720 Dunk in a basketball game ... yes, 2 360's in a row.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
ROFL! You guys are seeing what you want to see and going off on your childish little tantrums. First, look at a better video Here

Then look at the Diagram. The box represents the players orientation, his front is light grey, his back is in black. As you can see from the video his back is to the hoop when he takes off. On the diagonal path he is traveling he completes a full 360 starting with his back to the hoop right in front of it to his back to it again towards the side. He rotates another 90 degrees which on that angle squares him up to the basket. 360+90 = 450. Sorry to disappoint you, but that's about it. The proof is right there on the video.

There is proof in the video but not in your attempted explanation.

Technically he dunked at 540.

He took off facing the far sideline. If it was 320 plus an additional 90, his back would have been to the basket when he threw it in.

He threw it in 180 from his foot placement when he took off (plus the 360 revolution.)

But he landed a full 720, and gets a 720 score with the complete followthru.

/thread.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: jjsole
ROFL! You guys are seeing what you want to see and going off on your childish little tantrums. First, look at a better video Here

Then look at the Diagram. The box represents the players orientation, his front is light grey, his back is in black. As you can see from the video his back is to the hoop when he takes off. On the diagonal path he is traveling he completes a full 360 starting with his back to the hoop right in front of it to his back to it again towards the side. He rotates another 90 degrees which on that angle squares him up to the basket. 360+90 = 450. Sorry to disappoint you, but that's about it. The proof is right there on the video.

He took off facing the far sideline. If it was 320 plus an additional 90, his back would have been to the basket when he threw it in.

He threw it in 180 from his foot placement when he took off (plus the 360 revolution.)

/thread.

QFT

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Tremulant

/thread.

QFT

Preciesly. If he did 720 in air, they would have had to add an extra 180 for how he landed, so they would have called it a 910. So, he did do a 720. :)

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: GeneValgene
Originally posted by: Pastore
Not even close to 360. His back is to the hoop when he takes off. He then angles from the front of the basket to the side, saving himself another quarter turn. He actually does only about 1 1/4 turns in the air, certainly less than 1 1/2 turns. Call it somewhere between 480 and 540, he's not even close to doing a 720.

Jesus you guys are a bunch of retards. I could say, "Hey, I just ate this whole pie!" And you'd say, "No you didn't you freaking liar I see 13 crumbs on that tin plate!"

Why can't anyone appreciate something around here for what it is.

exactly...look how many free throw line dunks where they step on the line, or are at least 1-2 feet inside the line...

this 720 is freaking amazing

LOL tell me about it. you will only get it from the "perfectionists" on ATOT though. it must be perfect or it sucks. it's either black or white.

It doesn't have to be perfect, but it needs to be 720. What part of that equation is escaping you? It was a fine 450* dunk. It was a total failure as a 720* dunk since HE DID NOT ROTATE 720 DEGREES!

Get over it.

Yeah, why let those pesky little facts get in the way?

Call it an awesome dunk all you want, that's fine. But the second you call it an awesome 720 dunk you merely show how clueless you are.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you will never do a 450 dunk in your life.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
OH MY FVCKING GOD!! That's INSANE! They should just let AND 1 players compete in the NBA slam dunk contest, they'll make the NBA ballers look like children.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Not even close to 360. His back is to the hoop when he takes off. He then angles from the front of the basket to the side, saving himself another quarter turn. He actually does only about 1 1/4 turns in the air, certainly less than 1 1/2 turns. Call it somewhere between 480 and 540, he's not even close to doing a 720.

Jesus you guys are a bunch of retards. I could say, "Hey, I just ate this whole pie!" And you'd say, "No you didn't you freaking liar I see 13 crumbs on that tin plate!"

ROFL!! Congrats, you're the biggest retard of all. 13 crumbs would be what, 0.00000000001% of a full pie? But 1 full revolution is only 50% of a full 720. Tell me Skippy, since you seem to love the pie analogy. If you left 40% of a pie on your plate would you then claim to have eaten the entire pie? Get a clue.

