720 Dunk in a basketball game ... yes, 2 360's in a row.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
so how come these guys are not in the NBA...is it that they have flashy moves but lack the needed skills for the NBA?

VanTheMan

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: AStar617
Originally posted by: VanTheMan
nice dunk, but this doesn't look like all that when you've seen people land triple back tucks + full layout off of a teeterboard.

Kindly destroy your Man Card at your earliest convenience. :p

Pfft, no way! Gymnastics is wicked hard! It took me quite awhile to get my handstand press on the blocks. :) I gave props to the dunker and I didn't down him, but that kind of aerial manuever doesn't stack up to routine aerial manuevers performed in gymnastics.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: jjsole
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: GeneValgene
Originally posted by: Pastore
Not even close to 360. His back is to the hoop when he takes off. He then angles from the front of the basket to the side, saving himself another quarter turn. He actually does only about 1 1/4 turns in the air, certainly less than 1 1/2 turns. Call it somewhere between 480 and 540, he's not even close to doing a 720.

Jesus you guys are a bunch of retards. I could say, "Hey, I just ate this whole pie!" And you'd say, "No you didn't you freaking liar I see 13 crumbs on that tin plate!"

Why can't anyone appreciate something around here for what it is.

exactly...look how many free throw line dunks where they step on the line, or are at least 1-2 feet inside the line...

this 720 is freaking amazing

LOL tell me about it. you will only get it from the "perfectionists" on ATOT though. it must be perfect or it sucks. it's either black or white.

It doesn't have to be perfect, but it needs to be 720. What part of that equation is escaping you? It was a fine 450* dunk. It was a total failure as a 720* dunk since HE DID NOT ROTATE 720 DEGREES!

Get over it.

Yeah, why let those pesky little facts get in the way?

Call it an awesome dunk all you want, that's fine. But the second you call it an awesome 720 dunk you merely show how clueless you are.

You made me look at it again. Now I can clearly see he landed 720 from where he started.

Now step away from your computer and unplug your modem.

Look at the angle of his feet when he picks up his dribble and look at the angle of his feet when he lands. he clearly spings atleast 720 degrees. anyone who knows anything about basketball will agree this is a 720 degree dunk. (as the one i'm quoting did after he watched it again).

LOLLLLLLL

Man you guys are dumb. For it to be a 720 he needs to rotate 720° BEFORE dunking it. He gets about 220 of that 720 after the dunk and about 60 before getting airborne.

Basketball's a cool game. You should watch it sometime. Don't rush tho, it might get overwhelming if you try and grasp too much at once. ;)

Yeah, I only played it in high school. :roll: Please educate me more on what you learned from NBA Live '06 and Sports Center.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I've looked at it. I don't want to diminish how awesome it is, but...

He took off from the floor with his back to the baseline. He did 1 1/4 turn to the dunk. At this point his back was to the basket. He did only another 1/2 turn after the dunk, he is now facing the top sideline.

Awesome dunk, but it's 720-ness is definitely in question.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by: newParadigm
who the fvck cares, it was effin ammazing regardless of whether it was 700 or 720, so STFU...

didn't even want to read through all the arguing in this thread. you said it perfectly.

Stojakapimp

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
It's impressive, but seeing the way in which he did, I think that a couple NBA players could also pull that off using the same technique

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
He half-turned before jumping, and even then he only completed... 1+1/4 turn

impressive, but I'm sure NBA players can top that.

6shiw1

Mar 8, 2005
He's only 6'2"
Amare stoudemire pre-knee surgery could have topped that. You don't need that much hangtime for this, just the ability to spin fast. Kind of like a backflip.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
Not even close to 360. His back is to the hoop when he takes off. He then angles from the front of the basket to the side, saving himself another quarter turn. He actually does only about 1 1/4 turns in the air, certainly less than 1 1/2 turns. Call it somewhere between 480 and 540, he's not even close to doing a 720.

Jesus you guys are a bunch of retards. I could say, "Hey, I just ate this whole pie!" And you'd say, "No you didn't you freaking liar I see 13 crumbs on that tin plate!"

exactly...look how many free throw line dunks where they step on the line, or are at least 1-2 feet inside the line...

LOL tell me about it. you will only get it from the "perfectionists" on ATOT though. it must be perfect or it sucks. it's either black or white.

It doesn't have to be perfect, but it needs to be 720. What part of that equation is escaping you? It was a fine 450* dunk. It was a total failure as a 720* dunk since HE DID NOT ROTATE 720 DEGREES!

Get over it.

Call it an awesome dunk all you want, that's fine. But the second you call it an awesome 720 dunk you merely show how clueless you are.

You made me look at it again. Now I can clearly see he landed 720 from where he started.

