4070 reviews thread

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The top two most selling cards at three largest czech retailers - 4 of them are 4070. Just saying...

If you are willing to pay certain amount of money for a new card and do not want old stuff, 4070 is now simply the only rational option.

AMD should at least announce, what are they going to do with it.

Passing is also a rational option.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Sure, if you already have something that works for you.

I think there are a lot more people refusing to buy at these prices and thus skipping a PC upgrade completely than there are buying a 4070 because it is the most sensible purchase of currently available products. That position for the 4070 is a pyrrhic victory.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
That position for the 4070 is a pyrrhic victory.
I must say that I did not buy the 4070 with any warm feelings, 4070 Ti with 12 GB of RAM was simply a huge ripoff, 4070 for 30% less money somewhat corrected that for me. I joined this thread complaining that AMD offers nothing new to buy in this segment.

I have had the card for 9 days already and I am pretty happy with it, upscaling and frame generation work nicely, I do not care if somebody makes fun of the "fake frames". I bet at AMD they are working hard on their own fake frames. Perhaps this may be the reason for the delay???

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Rumor with zero evidence.

Plus, if NVidia gives rebates to board partners, you would expect strings are attached.

The less evidence the better for NVidia. The only string I'd attach is that under no circumstances can the rebate be discussed.

If there's one company offering a $50 discount they're either eating their own margin (possibly to the point of selling at a loss) or trying to offload some dodgy kit as quickly as possible.

I do not care if somebody makes fun of the "fake frames". I bet at AMD they are working hard on their own fake frames. Perhaps this may be the reason for the delay???

Doubtful. They shipped N31 without such features. If that were the case they'd ship N32 and talk about how said functionality was still be developed after giving a sneak peak at it. There's no risk of Osborne effect if you don't have something on the market already.

I'm sure they are wasting developer time on this. Maybe they would have anyways because this is something that the console peasants would eat up.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
The less evidence the better for NVidia.

The better for conspiracy theorists, and click bait purveyors to make up nonsense stories.

The only string I'd attach is that under no circumstances can the rebate be discussed.

Then it's useless. If you want to achieve something with a payment, then you attach strings to that payment, that achieves those goals.

You don't just dish out some money and hope something beneficial happens. Or do you think NVidia has become a charity giving away money for nothing?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
If the rumors and reporting about NVidia's AIB partners being squeezed is true

Yah, I was going to mention that. This rebate is more likely to encourage AIBs to keep cards at MSRP because of the squeeze. Call it a price cut if you want, but it might be from $649 back down to MSRP.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Amazon rankings change every day. Today the RX6600 is in the 4 spot, and 3 AMD cards in the top 10. There is only one 4070 in the top 10. Though there are 4 more models in the top 20. Overall volume of sales is undoubtedly low, so the 3060 12GB is still dominating among cards that are selling the best.

I guess it makes sense to go 3060 if you are a casual. You get NVENC and DLSS for well under $400 with enough VRAM to not lose out on high res textures and such at playable resolutions. In most games you can even use RT, at worst needing to turn on DLSS.

EDIT: I checked Newegg and the 4070 is nowhere to be found. While various 4070ti models are selling. Crazy that people are still paying over $400 for 8GB Nvidia cards; madness. There's a 3060ti, 3070, and 3070ti in the top 12, I can't even wrap my brain around that. The 3070ti costs more than the 4070.

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Tlh97

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Yah, I was going to mention that. This rebate is more likely to encourage AIBs to keep cards at MSRP because of the squeeze. Call it a price cut if you want, but it might be from $649 back down to MSRP.
Intel style contra revenue maybe?

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

If cards are selling slowly why would AIBs raise MSRP?

It seems weird to me that people hear and unsubstantiated rumor, and then start constructing stories and rationalizations to support it.

No wonder it's so easy for conspiracy theories to take off.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
If cards are selling slowly why would AIBs raise MSRP?

