780 Ti user experience

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
pretty much all Kepler cards run well above what there advertised boost is.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
It has not and if not throttled the card temp close
to the VRMs is 96.2°C.

Translate the last lines of this page :

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/912-4/bruit-temperatures.html

They do have extra power circuitry. It is called "Power Balancing". That isn't to say it doesn't throttle, only that they have extra circuitry to balanced the power load.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx780ti/
With this card NVIDIA introduces a new power management strategy called Power Balancing to ensure no single supply source is overloaded. By load balancing the power source the expectation is a higher maximum overclock — something realized in my testing.

Further explained here:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/07/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_ti_video_card_review
The final improvement that we’ve added to the GeForce GTX 780 Ti is a new power balancing feature that’s been made so enthusiasts can get the most out of their overclock. As you know, the GPU gets its power from three sources: the 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors, and the PCI Express interface. Under normal conditions, the power sent to the GPU is balanced across these three sources, but when a user overclocks their graphics card they can unbalance the power delivery and draw more power from one source than the others, potentially maxing it out. With this new feature we can steer power from one input to another, so if you max out one power source, you can draw more power from the others to make up the difference. When overclocking, users should be able to push the GeForce GTX 780 Ti even further than they have with prior GeForce GTX TITAN/GTX 780 GPUs thanks to this feature.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
They do have extra power circuitry. It is called "Power Balancing". That isn't to say it doesn't throttle, only that they have extra circuitry to balanced the power load.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx780ti/

Further explained here:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/07/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_ti_video_card_review

For me thoses explanations do not make sense at all ,
it s not like the usual rail cant output 500W if needed
for an overclocked card.

Why suddenly pumping power from secondary rails
whould be more efficient.?.

Besides the rails provided by the PCIe connectors have much higher serial resistance , i would even add that it s not cautious to try to drain high current through the MB electrical tracks , this sound to me as a necessity due to a limited GPU usual power supply rather than an actual feature.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
For me thoses explanations do not make sense at all ,
it s not like the usual rail cant output 500W if needed
for an overclocked card.

Why suddenly pumping power from secondary rails
whould be more efficient.?.

Besides the rails provided by the PCIe connectors have much higher serial resistance , i would even add that it s not cautious to try to drain high current through the MB electrical tracks , this sound to me as a necessity due to a limited GPU usual power supply rather than an actual feature.

It may be necessary for high OCing, but it is a feature, or a necessity that has never existed before.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Very impressive results! Sounds like you got a really good chip. I might have missed it, but any plans for alternative cooling or are you sticking to reference?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
pretty much all Kepler cards run well above what there advertised boost is.

Yup, out of the box my Zotac 770 is supposed to boost to 1098 but mine boosts to 1150 without touching a single thing at all which i think is fantastic and temperatures on load stay usually around a max of 75cel.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
yup, still on reference cooling and plan on sticking with it.

I have 2 reference 780's that I'll be looking to move soon if anybody is interested

tg2708

May 23, 2013
Itching to get the 780 but I think I can hold out awhile longer because the verdict has not been decided on the 290/x. At least their is no aftermarket cards for amd that will make deciding which to go with easier. And then again at the resolution I play at I still think their is no need for such cards but the price is right especially that 290. Main draw to nvidia is phys x, weird but true because I love the extra eye candy.

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Threads like this make me want to unload my 680 and get a Ti. I need to force myself to wait until there are games that actually need it for me.

Which aftermarket cooler is the best bang for your buck for a 780? Will they work with the ti, pictures looked like a slightly different PCB.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Says 1,335 MHz Core, 1,740 MHz mem.

13235 is the best you can get from your classified on water?

That's about as good as it gets on water for a 780. You can get a few more hundred on that if you have one of the golden 780s that can clock to 1500 on 1.35V, or use an EVBOT to run an insane 1.5V+ through it to brute force it there, but anything significantly higher is done on LN2.

That score is a 1409/3600 clocked 780. It's not entirely game stable, I have to do 1359/7200 to pass any game.