$35,000 Tesla Model III Is Coming In 2017

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You can't take the charger out of the car unless you have the car key.

correct.
The plug locks into the car until you unlock the car, or use the AP on the phone to unlock it.

I took my car to a supercharger last night, and at 11pm it was packed with a lot of m3's...
Seems like a lot of m3 owners are charging at the SC instead of at home. :p
Also incase your wondering about supercharging...

20180911_221721.jpg

340 miles / hr charge seems to be where my car caps out out on @ 108kw
However the number drops as you get closer to fill.
You dont charge a tesla 100% for daily, most do it at around there.
And as it gets closer to full, it trickles it, hence why it takes 1 hour regardless of what level you at unless your just topping the charge off.

The main reason why i got my Tesla and didnt wait for the Porsche E-mission or the Karma Fisker, is because of the super charging network.

Those superchargers are seriously super chargers.

I haven't seen a M3 Performance edition yet tho.
California gets the last delivery window when you order the car because it only takes a few days to get to delivery center after its been validated.

So i guess it will take a while before we see one.

Last edited:
Reactions: ponyo

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I ended up picking up my Model 3 this past Saturday. As a bit of an update, I felt a little bad about splurging too much, and I did downgrade to the RWD model, but I have pretty much all extras except the 19" wheels. (I just don't want Continental tires.) I did consider switching back to Performance and dropping all tech extras, but I ended up not doing that. (Partly because they locked me in really quickly after changing to RWD!) My only complaint about the Aero wheels is that they're more of a dark gray where some photos made them look like more of a black. It's not a big deal at all, but just a minor quibble.

As for the car, the only thing that I don't like is the turn signal. My goodness, I thought I hated Ford's turn signal, but the Tesla one is just significantly worse. To be clear, my personal preference for turn signals is what I had in my Nissan, which was the "stuck" kind. In other words, if you want to turn right, you push the stalk up and it stays up until either you push it back to its original position or it determines that you've completed a turn and the car puts it back. The Model 3 turn signal is very similar to the Ford in that it has two states in each direction where both are momentary switches. A slight press in either direction will turn on a temporary signal (three flashes), and a longer press will provide a slight click followed by a continuous signal.

There are two issues that I've run into regarding this...

1. There's so little difference in force required between the temporary and continuous signal positions that it's actually kind of hard to use the temporary signal. You have to give it a very slight push in either direction, which is best done with a single finger. I really wouldn't care much about this if it wasn't for...

2. The continuous turn signal either doesn't turn off or takes far, far too long to turn off. To give you an idea, when using the turn signal in a parking lot, which as an aside, gets me an odd amount of derision from coworkers, it took the entire distance of a single aisle (about 60 meters) for the signal to turn off. When turning down a road near my house, it takes getting past a house (yet again, about 60 meters) for it to finally turn off.

If it just took a little bit longer than I'd expect for it to turn off, I wouldn't really care too much, but typically, the signal just doesn't ever turn off. Oddly enough, the manual states that the signal will turn off if the lever is moved in the opposite direction (page 46-47), but that doesn't work. The turn signal appears to require you to always press it up to turn it off regardless of which way the signal is indicating.

(To note, I got the distances from: https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-advanced-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm )

I don't really have any other issues with the car. I did have the audio system screw up on me on the drive back, and oddly enough, a friend had the audio system screw up in his X on the same day. I had to give it the Two Thumb Salute to reset it. That's probably the biggest issue with having everything on one screen -- if something messes up, you lose all information and ability to change settings. Although, the car does maintain whatever setting you're currently on, which includes cruise control.

I'm still working on getting my HPWC hooked up. It has been a bit of a pain due to my service panel not being in my garage as it's in the foyer, which is right off the garage. I've had to scrape the popcorn ceiling so I can cut into it and run the 6-gauge NM-B, which will give me 40A (50A breaker, 40A continuous). Although, after scraping about 10-12 feet in the one room, I really dread scraping 18 feet in my garage. I'm tempted to just run external conduit in the garage, but if I do that, then I can't use NM-B (you're limited to 10 feet of NM-B in a conduit). So, I'd have to swap from NM-B to THHN when going into the garage, and run THHN in the conduit.

