of sports. College was literally built for people that are qualified for advanced education to attend. Not people that can run fast and throw a ball far.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

agreed. at the same time...just legalize performance enhancing drugs for everyone. Who cares, really?

...but more seriously, there's a pretty observable real problem if one athlete, because of who they are, is allowed to use hormones while competing that, for other athletes, because of who they are, is banned. It simply doesn't make sense.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Fascinating, conservatives who were opposed to Title IX and now they are showing such "concern" for women's sports.

This is another thread proving the honesty of the left. Responses are not tribal but rather a reasoned assessment.

Having said that it is unfair for natural born females to compete against transgender females for the same reasons already stated. Physical attributes not afforded natural born females.

What if Pete Sampras, Jim Courier, James Blake all retired from the men's pro tour but still young enough to play competitively identify as female and start playing the women's tour? It would soon cease to exist. Go watch clips of current players play mixed doubles. See what happens when guys serve to the women.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Why not just make gender neutral bathrooms?

And we can create trans sports along the way too.

Everyone's happy except conservaterrorists who will still find ways to try and argue against trans peeps.

Feb 4, 2009
OP has a point it just is watered down because he wants us libs to fight each other.

Ignoring the above, guys like us wanted College sports to spend the same amount of recruitment effort and the same amount of scholarship money to women’s sports as men’s sports. That’s only fair, the transgender thing gets rapidly complicated fast. Are these competitors men or women in the sense of the sport? What happens if the outcome is 80% of women’s scholarship money goes to transgendered people, is this fair?
I don’t know the answer.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm surprised that some scientific inquiry hasn't been made into athletes' performance before and after transition involving medical intervention.

Aside from this though, what would be the point of a male athlete pretending to be female purely to win a few races? Unless they're so dedicated to their sport that they're willing to completely transition for the sake of winning, then what benefit is there? Is a guy going to put on his CV that he won the girls' 100-metre championship? Surely any material advantage of having said they've won womens' such-and-such is going to evaporate in no time at all in any future opportunities that are worth a damn?

That's just aside from the living hell that someone would likely have to put themselves through at school amongst their peers to pull off (what is likely to be IMO) a fraud like this.

So I'd be interested in not only the scientific basis I've already mentioned but the actual statistical basis of what I'll refer to for the sake of argument as 'non-trans' kids competing as trans. IMO this topic stinks like the whole trans bathroom BS that conservatives like to perpetuate. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if non-trans girls are being accused of being trans (at least in some way, such as hormone abuse) in order to cast doubt on the validity of their sporting achievements.

Nov 29, 2006
I agree this is an issue and needs to be addressed. I have no issue with trans people, but a biological male shouldnt be competing in womens sports, and vice versa. Im not sure the answer, but this isnt it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Eh while I'd like to agree with you overall - it does has benefits in that it teaches proper competition. This is - afterall - a very competitive world we live in When it comes to getting a job in life and you compete with 20+ applicants, you don't get a consolation trophy in life - you don't get the job.

Personally, I think college is where we need to get rid of sports. College was literally built for people that are qualified for advanced education to attend. Not people that can run fast and throw a ball far.

well that, and exercise and organized sports are generally good for the developing brain. Nothing wrong with being athletic at any age, really. I think organized sports are a pretty good influence for kids at any age, trying to develop into sociable adults at some point. Obviously there are good and bad influences that can arise in these areas, but like anything, parents need to be engaged and make sure the programs that the kids are involved in aren't being screwed with some terrible mind-fuckery.

I tend to agree with you on the college side of sports--but I think it is still good for education, as long as we can separate the money/marketing aspect more properly from the actual role of the scholar. I've been wondering if the so-called Division one programs could be more fully-separated (most AD's are already their own separate entities from Universities--they have their own budgets and they pay themselves--very little, if any, really, revenue that those big football and basketball programs ever goes back to the University), and turn into more private, semi-pro franchises. They can remain within the town of the University, maintain their historical connection, but find a way to sever themselves from the NCAA and the bullshit veneer of pretending to exist purely because of academic reasons. Pay these guys a decent salary/offer scholarship incentives for the local university, whatever.