3080TI/3070TI Reviews Thread

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I don't think anyone cares. This generation is a total bust unless a miracle drops the prices.

I suspect low end cards are intentionally being held back so the gouging can continue.

3070TI Edit:

Colossal power consumption increase for marginal extra performance overall. I've said for years that memory bandwidth hasn't been the primary limitation on GPUs.

LOL @ 8GB for "$600".

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
This just means the 40 series standard of pricing will increase. Nvidia is pricing the 3080Ti like this because they can. They saw and they don't care who buys them, that they will sell at any price. It's like there is no limit.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
lol at the GN review. It's funny how he bashes it at $1200. Like anyone will actually get it at that price.

It also seems to use the 3080 coolor and not the much bigger 3090 cooler. It means the AIB ones will be better than the FE.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
How is it that Anandtech still doesn't have any GPU reviews? I mean, I know that they were evacuated from the fires last year, but last I had seen was that it didn't hit the neighborhood that the test bench was located, but they still had to deal with the lose of power, etc., from the fire. But that was last October/November...

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I know that nVidia is trying to prevent post mining video card price collapse by limiting hashrate, but at the price they're trying to push these cards for, there is going to be another price collapse LHR or not and it's going to be brutal. Fun times ahead.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Remember when an AMD executive made a $20 bet that AMD would not have a GPU shortage? Back to the OP's original thought. Yes, they are hiding inventory to increase prices. It seems that Nvidia's GPU's have been far easier to get than AMD GPU's.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Nvidia is going to limit the supply of the 3070/80 GPU's and increase 3070ti/80ti so they can get a larger slice of the cake for every sold GPU. With the prices so far above MSRP and people still buying the video cards, it would be stupid financially not to do so.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Nvidia is going to limit the supply of the 3070/80 GPU's and increase 3070ti/80ti so they can get a larger slice of the cake for every sold GPU. With the prices so far above MSRP and people still buying the video cards, it would be stupid financially not to do so.

Yep. As much as I hate these crazy times and prices, if I were running NVidia, I'd raise the MSRP as well to get a cut of the insane pricing.

A lower MSRP would just give more money to the retail/reseller channel, not actually get cheaper cards to consumers.

Ultimately the ONLY way to get lower prices is for consumers to stop paying these insane prices.

I bought Case/PSU and CPU cooler, to do a build, and shelved it because of the insane prices, that I won't contribute to.

Reactions: Mopetar

Leon

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 1999
I don't think anyone cares.

If that was the case, there wouldn't be any shortages. Demand is off the charts, AIB will price this $1800 or above.

https://corporate.bestbuy.com/what-...e-rtx-3080-ti-founders-edition-graphics-card/

BestBuy corporate actually released a statement. They will be issuing "tickets" for an opportunity to purchase this thing, and lines are already forming. So yes, people do care. Care enough to stand in line for 12 hours to buy $1200 video card.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

Far as I've seen the 3080 supply may as well not exist. Now that the TI is out, it will just be handfuls to supposedly have a card at the $699 MSRP pricepoint. In reality, you will maybe be able to buy a much inferior 3070ti for $750+ at retail.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Any sign of the Anandtech review?

- AT's GPU review situation is pretty bad. Go check out that 6800M laptop review a few days ago, their GPU test suite consists of some absolute relics to the point that the 6800M was hitting a CPU bottleneck (on a 5900HX no less!) at the laptop's native res. Had to plug the system up to an external 4K monitor to actually stress the GPU at all.

Even one good all around test of something like Cyberpunk or Metro Exodus would have been more representative of today and tomorrow's gaming workload.

Remember when an AMD executive made a $20 bet that AMD would not have a GPU shortage? Back to the OP's original thought. Yes, they are hiding inventory to increase prices. It seems that Nvidia's GPU's have been far easier to get than AMD GPU's.

- I don't think the reason is so nefarious. AMD is selling GPUs hand over fist right now, no reason not to release everything possible into this environment.

AMD likely severely underestimated demand for their products and the supply chain disruptions, is obligated to prioritize OEM & contract deliveries before DIY deliveries ( Consoles, the Dell/HP/Apples of the world, etc), and is stuck having all their products compete for manufacturing space at TSMC while NV's initially dumb looking decision to go with Samsung seems to be paying off a bit more here since their chips are essentially the only thing Samsung are manufacturing (other than Samsung chips, of course).

Reactions: scineram

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
- AT's GPU review situation is pretty bad. Go check out that 6800M laptop review a few days ago, their GPU test suite consists of some absolute relics to the point that the 6800M was hitting a CPU bottleneck (on a 5900HX no less!) at the laptop's native res. Had to plug the system up to an external 4K monitor to actually stress the GPU at all.

Even one good all around test of something like Cyberpunk or Metro Exodus would have been more representative of today and tomorrow's gaming workload.

- I don't think the reason is so nefarious. AMD is selling GPUs hand over fist right now, no reason not to release everything possible into this environment.

AMD likely severely underestimated demand for their products and the supply chain disruptions, is obligated to prioritize OEM & contract deliveries before DIY deliveries ( Consoles, the Dell/HP/Apples of the world, etc), and is stuck having all their products compete for manufacturing space at TSMC while NV's initially dumb looking decision to go with Samsung seems to be paying off a bit more here since their chips are essentially the only thing Samsung are manufacturing (other than Samsung chips, of course).
Do your research. The guy said it before and during the crypto craze. He still said AMD had enough supply to meet market needs. Nvidia has supplied the market with far more GPU's and Nvidia said they would have a problem meeting demand. The demand has been far worse in the last 6 months than when the statement was made shortly before the RDNA2 GPU release.