EVGA basically said that was one of the reasons they got out. That what nVidia charges for the chip+memory is too high to make MSRP work for AIBs. For MSRP, the AIB basically needs to be getting some sort of rebate. It sounded like it's typically temporary so nVidia can claim the product was available at MSRP but there's nothing stopping them from extending it if sales underperform.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Ummmm. So why is everyone so invested in sales figures? High or low sales mean nothing about the product. Unles you are big about pumping or dumping shares, and thats not what this forum is about.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Ummmm. So why is everyone so invested in sales figures? High or low sales mean nothing about the product. Unles you are big about pumping or dumping shares, and thats not what this forum is about.

Throw cold water on the people who think the 4070 is going to be $549 soon.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Throw cold water on the people who think the 4070 is going to be $549 soon.
Its going to cost what its going to cost. If you need to buy something now then the cost now matters, if you are buying in the future then youll have to wait. Arguing about what the price will be is an exercise in futility.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Its going to cost what its going to cost. If you need to buy something now then the cost now matters, if you are buying in the future then youll have to wait. Arguing about what the price will be is an exercise in futility.
No, it's not, because you can estimate future prices.

Not everyone lives in the moment.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
EVGA basically said that was one of the reasons they got out. That what nVidia charges for the chip+memory is too high to make MSRP work for AIBs. For MSRP, the AIB basically needs to be getting some sort of rebate. It sounded like it's typically temporary so nVidia can claim the product was available at MSRP but there's nothing stopping them from extending it if sales underperform.

Show me where EVGA said anything about rebates. It's was well known that margins are thin long before EVGA left, and no one was surprised about EVGA complaints, but there was nothing about rebates, so you can't use that as evidence for these rebate "theories".

Again, no sign this 4070 launch is any different, than the 4080 launch, or 4070 Ti launch, and no sign of any rebates from NVidia for any of them.

These cards were all met with price complaints on the forums, and none of them have ever sold out. Yet they just keep trundling along at MSRP.

My bet is NVidia will wait and see what AMD offers before they make any adjustment. So far NVidia has ignored the better perf/$ of the 7900 series on top of the slow sales.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
No, it's not, because you can estimate future prices.

Not everyone lives in the moment.
And how does that help? If you need a video card now you buy the best one now. If you need one in a fortnight then you look at the prices then. Arguing about then now isnt going to change the prices or the worth of a card in the future!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
And how does that help? If you need a video card now you buy the best one now. If you need one in a fortnight then you look at the prices then. Arguing about then now isnt going to change the prices or the worth of a card in the future!
You are being too clinical. This is the 4070 review thread, it makes everything about the product subject to scrutiny. Including the price, how it is selling, and where it puts it in the market.

This can help shoppers that read this thread to make a more informed purchasing decision. Instead of letting groupthink push them to buy the 4070 because of a carefully crafted marketing strategy. Reading that most are not choosing it, and why, may cause them to take pause before pulling the trigger. After all that happens, the 4070 will still be the best pick for some, but for others, it will feel like they dodged a bullet.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
I don't need a video card now or in a fortnight. I am looking for a decent deal and an upgrade is optional. And in fact, a pretty large portion of GPU buyers have a perfectly functional card, but are looking for a decent upgrade.

And because I realized that the mining prizes were not sustainable and were going to end, I didn't buy an incredibly expensive card at the wrong time, while others did so relatively shortly before the prices crashed a lot (but not as much as I hoped/expected). So it already paid off.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't need a video card now or in a fortnight. I am looking for a decent deal and an upgrade is optional. And in fact, a pretty large portion of GPU buyers have a perfectly functional card, but are looking for a decent upgrade.

And because I realized that the mining prizes were not sustainable and were going to end, I didn't buy an incredibly expensive card at the wrong time, while others did so relatively shortly before the prices crashed a lot (but not as much as I hoped/expected). So it already paid off.
But the point is that you make that decision to buy in the moment, you don't say "I shall buy this in three weeks". In three weeks you say "is this the best card for me now".

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
But the point is that you make that decision to buy in the moment, you don't say "I shall buy this in three weeks". In three weeks you say "is this the best card for me now".
No one's forcing you to read the discussion. There are plenty of other threads you can read.