Question 3080 Shortage & Big Navi? Blessing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ejohanss69

Nov 12, 2009
It's pretty easy to be frustrated with the inability to buy a 3080. Like many in this forum, I too was vigorously refreshing vendor pages the fateful day of launch, and got so far as checkout before I was given the "I'm sorry, the item you are buying is no longer available". Now, I'm enduring the frustrating 'in-stock' messages I'm getting from Amazon and others, only to be brought to a vendor that is asking $1,500+ for a 3080.

I'm also watching Nvidia's reaction, as well as their promise (and other vendors) of "thousands" of 3080's being made available this week and next. This is not giving me any hope of everything lining up for me to actually get one before the end of October.

However, it's got me thinking, what if all of this ends up being a blessing, not a curse? What if the higher end version of Big Navi actually rivals 3080 performance, but at $150-$200 less?

What do we really know about Big Navi - is this a possibility for the 'best' part in their product stack?

If I'm AMD, and if I know after testing a 3080 that my 'best' Big Navi part rivals / beats 3080, I start leaking benchmarks immediately.

Your thoughts?

Reactions: the901

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think AMD is likely to be more competitive in actual performance with nVdia than they have been in many years, and that nVidia is pretty much aware of this. Hence, the "pretty good" pricing for 3080. They get their stuff out there and price it such that the upgrade market is dried up as much as it can be.

However, if AMD manages to be power/performance/price competitive is another story. I very much doubt their pricing is going to be that far off from direct nVidia tiers. It doesn't make much sense for them now. Also, everyone in the industry is dealing with the same supply issues this year. Don't expect AMD to have a much better launch than nVidia wrg to available hardware on release.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I think AMD is likely to be more competitive in actual performance with nVdia than they have been in many years, and that nVidia is pretty much aware of this. Hence, the "pretty good" pricing for 3080. They get their stuff out there and price it such that the upgrade market is dried up as much as it can be.

However, if AMD manages to be power/performance/price competitive is another story. I very much doubt their pricing is going to be that far off from direct nVidia tiers. It doesn't make much sense for them now. Also, everyone in the industry is dealing with the same supply issues this year. Don't expect AMD to have a much better launch than nVidia wrg to available hardware on release.
The reality is no one should expect killer mid range cards at $300 anymore. And no high end for $450-600 anymore. Unless there is a technical breakthrough that slashes node prices into a fraction they are right now, we won't see those cheap prices anymore.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003

It seems that may be the case, at least from the info i have seen. Being cheaper and hopefully *gasp* being in stock too [if it will be] would be awesome too!

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Comments on supply from Nvidia CEO for what it's worth. He also said to expect shortages to last through the end of the year.

"The 3080 and 3090 have a demand issue, not a supply issue," said Huang. "The demand issue is that it is much much greater than we expected — and we expected really a lot."

"Retailers will tell you they haven't seen a phenomenon like this in over a decade of computing. It hearkens back to the old days of Windows 95 and Pentium when people were just out of their minds to buy this stuff. So this is a phenomenon like we've not seen in a long time, and we just weren't prepared for it."

"Even if we knew about all the demand, I don't think it's possible to have ramped that fast. We're ramping really, really hard. Yields are great, the product's shipping fantastically, it's just getting sold out instantly," said Huang. "I appreciate it very much, I just don't think there's a real problem to solve. It's a phenomenon to observe. It's just a phenomenon."

DDH

May 30, 2015
Reactions: NTMBK

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Comments on supply from Nvidia CEO for what it's worth. He also said to expect shortages to last through the end of the year.

Lies and spin is what that is. There is a shortage. You can't tell me they are getting sold out when Amazon never even had any stock. That multi billion dollar etailer, one of the largest retailers in the world, had ZERO to sell. Not to mention that if supply was fine, there would be cards in stock to purchase.

Reactions: Tlh97

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Just to give another data point to your experience with Radeon cards, I have owned the following cards in the last 5 years:

R9 290X
RX480
RX580
Vega 56@64
Radeon VII
and R5700XT

No major driver problems, had one multi-monitor issue on my 144Hz Asus on R VII which was fixed 2 months after launch, but the bug was easy to live with as just power cycling monitor to reinitialise DP connection was removing vertical line on screen (TBH that is a known ASUS firmware issue but to fix it I would have to send monitor away).
Same, has gone through similar cards and still am using a Vega 56, can't remember the last time I've had driver issues, maybe back when I had an HD7770 which eventually died on me and got it RMA'd which obviously wasn't a driver issue. Radeon's Eyefinity is more of a pain in the ass than Nvidia's Surround is however, I use triples for my sim racing rig and used to use an RX 580 on it before upgrading it to a GTX1070Ti.

My list is a bit too long for the AMD cards I've used since I've used AMD/ATI cards since the post-3Dfx era, one of the most memorable cards I've had was the R770Pro because it was dirt cheap and almost a top level card at the time and saved my arse from the bad Nvidia FX series at the time (which had massive artifact issues in some of my games).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Just an FYI. EVGA is now doing a queue system for their email notification system. If you sign up to be notified of stock returning, they will send out emails in the order they received the request and each email will have a secure link personalized for you to buy a card. You have 8 hours from the time they send the email to make a purchase. If a purchase is not made they send the email to the next person in line. Each person can only buy one card and you have to use the same email as your EVGA account or create one using the same email address they sent the link to.

Pretty good way to avoid bots buying them up IMO.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
BestBuy has had a few Gigabyte 3080 offerings in stock currently.

