Info 64MB V-Cache on 5XXX Zen3 Average +15% in Games

Page 148 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Well we know now how they will bridge the long wait to Zen4 on AM5 Q4 2022.
Production start for V-cache is end this year so too early for Zen4 so this is certainly coming to AM4.
+15% Lisa said is "like an entire architectural generation"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Gideon

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
My son found one for around $325 or so last week. It replaced his 2700x. He's already spun up a VM to run a very heavily modded minecraft server for all his friends to use while he plays a client on the same system. It doesn't even break a sweat.

Reactions: Mopetar

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I've been hosting a minecraft server on the 5800X3D as well, but using the Forge.jar directly in windows.

Having 64GB of RAM is very useful here as well, since running the server + playing the game with hundreds of server side mods use nearly 40GB of RAM.

I got back into Minecraft recently because of this block physics mod that adds gravity/physics as well as one for liquids. This adds tremendous CPU load to the game since structures and caves can fall apart if you break the wrong block, or a creeper explodes.

But the CPU load is just too high for the settings I wanna use when my friends on a 9700k and 6700k try it on a single player world. On the server this CPU is always over double the framerate they get, and my GPU is the bottleneck. Pressing F3 to compare the frametime chart is very interesting when we stare in same location with matching settings. I get a lot less spikes.

We scaled the physics mod back significantly so the CPU load is a lot lower for older CPU's. Still is an amazing mod.

But yeah, this CPU successfully conquers Minecraft Java.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Anyone here with 58003d and sins of a solar empire rebellion game? That one is heavily CPU-limited, and happens to be my favourite (or one of the favourites for sure) and i wonder whether the additional cache has any bearing on the performance.

Reactions: Joe NYC

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Anyone here with 58003d and sins of a solar empire rebellion game? That one is heavily CPU-limited, and happens to be my favourite (or one of the favourites for sure) and i wonder whether the additional cache has any bearing on the performance.

Yeah I got this CPU for Sins as well funnily enough. I play with 2 friends against AI with custom maps that we make. When I used my old i7-5775C, I would get about 3x lower FPS than my friend's 5600X while we played Sins of the Prophets 0.8 against the flood. I would be getting around 30fps with extreme stutters and my friend got over 100 without the stutters.

5800X3D easily removes most of the stutters, and I don't experience stuttering in heavy combat where my friend's 9700k with ddr4 3200 c16 does. I am not sure if the cache actually does help though. I only went with Ryzen 5000 because I already had a friend test the performance and it was a known quantity. But regardless, if one friend is complaining about non-stop lag, we will end the game. So having this new CPU isn't a fix for coop, haha.

The new Star Wars Interregnum + E4X release is out now. I did recently make a minimod for Goa's E4X that cuts Fleet Supply + Capital Ships in half for all AI and Players which is awesome for lower end CPU's and end-game combat with 10 AI. This works for Vanilla factions and Star Wars Interregnum Factions.

I made this mod so my friends don't have lag spikes anymore!

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
How do the fps look for the 5800X3D compared to the 5600X?

Not sure, since I have yet to play with my 5600X friend since getting this new CPU. The other friend we play with is on a 6 core i7 10th gen laptop and he will disable turbo boost to keep temps low.

Would love to see if there is a difference in 5600X vs 5800X3D in Sins.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for your response, much appreciated. I am trying to decide whether to go with vanilla 7000 chips in few weeks or wait for the v-cache ones. I dont game much anymore, so i would not care otherwise, as i am pretty sure the vanilla chips would be fine for like everything else, but Sins i know is bit special in this regard, stuttering heavily during neavy late-game battles even on my current skylake-x, thus i asked. It would be interesting to experience the game absolutely stutter-free.

BTW, i am happy to find fellow Sinner around here! I usually stick to vanilla game, but i played the Star Trek mod…

Yeah I got this CPU for Sins as well funnily enough. I play with 2 friends against AI with custom maps that we make. When I used my old i7-5775C, I would get about 3x lower FPS than my friend's 5600X while we played Sins of the Prophets 0.8 against the flood. I would be getting around 30fps with extreme stutters and my friend got over 100 without the stutters.

5800X3D easily removes most of the stutters, and I don't experience stuttering in heavy combat where my friend's 9700k with ddr4 3200 c16 does. I am not sure if the cache actually does help though. I only went with Ryzen 5000 because I already had a friend test the performance and it was a known quantity. But regardless, if one friend is complaining about non-stop lag, we will end the game. So having this new CPU isn't a fix for coop, haha.

The new Star Wars Interregnum + E4X release is out now. I did recently make a minimod for Goa's E4X that cuts Fleet Supply + Capital Ships in half for all AI and Players which is awesome for lower end CPU's and end-game combat with 10 AI. This works for Vanilla factions and Star Wars Interregnum Factions.