In that case, I'd prefer full 4-gauge THHN, but I can't run conduit starting at the panel due to its location... unless I run it across the ceiling with some sort of concealment. In other words, it's just a ton easier to run NM-B. The only other option is to ignore the internal run completely and run the cable outside along the wall. (My guess is that this is what an actual electrician would do since it requires no clean-up/remodeling.) It's not impossible, but there would be considerably more wire, and it would have to pass under an awning (not hard, but it would dislodge some support blocks), it would require mounting support brackets every 3 feet into brick. With every scrape, I kept considering whether it would be better to just do it that way. :p

Right now, I've been using the standard 110V charging, which gives me enough power given my shorter commute, but it's definitely not great. Although, my issue is really that a good chunk of my house is wired with 14-gauge NM-B on 15A breakers. (That's up to spec, but no one wires a house that way anymore. Standard outlets should be on a 20A breaker with 12-gauge wiring regardless of 15A or 20A outlets.) Also, my garage is all on a single 15A breaker that is shared with the connected foyer! I was mowing the lawn this past weekend (with an electric lawnmower), and I was surprised when I came back in to a dark garage. I had been charging two lawnmower batteries earlier along with the car, and when I saw that the light was off and the garage door opener had a red LED lit, I knew the breaker had tripped. I turned the car down from 12A to 10A, and it was fine after that.

Reactions: Kaido and ponyo

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
^
This ain't a small feat. 3rd car, which is the smallest of bunch, gets 5* rating. Again.

Can't see any crash tests from iPeace or any other new EV offerings often marketed as "Tesla K!llers" LOL.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
correct.
The plug locks into the car until you unlock the car, or use the AP on the phone to unlock it.

I took my car to a supercharger last night, and at 11pm it was packed with a lot of m3's...
Seems like a lot of m3 owners are charging at the SC instead of at home. :p
Also incase your wondering about supercharging...

340 miles / hr charge seems to be where my car caps out out on @ 108kw
However the number drops as you get closer to fill.
You dont charge a tesla 100% for daily, most do it at around there.
And as it gets closer to full, it trickles it, hence why it takes 1 hour regardless of what level you at unless your just topping the charge off.

The main reason why i got my Tesla and didnt wait for the Porsche E-mission or the Karma Fisker, is because of the super charging network.

Those superchargers are seriously super chargers.

I haven't seen a M3 Performance edition yet tho.
California gets the last delivery window when you order the car because it only takes a few days to get to delivery center after its been validated.

So i guess it will take a while before we see one.
How much do they charge for a charge?

Also, saw a car carrier full of M3s heading east on I-10 today so somebodies are getting their cars this week.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
How much do they charge for a charge?

Anywhere from $.15-$.24 per kwh.

I got super charging for life on my Tesla, so i dont pay anything unless i am idling which then its .40 cents per min.
Idling meaning you are taking up a spot and not charging.

I can tell you its roughly, .367kwh / mile on a Model S.
I would assume the M3 has about a .250 kwh / mile.

The Model 3 long range has a 75kwh battery.
So lets assume you need to fill up about 50kwh @ .20cents / kwh average that would be 10 dollars to fill with a approx range of 200 miles give or take....

Honestly which to me is not bad considering @ 20mpg @ 3.50 cents / gal average, that will cost you 35 dollars at the gas station.

But thats not all that a ev saves you on.
Without a engine, you really dont need to do oil changes every 5k miles.
You have no transmission or clutch that gets worn out.
You have regenerative breaking, so brakes last on average anywhere from 50k-75k miles.
Infact its common for a tesla to only have had its brake changed once before it hits 100k miles.

You also got an unlimited mile / 8yr battery and drive train warranty on a tesla, which is probably the last thing to break on the car.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Honestly which to me is not bad considering @ 20mpg @ 3.50 cents / gal average, that will cost you 35 dollars at the gas station.

My Ecoboost (4-cylinder) Mustang costs me nearly $50 to fill up with Premium gas (turbo engine) in my area :(

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Anywhere from $.15-$.24 per kwh.

In Texas and Alabama, you get charged by the minute for supercharging, and there are tier rates. It's cheaper when you charge at 60kW or below or also if you're sharing the supercharger with someone (not the physical charger, but using two superchargers that share the same electrical line). So, it's definitely better if you try to maximize your charging to stay below the 80% mark as you'll be charging faster to begin with (batteries charge slower as they near maximum voltage) and you pay less.

I got super charging for life on my Tesla, so i dont pay anything unless i am idling which then its .40 cents per min.

