50 Years of Failed Climate Change Predictions

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I drive an old ass car and live in multi family housing. There's little else I could do to be greener while still meaningfully participating in society. A society which, again, was purposefully engineered by oil and car companies. Yes, @glenn1, your lifestyle was changed for you without your knowledge or awareness, to say nothing of your permission.

This argument that no one can ask you to be responsible unless they're Amish is complete bullshit. Why do you hate personal responsibility so much? Or maybe, personal responsibility, like other right wing platitudes, is just a lie.

That's a lot of words to admit that, no, you still can't read a topo map.

So climate change is the biggest threat we face and you live like an average American.

Oil companies, like many things, infulenced the direction we've gone in certain ways. But, I think you're stretching and then some.

I honestly want to buy some Trump straws. I think I'd keep them unopened, some years from now, after we've had time to reflect on the presidency of Trump properly, I imagine these would be a cool collectible. When whiny liberals threw a hissy fit over straws, the man started selling his campaign straws in response. That's fruggin fantastic.

And storm surge, coastal flooding, brunt of these hurricanes on steroids... not a concern for some people.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
you're literally a comic character

e47.png

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I've often wondered about if intelligence + information is a constant. We have more information readily available than ever before, but I swear that many people have gotten less intelligent, as in the ability to reason competently. The simplest logical problem appears harder for many to solve than from what I remember. If this is true then we're in very deep shit.

I strongly suspect industrial pollution has accumulated to such a degree that... well, see for yourself.
  1. Placentas Are Caked in Soot from Car Exhaust.
  2. Air pollution causes ‘huge’ reduction in intelligence.
Imagine how healthy or intelligent an animal can be, after being soaked in poison its entire life.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Has the OP shown any comprehension of scientific principle and a grasp of what modeling is or that he depends on the last every day of his life?

No, didn't think so.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I strongly suspect industrial pollution has accumulated to such a degree that... well, see for yourself.
  1. Placentas Are Caked in Soot from Car Exhaust.
  2. Air pollution causes ‘huge’ reduction in intelligence.
Imagine how healthy or intelligent an animal can be, after being soaked in poison its entire life.

The human animal is no smarter than it was when we lived in caves and were hunter-gatherers. In ancient Greece thousands of years it was possible know all that could be known at the time. We hit the scientific era and that was gone. We had experts in all of physics, but that soon divided so one could only know one field. Now one can't even know a tiny sliver of that because every hour someone comes up with something different.

It is now fundamentally impossible to reconcile effectively the knowledge we as a species have gathered at any level. This is a grave and largely ignored problem of utmost concern, or should be. Add political and self interests and we are damned and rightly so.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I drive an old ass car and live in multi family housing. I even pick garbage up out of the gutter while walking the dog. There's little else I could do to be greener while still meaningfully participating in society. A society which, again, was purposefully engineered by oil and car companies for their private profit and our public ruin. Yes, @glenn1, your lifestyle was changed for you without your knowledge or awareness, to say nothing of your permission.

So basically you want to pocket all the conveniences and lifestyle advances that fossil fuels and automobiles have brought to the world, yet complain about how "it was purposely engineered by oil and car companies"? Well hell yeah give me some more of that engineering that allows me to travel more than 20 miles in a day, have artificial lighting at night, and everything else that 21st century life affords that 17th century life did not. Would you rather live in a world without such engineering and all energy we generated was from horses or water wheels on a river? Complaining about oil company "engineering" is akin to complaining about modern medicine "engineering" our society with vaccines and antibiotics.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
So basically you want to pocket all the conveniences and lifestyle advances that fossil fuels and automobiles have brought to the world, yet complain about how "it was purposely engineered by oil and car companies"? Well hell yeah give me some more of that engineering that allows me to travel more than 20 miles in a day, have artificial lighting at night, and everything else that 21st century life affords that 17th century life did not. Would you rather live in a world without such engineering and all energy we generated was from horses or water wheels on a river? Complaining about oil company "engineering" is akin to complaining about modern medicine "engineering" our society with vaccines and antibiotics.

Provide him with an alternative as they exist unless you insist that hundred plus-year-old fuels are the ultimate? With that mentality we would be speaking German and saluting a Nazi flag. You think the free market had the dubious claim of making the deterrent you would have begged for then and for more than fifty years after?

A Manhattan style program is needed and then some. GM can make the vehicles they are told they may, people can cry about there being no gasoline for cars when the time comes and the Feds can buy back those cars and give vehicles away repeatedly if need be. Trillions for life, not one cent for madness.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Ask those that made the failed predictions. Plenty of examples in the OP.