I have been around the block in the computer era. I don't lose sleep over all this nonsense. We have seen it before. Today the cycles are much shorter than in years past. Fire sale prices should be around the corner.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I was in the discord channels and people were already going to line up in New Jersey around 5-pm est time.

I'll never do that but with crypto the way it's been and so many people working from home/building and rebuilding, it's obvious it doesn't seem like there is a limit to what price people aren't willing to pay. There's always people with more money than brains or perhaps I shouldn't say that.

There's a lot of people sitting with new builds on integrated graphics or their old gpu died and now they are royally screwed because even a card that should be $300 is now $600-700.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Do your research. The guy said it before and during the crypto craze. He still said AMD had enough supply to meet market needs. Nvidia has supplied the market with far more GPU's and Nvidia said they would have a problem meeting demand. The demand has been far worse in the last 6 months than when the statement was made shortly before the RDNA2 GPU release.

-Research what? Frank Azor talking out of his ass?

PR guy makes up BS to sound good on Twitter and it's proof of some grand conspiracy?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Not sure I understand people saying that nVidia is holding back inventory to make more money. Because that is typically not how economics work as an OEM.

nVidia/AMD makes components, that they sell to another company that then puts those components into a final product. That final product then sells to a reseller who then lists it for sale. Demand is super high, while supply is low, so the reseller jacks up the prices because people are willing to pay it.

As far as I know, there isn't any evidence that nVidia/AMD are jacking their chip prices way up. Meaning, if they limit the number of chips available, they LOSE money.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Not sure I understand people saying that nVidia is holding back inventory to make more money. Because that is typically not how economics work as an OEM.

nVidia/AMD makes components, that they sell to another company that then puts those components into a final product. That final product then sells to a reseller who then lists it for sale. Demand is super high, while supply is low, so the reseller jacks up the prices because people are willing to pay it.

As far as I know, there isn't any evidence that nVidia/AMD are jacking their chip prices way up. Meaning, if they limit the number of chips available, they LOSE money.

Obviously they're selling all the chips they can produce, but as 3090, 3080ti and 3080 all use the ga102 GPU, then nvidia would rather sell 1000 GPUs for the 3080ti than the 3080, as they can charge more from the OEMs. So they can decide how many of their ga102 chips that are being produced for different cards. (If yields are good enough that is)

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
It’s pretty hard to guess on yields since the 3080 was so much better value. It’s not like lack of 3080’s indicated a good/bad yield of complete ga102.

3080ti prices nearing 3090 prices despite half the amount of “expensive” gddr6x tells a bit of a tale tho.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
In a traditional market, the 3080Ti would be about $100 more than the standard 3080 considering the modest spec bump. Double the price is hilarious, but that's what it is. It's easy and even feels good to blame miners, but the truth is probably that many gamers are wide-eyed and foaming at the mouth just as hard and will charge $2500 to buy a gaming card without even thinking about it. I suspect this is a FOMO, panic driven addiction for many. There's no other explanation for spending that much on a GPU unless you can actually afford it or will use it to make money in some way. Most buyers don't fit that description, so the only alternative explanation is they are CRAZY! I'm talking brains-in-a-blender kind of crazy, like zombified, eyes glazed over kind of crazy.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Seems kinda like a meh product, though I can understand those who may be desperate for an upgrade purchasing it at a high price. I bought a 3090 after all. I suppose partner cards with custom cooling could be pretty nice. I personally will be skeptical buying Nvidia based cards in the future, due to the LHR nonsense. I don't mine much anymore, but I don't like being told what I can and cannot due with my card(s). This is why I prefer AMD's approach, especially since they are more open source friendly. Though I understand they aren't perfect.

Hopefully with ETH going PoS, and supply improving soon, cards in general will become easier and cheaper to get. We still may have to worry about scalpers and bots though. And possibly ETC or other coins.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Obviously they're selling all the chips they can produce, but as 3090, 3080ti and 3080 all use the ga102 GPU, then nvidia would rather sell 1000 GPUs for the 3080ti than the 3080, as they can charge more from the OEMs. So they can decide how many of their ga102 chips that are being produced for different cards. (If yields are good enough that is)

Which is just a sensible business decision, that really won't have much impact on anyone looking for an inexpensive card in these crazy times. You will have a hard time buying a 3070 for $1200 right now, so they may as well price the 3080 ti at that.

If it weren't for the GPU insanity, they would have priced this card at $999 or maybe even $899. If the insanity goes away, it would drop to that.

But IMO even if Crypto implodes, it's not going to improve GPU prices soon. Resellers and Scalpers have learned to monopolize the supply and won't give that up soon.

The Ampere supply getting to gamers isn't even that constrained, just look how RTX 3000 cards are moving up the Steam Survey. The RTX 3070 has already passed the RX 5700, RX 5700 XT, RTX 2080, RTX 2080 Ti, and even the GTX 1080 Ti, which for many was peak GPU for many years running.

It's just GPUs are like Tulip Bulb mania right now, and Scalpers, Resellers and shady Retailers are all making bank on the mania.

Reactions: Tlh97

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Well little Vega 64, you will have to just hold on babe! When games come out that you won't be able to handle, I won't buy the game. Not paying those prices ever, it is what it is. Maybe in a couple of years I can get a 6800 xt used or something and you can retire, like me. I'm patient. It's just you and me little Vega.