I thought about going with the Performance for that, but given that the supercharger isn't that close to me anyway, it didn't seem all that useful. Although, after using some of the features, I think I just wish they sold TACC by itself as I don't really use any of the other Enhanced Autopilot features. I also wish they gave you the option of using normal cruise control even if you have EAP, because sometimes... TACC is just too darn sensitive to cars in front of you, and that's even on the lowest distance setting. On the other hand, I find that TACC isn't sensitive enough at below 50 MPH. On the highway, I'm almost always at 1 car length as anything higher will slow you down way too far back, but at about 45 MPH, I find that 1 and 2 put me a bit closer to the car in front of me than I'd like.

I would assume the M3 has about a .250 kwh / mile.

I get about 250-270 Wh/mi. Based on my factors and that electricity is only ~$0.10 per kWh here, it costs me about 1-4 to 1/6 of the cost to get somewhere in the Model 3 compared to my old Taurus SHO.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
1. Pics or ban :D

https://imgur.com/a/QTqZ277

2. How are you liking it so far? Overall, I mean - driving etc.

Overall, I think it's a good car. I do have that turn signal issue that hasn't subsided with a firmware update, so I think it's a problem with the car itself. It's not a huge deal, but it is a bit annoying. The car has a pretty good feel on turns, which is probably due to its low center of gravity. My Taurus always felt a bit "hoppy" on turns... like it didn't want to stay planted, but I don't really have that issue in the 3. The one thing that took me the most time to get used to was the regenerative braking. I've always been a bit of a hypermiler as I tended to coast quite a bit, but you really can't do that at all in a Tesla. Once you let your foot off the gas, it's about the same as having pushed the brake down halfway. The only thing that may seem weird about this is that while regenerative braking can slow the car down considerably, it will not stop the car. So, if you try to truly do one-foot driving, you're going to end up bumping a lot of cars in front of you.

I think one of the hardest things about buying one is knowing the actual worth to you of the tech features. Apart from Traffic-Assisted Cruise Control, I find the rest of the features to have limitations that may make them not nearly as useful in real world use. I just tried out Auto Park for the first time earlier. I pulled up at an angle to back into a spot, put it in reverse and saw the option. I figured... eh, why not try it out, but what I thought was disappointing is that while I could have easily made the maneuver without a single forward readjustment, the car had to readjust TWICE. Now, I might find Auto Park far more useful in parallel parking, but I barely ever have to do that. I find Auto Steer to be a bit more finicky than I'd like and it doesn't really stay as well grounded in its place in the lane. To be fair, it has only ever had me slightly worried about its path once and that was when going around a corner where it moved in to the right, and the car in the right lane was close to the line.

Although, I find that TACC's biggest use is in stop-and-go traffic, but outside of that, it's a bit awkward to use at times. I've noticed that it seems too sensitive at higher speeds and too insensitive at lower speeds. For example, you'd probably be quite surprised at how soon the car will start slowing down when approaching another car... and that's with the car at the shortest follow setting. What makes this awkward for me is that I don't want to start passing at that point as I think I'm too far from the vehicle to need to move over. Of course, that's the difference between how a human drives and a machine drives that's using a "simple" radar setup. I'm considering factors like the vehicles in the other lanes, how their speed relates to mine, the time I have until I reach the vehicle in front of me, etc.

There is a part of me that is wondering if I would've been better off with the Performance Model 3 and no tech packages. (In other words, my original configuration before people kept guilting me into changing it.) I know that sounds crazy to get a Tesla without the technology, but with the concessions that some of them require, I wonder if I would've been better off with normal cruise control.

I should be able to get my HPWC hooked up this weekend, so that will help a bit in the usability as I won't need to plug it in every night.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Kaido

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I use EAP All the time in traffic.

I cheat it tho, by putting a fishing weight on the side of my steering wheel so i dont get nag screen.
However i never use it at the last lane, because it seems that lane always has the most problems.
I also make sure i keep my eyes on the road constantly from time to time, as i am not going to rear end a fire truck (knock on wood).

Seems like Teslas has something on rear ending a fire truck...