So what if he landed 720 from where he started? When he actually DUNKED the ball, he was barely over 360, and then he spun himself around some more by grabing the rim and spinning himself.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Sureshot324

Get over it.

So what if he landed 720 from where he started? When he actually DUNKED the ball, he was barely over 360, and then he spun himself around some more by grabing the rim and spinning himself.

He didn't grab the rim. It was a full 720

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
i don't think it's physically possible to start a spin for a 720 while facing the basket completely straight.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Wow... this thread really called out the douchebags... and it's not even a TeamX vs TeamY thread.

I see a 720, and a lot of bitter nerds who wish they had a fraction of the game this guy has. You think his opponents sat down after the game and ripped into him for how far through his spin he was when he hit the basket, or where his feet were when he took off? Please, shut the fvck up.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
Wow... this thread really called out the douchebags... and it's not even a TeamX vs TeamY thread.

I see a 720, and a lot of bitter nerds who wish they had a fraction of the game this guy has. You think his opponents sat down after the game and ripped into him for how far through his spin he was when he hit the basket, or where his feet were when he took off? Please, shut the fvck up.

how about no

you post something on a comp forum full of people who are good at math and sh!t what did you expect they were gonna do, and yest technicially he did NOT rotate 720 degress when he put teh ball in teh basket, we are just stateing the truth

and the absoulte fact of the matter is no matter what he did its stiull only 2 fing points, 2 points is 2 points regradless of what stupud ass showboating you do to make it

Jgtdragon

Diamond Member
May 15, 2000
haha this thread is hella funny. I don't really care he did a true 720. I am just impress since I never seen it done before.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Anubis

how about no

you post something on a comp forum full of people who are good at math and sh!t what did you expect they were gonna do, and yest technicially he did NOT rotate 720 degress when he put teh ball in teh basket, we are just stateing the truth

and the absoulte fact of the matter is no matter what he did its stiull only 2 fing points, 2 points is 2 points regradless of what stupud ass showboating you do to make it

The fact of the matter is no one gives a fvck how many points he scored. It's not the fvcking NBA. Have you looked at any of the other videos of the guy? Those AND1 games or whatever look like they're just there FOR showboating. When guys like this even get near the hoop the game slows to a crawl and everyone waits to see what kind of cool sh1t will be pulled out.

WHO THE FVCK CARES if he did a full 720 from take off til he hit the basket? I'm not here to argue that... what I saw qualified it for me. The bottom line is, it was cool to see, but if you took the time after watching the video to scream like a bitch over technicalities, that makes you an internet douchebag, which makes you pretty much lower than any piece of sh1t you might pass on the street in my eyes.

Itchrelief

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2005
Pretty funny that on a basketball forum, everyone there is in awe of the dunk.

On this computer forum, people are arguing degrees and points.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Anubis

how about no

The fact of the matter is no one gives a fvck how many points he scored. It's not the fvcking NBA. Have you looked at any of the other videos of the guy? Those AND1 games or whatever look like they're just there FOR showboating. When guys like this even get near the hoop the game slows to a crawl and everyone waits to see what kind of cool sh1t will be pulled out.

WHO THE FVCK CARES if he did a full 720 from take off til he hit the basket? I'm not here to argue that... what I saw qualified it for me. The bottom line is, it was cool to see, but if you took the time after watching the video to scream like a bitch over technicalities, that makes you an internet douchebag, which makes you pretty much lower than any piece of sh1t you might pass on the street in my eyes.

see thats your opinion, IMO showboating is not cool to see and takes away from the game and is the main reason the NBA sucks more then any other professional sport on the face of the earth

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Originally posted by: CTrain
This guy is named Taurian Fontenette.
He's only 6'2 but the dude has insane hops.
Hes famous for the 360 between the leg dunk.
AMAZING

Wow, his 360 between the legs are arguably more specatcular (and harder to do) than his 720. I can't believe he's only 6'2". But his leaping ability still pales in comparison to Spud Webb who is only 5'7".

Check out Spud Webb in the NBA Dunk Competition. That guy was freaking amazing. :Q

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

Get over it.

Look at the angle of his feet when he picks up his dribble and look at the angle of his feet when he lands. he clearly spings atleast 720 degrees. anyone who knows anything about basketball will agree this is a 720 degree dunk. (as the one i'm quoting did after he watched it again).

LOLLLLLLL

Man you guys are dumb. For it to be a 720 he needs to rotate 720° BEFORE dunking it. He gets about 220 of that 720 after the dunk and about 60 before getting airborne.

Basketball's a cool game. You should watch it sometime. Don't rush tho, it might get overwhelming if you try and grasp too much at once. ;)

Yeah, I only played it in high school. :roll: Please educate me more on what you learned from NBA Live '06 and Sports Center.

Apparently a few splinters have yet to be removed.