I made this mod so my friends don't have lag spikes anymore!

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
My 9700k friend is waiting for 7800X3D since that should be a jack-of-all-trades CPU for games. But for removing most stutters now, you can play vanilla sins with that halved fleet supply mod, since star wars interregnum mod does not touch vanilla factions.

There is also another mod that doubles fleet supply which will bring most CPU's to their knees. That will be the mod I would focus on for 5800X3D vs 7800X3D vs 13900k.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
My 9700k friend is waiting for 7800X3D since that should be a jack-of-all-trades CPU for games. But for removing most stutters now, you can play vanilla sins with that halved fleet supply mod, since star wars interregnum mod does not touch vanilla factions.

There is also another mod that doubles fleet supply which will bring most CPU's to their knees. That will be the mod I would focus on for 5800X3D vs 7800X3D vs 13900k.
I have a fascination with hardcore niche games like this, that reviewers never touch. Is it a thread heavy game, or does it like one or two really high IPC and clockspeed cores?

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I have a fascination with hardcore niche games like this, that reviewers never touch. Is it a thread heavy game, or does it like one or two really high IPC and clockspeed cores?

It is an unusual game since it is an old DX9 game engine that has been getting continual updates from the devs. It performs a lot better now that it has at launch, but it is still primarily single threaded bound. It now natively supports 3.5GB of RAM where before it could only do 2GB unless you used Large Address Awareness.

But with the replay system, it can become a fully repeatable benchmark. Another similar game is Supreme Commander Forged Alliance which is still a popular game with 3rd party mods.

I assume these games will scale the best with clockspeed and fast, low latency ram. Would love to see how 5800X3D actually performs against a 12900k in these games.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I assume these games will scale the best with clockspeed and fast, low latency ram. Would love to see how 5800X3D actually performs against a 12900k in these games.
Sounds like a title where the 12900K should have the right stuff to shine v. 3D. I have been wanting to see how the 12900K does in OG Crysis. Digital Foundry did a look back in 2018. An 8700K couldn't hold 60fps which I thought was crazy sauce at the time. I am thinking a 12900K will crush it though.

Crysis 10 Years On: Why It's Still Melting The Most Powerful Gaming PCs

EDIT: I'd like to see it on the 3D too.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Hmm, its been at least a year since I've played Sins with STA3 mods or SW Interregnum. I didn't know they had patched in LAA, makes things less of a hassle. STA3 a couple of years ago was playable but it got pretty rough in the late game vs even 3-4 AI on the FX-8350. I've never run the game on the 4790k or Ryzen 3rd/4th gen.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010

The devs said themselves i think in steam discussion, that only thing to alleviate the late game stutter is i quote “faster serial processor”. From my experience i can report that skylake-x core i9 was not fast enough to do that.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Going back down to 100.0 BCLK, I am so impressed with how well this chip performs at a peak of 1.079v at 4450 all core. I should focus on dropping VSOC voltage which is still at 1.0875v.

I did try to keep the 101.9 BCLK at 1.08v and clock stretching was a major problem. I got my first ever crash on this pc during some light benchmarks as well.

On another note, some users do have trouble with achieving 4550 boost in single core. I am seeing 4550 spikes every few seconds with 100ms polling. As soon as I launch Discord, the boost behavior essentially vanishes.
Using Process Lasso to give Discord 2 threads, boost behavior returns in full force. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a lot of software makes 45.5x boost a rare occurrence.

Also take a look at your Windows Services. I had a lot of junk services running (mostly for games) that hurt benchmark scores by around 2-4%!

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021

Similar request - if anyone is playing Europe Universalis 4 with M+T mod.

The end of year processing is single core limited and really takes a while, even on 5800x. And in my opinion, the game should benefit significantly from large L3 of 5800x3d...

If anyone tried...

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Risk of Rain 2 was on sale so we all bought it for eachother in my gaming group. Hosting the game puts more load on the host machine, so I am always the host. Using some modifiers, we can spawn an insane amount of AI!

Despite being a client, a 9700k is getting less than half the framerate and a 5800x is getting around 30-40%% lower framerate. Gonna be able to play with a 7950x friend to test soon I hope.

The performance gap is so large that I need my friends to upgrade if we wanna play with max AI count.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Just upgraded my 3700X to a 5800X3D (same machine otherwise), super happy so far. Picked it up brand new for $369. Figured I should get one before they are all sold out.

Gave a -30mV undervolt, which dropped both idle and full load temps way down.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Gave a -30mV undervolt, which dropped both idle and full load temps way down.

Good upgrade. That'll last you for awhile. Plus yeah it's smarter to undervolt those things than to try to overclock them, methinks. There was a lot of stress about their lower clockspeeds, but the reality is that you'll hardly feel it vs. the rest of the Vermeer lineup.