3080TI/3070TI Reviews Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I don't think anyone cares. This generation is a total bust unless a miracle drops the prices.

I suspect low end cards are intentionally being held back so the gouging can continue.

3070TI Edit:

Colossal power consumption increase for marginal extra performance overall. I've said for years that memory bandwidth hasn't been the primary limitation on GPUs.

LOL @ 8GB for "$600".

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
One of the things that I liked about the 3070 is that it has lower power usage, which is kind of nice given that power gets turned into heat and then dumped into the room. As a result, it was pretty disappointing to see the delta fairly well removed by the 3070 Ti, and that's with little to show for it.

Reactions: Cableman

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I imagine that in an MSRP world it would have had 16 GB GDDR6 instead. Would that make the value a little bit better compared to the 3070? Dunno but it does look like the GDDR6X is going to waste.

It seems to me that nvidia is fairly committed to using memory capacity as a carrot on their next generation cards.

I really think it will matter as the consoles dedicate ~10-12GB of ram to graphics, the 3080 and even better (but holy cow markup) the 3080ti should be good to go, with the 3090 laughing at the controversy. Buying a 3070 class card for ~$1,500 is going to feel brutal when you have to keep turning down features to avoid big frame dips. My $0.02.

I do think it will work as a trick though, and many 3070 owners will flock to the 12-16GB 4070 when/if it is available. If there is a mining crash this will keep the 4xxx generation relevant to many buyers who might otherwise stay with the 3xxx generation they can find cheaply.

It's like the Apple tricks (saying this as an iPhone and iPad owner) where they seem to reserve perks for future hardware releases so as to keep their products desirable over the long term rather than dropping one huge pile of goodness all at once. And then we thank them for the new features when they come to us over the years :D

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Even at MSRP the 3070TI would have landed with a wet splat, but in a post-MSRP world who knows.

We'll see if the HRL makes any sort of tangible difference in street pricing between the two cards, although I doubt it.

I'm curious about this as well. Since mining profits are down, then combined with LHR, far fewer of the Ti cards should be going to miners, right? Yet, the 3080Ti is selling for over $2500. Is that gamers buying them at that price? What I really think is that spending other people's money on something you want right now makes it much easier to pull the trigger.
I can guarantee you one thing right now and I'd bet my HOUSE on this: If people had to pay cash for these cards there'd be no supply shortage of anything.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I'm curious about this as well. Since mining profits are down, then combined with LHR, far fewer of the Ti cards should be going to miners, right? Yet, the 3080Ti is selling for over $2500. Is that gamers buying them at that price? What I really think is that spending other people's money on something you want right now makes it much easier to pull the trigger.
I can guarantee you one thing right now and I'd bet my HOUSE on this: If people had to pay cash for these cards there'd be no supply shortage of anything.

Haha, I bet there would be no housing shortage if folks had to pay up front either :D

Does your house come with mortgage attached? ;) That impacts how I value it :p

Counterpoint -

I had read Discover and the like were firing up more "promos" because too much sub prime CC debt got paid off last year and this was going to impact their earnings in 2021. Some might call that... predatory?

Anyway, that does also indicate that folks have more credit available to them.

I always feel bad for the companies who miss their earnings targets because the people they depend on to be income whales managed to pay down their debt. It makes me really sad. /s because this is the Internet.

Reactions: Mopetar

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Haha, I bet there would be no housing shortage if folks had to pay up front either :D

Does your house come with mortgage attached? ;) That impacts how I value it :p

Counterpoint -

I had read Discover and the like were firing up more promos because too much CC debt got paid off last year and this was going to impact their earnings in 2021. Some might call that... predatory?

Anyway, that does also indicate that folks have more credit available to them.

GPUs fall into a slightly different category I'd think. My plan is to debt shame people out of their purchase. This increases our odds, so shhh.

• Haha
Reactions: blckgrffn

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I love how Anandtech doesnt even mention GPU launches anymore. Not just skipping reviews, but just flat out pretending they dont exist. GPU reviews from Derek Wilson and Ryan are what made me fall in love with this site. I miss them so much

- Yeah I noticed that too. They took the time to mention the 3060Ti, but that was just about it.

Starting to wonder if this is the beginning of the end for the AT frontpage... sort of like when Radioshack gave up o their bread and butter business and started hawking cell phones at everyone that walked in the door.