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Overall, I think it's a good car. I do have that turn signal issue that hasn't subsided with a firmware update, so I think it's a problem with the car itself. It's not a huge deal, but it is a bit annoying. The car has a pretty good feel on turns, which is probably due to its low center of gravity. My Taurus always felt a bit "hoppy" on turns... like it didn't want to stay planted, but I don't really have that issue in the 3. The one thing that took me the most time to get used to was the regenerative braking. I've always been a bit of a hypermiler as I tended to coast quite a bit, but you really can't do that at all in a Tesla. Once you let your foot off the gas, it's about the same as having pushed the brake down halfway. The only thing that may seem weird about this is that while regenerative braking can slow the car down considerably, it will not stop the car. So, if you try to truly do one-foot driving, you're going to end up bumping a lot of cars in front of you.

I think one of the hardest things about buying one is knowing the actual worth to you of the tech features. Apart from Traffic-Assisted Cruise Control, I find the rest of the features to have limitations that may make them not nearly as useful in real world use. I just tried out Auto Park for the first time earlier. I pulled up at an angle to back into a spot, put it in reverse and saw the option. I figured... eh, why not try it out, but what I thought was disappointing is that while I could have easily made the maneuver without a single forward readjustment, the car had to readjust TWICE. Now, I might find Auto Park far more useful in parallel parking, but I barely ever have to do that. I find Auto Steer to be a bit more finicky than I'd like and it doesn't really stay as well grounded in its place in the lane. To be fair, it has only ever had me slightly worried about its path once and that was when going around a corner where it moved in to the right, and the car in the right lane was close to the line.

Although, I find that TACC's biggest use is in stop-and-go traffic, but outside of that, it's a bit awkward to use at times. I've noticed that it seems too sensitive at higher speeds and too insensitive at lower speeds. For example, you'd probably be quite surprised at how soon the car will start slowing down when approaching another car... and that's with the car at the shortest follow setting. What makes this awkward for me is that I don't want to start passing at that point as I think I'm too far from the vehicle to need to move over. Of course, that's the difference between how a human drives and a machine drives that's using a "simple" radar setup. I'm considering factors like the vehicles in the other lanes, how their speed relates to mine, the time I have until I reach the vehicle in front of me, etc.

There is a part of me that is wondering if I would've been better off with the Performance Model 3 and no tech packages. (In other words, my original configuration before people kept guilting me into changing it.) I know that sounds crazy to get a Tesla without the technology, but with the concessions that some of them require, I wonder if I would've been better off with normal cruise control.

I should be able to get my HPWC hooked up this weekend, so that will help a bit in the usability as I won't need to plug it in every night.

All valid points. I didn't get the hang of the turn signals in my NYC test-drive at all, haha.

Regen is something you'll get used to over time, but it does take some new mental wiring before it becomes habit. I've driven enough of my buddy's EV's where I'm used to it now (and grew to like it!). I do like it on high, because then you just let your foot rest at the right speed for the angle of the pedal, and pull back for light braking, then switch over to the brake pedal for a full stop (personal preference). Does the 3 have different settings for regen? iirc the S has like high, low, off, plus features like creep or no creep (to mimic an automatic vs. manual transmission).

tbh the beta-ness is a big reason I haven't jumped. More & more EV"s are coming out, but none of Tesla's capabilities for self-driving, but if you take a hard look at how it really, truly operates right now, today, then yeah, it's basically a gloried TACC with lane-centering active LKAS. Automatic parallel parking is actually amazing, but I don't live in the city or do it that much, so meh. Also, I almost went with the Honda Ridgeline with Honda Sense (their version of TACC etc.), but their truck has issues with the space left between the vehicle ahead & with jerkiness, so it's not really a great system & Honda will probably never, ever update it (at least Tesla pushes out OTA updates to refine & improve things!). I wonder if there's a way to access traditional cruise instead of TACC on the 3...iirc, my wife's EyeSight system in her Forester lets you click one of the buttons to do regular cruise instead of adaptive.

Regarding the Performance version, is there any way to do a refund or an exchange on your current vehicle? I wonder if you could call up a Tesla rep and tell them you're just not happy with the config & want to get a faster one, or something.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Regarding the Performance version, is there any way to do a refund or an exchange on your current vehicle?

no..
once u accept delivery its done and done, unless u got a lemon.

You can reject delivery and lose out on the non refundable 2500 deposit.

Personally tho, Performance edition on the M3, IMO isnt worth it.
However i would of Opt'd for the dual motors, which i think Aikouka is going to bang his head against the wall alter on.

