780 Ti user experience

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah at first I thought why bother it will hardly be an upgrade, basically the same performance without needing a massive overclock like I have now, just a mild one. But when I considered that I always sell my cards when I replace them it made a lot more sense, it's generally easier to sell reference cards than custom water-cooled cards as well. Plus I like the idea of having the full chip for some reason.

Now you know what it's like. Invest all that time and effort in overclocking, overvolting, and water cooling then a few months later something new is released that performs better without the need for any of that.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Now you know what it's like. Invest all that time and effort in overclocking, overvolting, and water cooling then a few months later something new is released that performs better without the need for any of that.

Sounds like a great problem!

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008

I'll probably still push them as hard as possible though. :) Just not on water, already swapped my water setup 3 times on 28nm; 680s, Titans & 780s. I can't be bothered to get blocks and redo it again.

Probably will be months and months till my step-up comes up anyways. The queue is reallllllly long and hasn't moved in a week.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

This is the exact reason I never became interested in OCing video cards. The benefit is usually minimal anyway, but whats worse is what you pointed out. I just pick a card that makes sense to me then I get two of them and it suits me very well.
If they released the best off the architecture at the start of the cycle, then OCing would be justified IMO. It would be about a good year before the edge OCing gave you was lost. For AMD people, I think ocing the 290 series with water might be worth it and hold the edge for a good while.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008

I beg to differ on that statement with the exception of water...

With the exception of water cooling it's not very much time nor effort. You can OC and overvolt in an evening or weekend for the most part (might need fine tuning now and then if right at the edge)... A pretty small investment of time especially if it's part of the hobby. Some cards just beg to be overclocked (7950/70, 780/ti) since they came clocked quite low. Others, not so much. Since there is almost never too many FPS, why not take the extra performance especially if you can get 20%+ better performance.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Mine won't OC more than 50mhz, not worth it. Its crazy fast anyway being the OC version so no need to go higher :D

Shadowplay is good times :D

Wish i could fine a easy to use cheap/free video editor though. No wonder people pirate Vegas/adobe products..sheesh.

Feb 19, 2009
Have you guys gave much thought to NOT go with a full waterblock that becomes incompatible with a new GPU, rather, go with a universal GPU die water block only?

Use the reference plate to passively cool the ram and VRM (it seems to work wonders), since its often the case, the reference metal plate actually keep the VRMs cooler than custom coolers, due to either no heatsink at all, or tiny ones.

That way, you can have a water loop, and when you upgrade, its still usable. You dont need to folk out $$ for a new waterblock. If anything, all the reference plate needs is some active airflow into it and I reckon it will do a fine job.

Thoughts?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

Overclocking hardly requires much effort unless you are going for the last 1-2%. Many cards had 20-30% overclocking headroom for "free" with something as simple as adjusting the voltage slider in MSI AB/EVGA Precision and then the GPU clock slider and press Apply. Maybe 5 min of work after downloading MSi AB and then you would spend 1-2 hours stress-testing various apps. Cards like 6800GT, GTX460/470, 560Ti, 5850, 7950/7970, GTX780 overclocked rather well with minimal effort required. GTX780Ti can clock to 1250mhz+ which is a solid 20-25% increase over stock clocks, and it takes about 5 min to do this in EVGA Precision.

Another way to look at it, someone had to spend $1000 on a Titan and another person got faster performance out of MSI Lighting/EVGA Classy for $300 less after 5 min of overclocking. Same with HD7950 OCfor $280 >>> stock $450 / $500 HD7970GE/680, etc. Not overclocking is like throwing $ and/or free performance away. If money or 20-30% extra performance for free doesn't matter, then sure overclocking doesn't matter. Even if money is not a factory, why not get 20-30% more performance for yourself from the card you already have?

. Since there is almost never too many FPS, why not take the extra performance especially if you can get 20%+ better performance.

Yup. Right now people are paying $300 more for < 20% increase on 780Ti vs. R9 290. Not overclocking is in many cases means leaving 20-30% of GPU performance on the table. Also, GPU overclocking tends to provide a more tangible increase in FPS than CPU overclocking, which means it actually matter more than CPU overclocking for most modern systems.

Last edited:

Spidre

Nov 6, 2013
Just got my 780 TI yesterday. I didn't have much time with it, but this is my impression so far.

It's smaller and quieter then my 770 lightning, but still not as quiet as I would like. The rest of my fans are silent. When I assembled and tested it in my basement I couldn't hear it at all, but when I set it up at my desk (which has it wedged between a wall and the side of a desk) it was noticeable. It also had a slight buzzing sound when it was first warming up. I think the tight space it's in really amplifies the acoustics.

Using the benchmark that came with the EVGA software (which I think was valley) it scored 124.2 fps average at stock (1080p with no AA). Valley said the card was running at 1300 mhz, but EVGA precision clocked it at around 1130.

Playing BF4 on max (no scaling) it usually got around 80-100 fps with fraps running (not recording). The card didn't throttle after an hour of playing, temps floating around 80-83.

Didn't get a chance to try any overclocking. If anyone wants to give me some tips, I'm no expert at this.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Another way to look at it, someone had to spend $1000 on a Titan and another person got faster performance out of MSI Lighting/EVGA Classy for $300 less after 5 min of overclocking.

Although I agree with your points, to be fair, the TITAN can also overclock, which is why I prefer OC vs OC comparisons, the downside being that OC headroom is variable.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Although I agree with your points, to be fair, the TITAN can also overclock, which is why I prefer OC vs OC comparisons, the downside being that OC headroom is variable.
yes but it's been shown that an overclocked Titan is really no better than overclock 780. The non reference card is what I'm referring to as they seem to overclock better than a Titan.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Don't worry about it. I've never found a correlation between ASIC scores and air overclocking. Some of my best air overclocks with the Kepler GPU were with so-so ASIC's.

Dont' sweat it.

Off topic, but I can't PM you :twisted: Just curious, what does your 780 SC Acx card boost to out of the box?

Unoid

Dec 20, 2012

Sometimes I forget I'm not on xtremesystems forums, and I wanna laugh at you all for not being extreme!

But I agree, I stopped watercooling my gpu's too much hassle. CPU's though NEED WATER