Nerd Alert, Nerd Alert!

VanTheMan

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2000
nice dunk, but this doesn't look like all that when you've seen people land triple back tucks + full layout off of a teeterboard.

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
Originally posted by: CPA

ROFL!! Congrats, you're the biggest retard of all. 13 crumbs would be what, 0.00000000001% of a full pie? But 1 full revolution is only 50% of a full 720. Tell me Skippy, since you seem to love the pie analogy. If you left 40% of a pie on your plate would you then claim to have eaten the entire pie? Get a clue.

Nerd Alert, Nerd Alert!

Seriously. Someone get this guy a pocket protector, hard-boiled egg, and glass of prune juice, stat! :laugh:

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
Originally posted by: VanTheMan
nice dunk, but this doesn't look like all that when you've seen people land triple back tucks + full layout off of a teeterboard.

Kindly destroy your Man Card at your earliest convenience. :p

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

/thread.

agreed.

usually i agree with gaghalfrunt, but he is WAY off on this one.

the guy ended up after follow thru with his feet facing the same direction he started in and he CLEARLY rotated more than once, hence it is a 720.

Dec 27, 2001

exactly...look how many free throw line dunks where they step on the line, or are at least 1-2 feet inside the line...

LOL tell me about it. you will only get it from the "perfectionists" on ATOT though. it must be perfect or it sucks. it's either black or white.

It doesn't have to be perfect, but it needs to be 720. What part of that equation is escaping you? It was a fine 450* dunk. It was a total failure as a 720* dunk since HE DID NOT ROTATE 720 DEGREES!

Get over it.

Call it an awesome dunk all you want, that's fine. But the second you call it an awesome 720 dunk you merely show how clueless you are.

You made me look at it again. Now I can clearly see he landed 720 from where he started.

Now step away from your computer and unplug your modem.

Look at the angle of his feet when he picks up his dribble and look at the angle of his feet when he lands. he clearly spings atleast 720 degrees. anyone who knows anything about basketball will agree this is a 720 degree dunk. (as the one i'm quoting did after he watched it again).

LOLLLLLLL

Man you guys are dumb. For it to be a 720 he needs to rotate 720° BEFORE dunking it. He gets about 220 of that 720 after the dunk and about 60 before getting airborne.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

Dude I don't know wtf your talking about. That kids body rotates twice completely before he slams it in. That is a true 720 dunk, if there is such a thing, up until now I don't if there was. Man the hang time to pull that off is insane.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
This guy is named Taurian Fontenette.
He's only 6'2 but the dude has insane hops.
Hes famous for the 360 between the leg dunk.
AMAZING

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

Get over it.

You made me look at it again. Now I can clearly see he landed 720 from where he started.

Now step away from your computer and unplug your modem.

Look at the angle of his feet when he picks up his dribble and look at the angle of his feet when he lands. he clearly spings atleast 720 degrees. anyone who knows anything about basketball will agree this is a 720 degree dunk. (as the one i'm quoting did after he watched it again).

LOLLLLLLL

Man you guys are dumb. For it to be a 720 he needs to rotate 720° BEFORE dunking it. He gets about 220 of that 720 after the dunk and about 60 before getting airborne.

Basketball's a cool game. You should watch it sometime. Don't rush tho, it might get overwhelming if you try and grasp too much at once. ;)

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
720???

The ball gets dunked at the 540 mark. The last 180 is him hanging on the hoop and twisting on the land. So I'm in the camp to say he didn't do a 720. But very, very impressive dunk none the less.

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
So from what I can get from the AND1 site, this is a show kinda like the Harlem Globetrotters?

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: eelw
720???

The ball gets dunked at the 540 mark. The last 180 is him hanging on the hoop and twisting on the land. So I'm in the camp to say he didn't do a 720. But very, very impressive dunk none the less.

He didn't hang on the hoop.