The reason for this is because you really want AWD on a car which has that much torque, especially where it snows and in the rain. I heard a lot of people rant and complain on how the Model S P85 is and was a dangerous car due to all that torque in the rear wheel causing the car to constantly fish tail.

Not to mention the value of the car increases tremendously by having dual motors.
Lastly the dual motor does not eat that much more battery life.
I heard when your on the freeway, one of the motors shut off and u go on single motor when cruising.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

I cheat it tho, by putting a fishing weight on the side of my steering wheel so i dont get nag screen.
However i never use it at the last lane, because it seems that lane always has the most problems.
I also make sure i keep my eyes on the road constantly from time to time, as i am not going to rear end a fire truck (knock on wood).

Seems like Teslas has something on rear ending a fire truck...

Semi-trucks too for that matter I would think. My new Santa Fe has a very good description in the manual about where the sensors are located for the different safety features, and the radar cruise control is mounted in the middle below the grill. They specifically pointed out that due to the placement of the sensor, it can sometimes miss vehicles that are taller than normal cars at the rear... so semi trailers, moving trucks, and emergency trucks could be missed by the radar if you're not paying attention.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Speaking of M3s, what are Bimmer fanboys doing at Supercharger stations? :p

As for the turn signals, people have complained about them on BMWs for a while now. Not sure who innovated it, but it works fine for me. The only issue I have is that 3 blinks is not enough, but my car and others does not allow more blinks to be coded. Even better is Alfa Romeo's implementation on the Giulia; if you engage the turn signal (i.e. the full push past the "resistance point"), you cannot turn it off with a half-push in the opposite direction. You're forced to complete a turn before the signal shuts itself off!

I don't drive it often but I'm pretty sure the 7th gen Honda Accord has the same style turn signals, so these are fairly common by now. I like how one mode works well for easy lane changes and the traditional mode is for full turns (or careful lane changes into heavy traffic).

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
My Lexus GS450h also has this kind of signals. It's pretty common in all the nicer cars. In my car's case I can adjust the blinks from 3, 6 or 9 times.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I had an issue today (just using cruise control not auto-steer) where I was switching to the right from the left-most lane on a four-lane (per direction) road, and the car suddenly slowed down about 10 MPH due to seeing a vehicle that was in the lane to the right of the one that I was moving into. Of course, as I've seen before, this happened on a curve. My only guess is that there's a point where the car's system loses the understanding of the lane structure, and it sees that vehicle as one directionally in front of me (since we're going around a curve, it is technically directly in front of the nose of my car). I'll have to pay more attention to the lane indicators on the screen to see what it shows, because I did see a point earlier where it did not do this, but I did see that the lanes were shown on the screen... so it understood that I was in a separate lane from the other car. Oh, and fortunately, the vehicle behind me was far enough away that it didn't cause a problem.

Overall, these sort of situations reduce my trust in the system, and I don't know how I can consider it relaxing when I have to be in a constant state of worry that my car will decide to brake due to an improper judgment.

Regarding the Performance version, is there any way to do a refund or an exchange on your current vehicle? I wonder if you could call up a Tesla rep and tell them you're just not happy with the config & want to get a faster one, or something.

From what I heard, there's a two-day return window, but I don't think you can do that to change your configuration. You can change it after it gets locked in, but you have to pay a fee at that point.

Although, to be honest, I'm not sure if it's worthwhile even considering a faster version when I leave my car in Chill mode all the time. :p I mostly do that because people have noted that TACC is sometimes a bit too quick with its reactions in Standard mode, which causes jolts due to quick acceleration/braking.

Personally tho, Performance edition on the M3, IMO isnt worth it.
However i would of Opt'd for the dual motors, which i think Aikouka is going to bang his head against the wall alter on.

The reason for this is because you really want AWD on a car which has that much torque, especially where it snows and in the rain. I heard a lot of people rant and complain on how the Model S P85 is and was a dangerous car due to all that torque in the rear wheel causing the car to constantly fish tail.

Not to mention the value of the car increases tremendously by having dual motors.
Lastly the dual motor does not eat that much more battery life.
I heard when your on the freeway, one of the motors shut off and u go on single motor when cruising.

From what I heard, the Model 3 does not shut off a motor when cruising like the X and the S do. This came up in a discussion about why the AWD S and X are more efficient than the RWD model, but it's the exact opposite for the 3. Apparently, the S and X will shut off the rear motor when cruising, but the 3 cannot do this because it uses a fixed magnetic motor in the back where the X and S use induction motors in both positions. Apparently, it's very easy to "turn off" an induction motor. The difference between RWD and AWD is about 8%.