Which merely reinforces your utter ignorance, willful or not, in how science works. How about we go back a thousand years and prove science as a whole as "failed" because at one time Spirits or Humours along with four elements were the state of the art?

You clearly don't understand or wish to admit to getting how science works along with the specific discipline of modeling. You also love to cite Al Gore as being "science" or equivalent thereto.

So you can explain the science of modeling in non-political or "newsy" language, but a fair approach to the techniques and changes along with methodologies common to various areas of study. No "liburels", no Left, but the basis for things your very life does in fact depend on. Can you even say why that last fact is so?

Let's see what happens and if you can be drawn out into an objective realm. I'm not holding my breath BTW.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Which merely reinforces your utter ignorance, willful or not, in how science works. How about we go back a thousand years and prove science as a whole as "failed" because at one time Spirits or Humours along with four elements were the state of the art?

You clearly don't understand or wish to admit to getting how science works along with the specific discipline of modeling. You also love to cite Al Gore as being "science" or equivalent thereto.

So you can explain the science of modeling in non-political or "newsy" language, but a fair approach to the techniques and changes along with methodologies common to various areas of study. No "liburels", no Left, but the basis for things your very life does in fact depend on. Can you even say why that last fact is so?

Let's see what happens and if you can be drawn out into an objective realm. I'm not holding my breath BTW.

Science isn't the issue here. It is the predictions of those that can't accurately predicting the weather 10 days from now telling us what things will be like in 100 years if the earth's temp rises 1C. Somewhere along the line science stops and FUD starts.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Science isn't the issue here. It is the predictions of those that can't accurately predicting the weather 10 days from now telling us what things will be like in 100 years if the earth's temp rises 1C. Somewhere along the line science stops and FUD starts.

It's amazing how frequently you inadvertently reveal your own stupidity and ignorance.

If someone is a career .250 hitter stats are very poor at predicting if they will go 4-4 or 0-4 in tonight's baseball game (weather). They are quite good at predicting what his batting average will be this year though. (climate)

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

Apparently, no obviously, you don't know what is what. You think weather is the same as climate and that things are done in the same way. You demonstrate you literally have no idea of what things are involved, not even the basic terminology, not expectations by the scientific community or any scientifically fluent person.

Disagree? Answer my prior questions and science is very much the issue. If you don't want to address it, or you are ignorant the best thing a famous philosopher said is to remain silent, but what is best won't apply.

This is utterly beyond your comprehension and you reinforce that statement with every reply.

But you are indeed correct. "This", specifically you and yours are the issue in this exchange, not science because the latter is your enemy.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
It's amazing how frequently you inadvertently reveal your own stupidity and ignorance.

If someone is a career .250 hitter stats are very poor at predicting if they will go 4-4 or 0-4 in tonight's baseball game (weather). They are quite good at predicting what his batting average will be this year though. (climate)

Are you having fun? I sort of am because I'm a fallible human as we all are to some degree, yet I find watching the legs being metaphorically pulled off a noxious insect uncomfortable at some point, but then again it's hard to turn away from an ongoing train wreck.

I'll probably let him hang himself some more as if I could ever stop him anyway.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Are you aware that there are other methods by which you can go 20 miles in a short period of time? Many of them don't even require people to go into large amounts of debt in order to take advantage of the infrastructure the government built.

just because you're completely unimaginative doesn't mean the rest of us have to be.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
But, you're using energy so everyone can know your opinion. On the whole, you use resources as you need for comfort and convenience in your life. You're like the rest of them, you like to complain, but what are you doing beside bitching on the internet (using energy)? Climate change seems like a popular thing to whine about but not a popular to make any sacrifices over.
Switching diet to a less meaty one.
Replace beef with chicken.
Drive a super eco friendly car until the right electric pops up (model3).
Installing solar panels.
Vote green.

I cant fathom you do anything but sit on your ass.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Switching diet to a less meaty one.
Replace beef with chicken.
Drive a super eco friendly car until the right electric pops up (model3).
Installing solar panels.
Vote green.

I cant fathom you do anything but sit on your ass.

Add seaweed to cow feed and methane production goes down about 60%

The cumulative effect of doing such things will make a drastic reduction. Research into sequestering CO2 efficiently on a never before done scale is likely to be required.

Again, the government go into a war economy and fix this.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Add seaweed to cow feed and methane production goes down about 60%

The cumulative effect of doing such things will make a drastic reduction. Research into sequestering CO2 efficiently on a never before done scale is likely to be required.

Again, the government go into a war economy and fix this.

Airborne transportation is a killer too. Now about those battery revolutions and electric planes...