I've actually heard the opposite about how the Model 3 handles in inclement weather. Apparently, the RWD Model 3 handles quite well with the only recommendation being to use snow tires during the winter if you live in a snowy climate.

To be honest, I'm not too sure about value over time for these cars. It's going to be hard to tell with the Model 3. You can't really compare it to the S or the X, because as mentioned earlier, those provide tangible range benefits through efficiency gains. The one big question mark about my car will be how much FSD ends up being worth the cost. I decided to eat it early on given the post-delivery cost is significantly higher ($3000 vs $5000), but as we know, it literally does nothing right now.

My Lexus GS450h also has this kind of signals. It's pretty common in all the nicer cars. In my car's case I can adjust the blinks from 3, 6 or 9 times.

Yeah, my Ford had it as well, but I'm pretty sure my turn signal is broken in the Tesla. When I push it up slightly, I get 3 blinks to the right, but when I push it down slightly, I get a persistent blink to the left that only goes away when I push the stalk back up. I can also hold the stalk up slightly to get a persistent right blink that will go away when I let the stalk go.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Here's very well done video of guy picking up Uber riders in his Model 3. Musk needs to tweet this kind of video instead of all the crazy stuff he's been tweeting recently.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
My Ecoboost (4-cylinder) Mustang costs me nearly $50 to fill up with Premium gas (turbo engine) in my area :(

Do you really need the Premium gas, though? I’ve found that the 5.0 V8 runs happily on 89 octane.

They have a Mustang hybrid coming in 2020, although I don’t think that your typical Mustang driver cares about fuel mileage much. I can get 26 MPG on the highway, but I usually only get around 17 because I drive it like I stole it :)

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Do you really need the Premium gas, though? I’ve found that the 5.0 V8 runs happily on 89 octane.

They have a Mustang hybrid coming in 2020, although I don’t think that your typical Mustang driver cares about fuel mileage much. I can get 26 MPG on the highway, but I usually only get around 17 because I drive it like I stole it :)

Need - no, but it kinda kills the turbo fun if you don't use premium, and for a few extra bucks a tank, I think the fun is worth it. On 91/93, it makes 310 horsepower, and the turbo actually kicks in hard, whereas on 87, it makes 275 horsepower:

https://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/05/2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost-loses-big-power-on-87-octane/

So you lose 35 hoursepower & 20 ft-lb of torque if you don't put premium in. A couple cars ago, I had a 2001 straight-six twin-turbo Volvo S80 & the difference between fuels was like night & day. On regular gas, it was just a car with a 6-cylinder engline. On premium gas, it was sooooooo much more fun. That turbo REALLY lit up on high-octane fuel! It was like a dead battery without it, haha. The Ecoboost isn't much different...it's still plenty powerful on 87, but if you can go higher, it's a lot more fun!

Your V8 5L is a beast no matter what you put in tho, so I suspect that's why your car feels fine on regular fuel. My little turbo likes the extra boost tho, for sure! My best trip has been 46 miles at 36 MPG (basically hyper-miling it), but I usually get around 19 MPG with how I've been driving it lately, lol. When it's dry out, track mode is a lot of fun for zipping around in :D

I'm curious to see if the hybrid Mustang takes Ford's approach for the Fusion pursuit hybrid - it uses the electric battery & motor as a boost:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/10/ford-s-hybrid-cop-car-has-electric-boost-for-high-speed-chases/

I plan on keeping my Ecoboost forever though (unless the rumors come true & they offer an AWD Mustang, which is kind of un-American, but then again, so is a 4-cylinder Mustang, hahaha). Down the road, I'd like to get it paid off & then pick up a Model Y once those get into production (and get the bugs worked out) & use that as more of a DD & AWD winter car. It's pretty easy to get to 500 HP in the Ecoboost Mustang, so there's a lot of opportunity for modding down the road, although I'm not going to touch it until the warranty expires (don't wanna get the dreaded EcoBoom lol).

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i see a lot of m3's now in So Cali..,

And on top a lot of young people driving them.
And they think they are faster then my p100d or that im running fake badges, for some reason, so i have to humble them each time one tries to creep ahead of me on a stop light.