Sold out now. Not sure how long they were there, but I did have 1 in the cart and tried to checkout. It looked good to go thru, but I didn't even want one anyways so aborted the mission.

Last edited:

Guru

May 5, 2017
So we got the tease for big navi and it is of similar performance to the RTX 3080, seems like a tie in Borderlands and slightly slower in the other games, so I'm guessing 5% slower on average across a wide range of games, but its got 16GB of vram, lower power consumption and I'm guessing lower price, but not like OP's wet dreams. There is no way AMD would release a 3080 competitor and price it $150 dollars less, that is just insane. I believe its going to be $50 dollars less, it will perform 5-6% less, but it will have more vram, lower power consumption and better ray tracing performance and more console ports that support AMD's ray tracing implementation.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I am talking the proprietary drivers under linux, because they are the only way to get the full power out of the cards. Yes the open source driver “works”, but as has been seen by anyone doing a comparison of 3D performance or GPU compute loads, the performance is easily 20-30% less (or more depending on what you are doing). The same is true with Nvidia cards and the open source driver. But at least Nvidia’s proprietary drivers install and work (and performance wise get you similar results as in Windows and in some cases, for compute loads, even better results) and support your cards (they use the similar unified driver approach as under Windows, supporting the same/similar cards with the driver version as they do for Windows).

AMD's open source driver is great. Very stable, no speed issues. Its by far the better GPU driver option for Linux.

Also, nVidia does not have an open source driver. The open source driver for nVidia cards is nouveau, which is not made by nVidia. Which is why it is horrible. If you use an nVidia card in linux, you are forced into use their proprietary driver if you want any kind of performance at all.

Reactions: lightmanek

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
BestBuy has had a few Gigabyte 3080 offerings in stock currently.

Sold out now. Not sure how long they were there, but I did have 1 in the cart and tried to checkout. It looked good to go thru, but I didn't even want one anyways so aborted the mission.

Problem with bestbuy and I assume others is they have a notification system but you never see an email when stock returns. I can’t sit on every retailer 24/7 hitting refresh lol

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Just an FYI. EVGA is now doing a queue system for their email notification system. If you sign up to be notified of stock returning, they will send out emails in the order they received the request and each email will have a secure link personalized for you to buy a card. You have 8 hours from the time they send the email to make a purchase. If a purchase is not made they send the email to the next person in line. Each person can only buy one card and you have to use the same email as your EVGA account or create one using the same email address they sent the link to.

Pretty good way to avoid bots buying them up IMO.

What prevents bots from creating EVGA accounts and signing up?

It's obviously another hurdle for them and will help somewhat, but hardly a complete solution.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
What prevents bots from creating EVGA accounts and signing up?

It's obviously another hurdle for them and will help somewhat, but hardly a complete solution.

Well for one you have to respond to the email. One email per email address one purchase per account associated with that address. If you wanna write a scrips so you get 1 card then be my guest lol. You can’t go on there and buy more than one. That’s what I’m saying. It’s a damn sight better than fighting for scraps on Newegg or best buy. It’s more than anyone else is doing to help people get a card. It’s better than Best Buy’s generic “we are sorry but demand is high” and doing nothing to help people get just 1 card.

So I give props to EVGA even if you don’t because clearly they are about the only ones who really care. Even Nvidia is doing damage control. There IS a supply problem and they did get hit with tons of spam bots and the leading AI company in the world could do nothing about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elfear and Martimus

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Problem with bestbuy and I assume others is they have a notification system but you never see an email when stock returns. I can’t sit on every retailer 24/7 hitting refresh lol

I usually just hit BestBuy's website in the AM to see what the deal of the day is. I figured I'd take a quick look and see while I was there anyways. Point being that it's possible although highly unlikely that you can stumble across one is all.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Actually, got a notification from Best Buy a couple of days ago that the 3090 was in stock, link took to me to the page and when I clicked on Add to Cart, it was sold out. Sucks too b/c it's my bday week, I can get 10% off on the card.

They hadn't had the 3090 in stock yet so you could sign up for a notification. Now that they have had it in stock and sold out, you can't sign up for a notification now.

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
My thought is that Amd has absolutely nothing to match a RTX 3080, so you either wait to get the new Nvidia RTX 30 series or you buy lower performance less featured obviously cheaper Big Navi, they also showed some benchmarks of the upcoming Big Navi and it looks bad...Some people desperately want to believe that it wasnt Big Navi being showed there but if you think logically about it who the hell shows benchmarks of a card being slower than the new Nvidia gpu's, it wouldnt make sense and it doesnt make any sense, thats just wishfull thinking...

If Amd had a faster gpu they would have shown the performance so no one is going to buy the new Nvidia gpu's and everyone would wait for Big Navi...

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
they also showed some benchmarks of the upcoming Big Navi and it looks bad
It looks bad? I'm not sure you saw the same benchmarks as the rest of the world, but the benchmarks showed it was roughly equivalent to a 3080. Maybe you meant bad compared to the 3090?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
If Amd had a faster gpu they would have shown the performance so no one is going to buy the new Nvidia gpu's and everyone would wait for Big Navi...

LOL, as if people could buy 3080's even if they wanted to. AMD had zero reason to show their top end card in a teaser. They would gain nothing by it.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I'm in the opposite boat where I splurged for a nice monitor before the Gsync/Freesync unification for Geforce cards. So I bought a monitor with the hardware Gsync module. That means if I want to keep Sync tech on AMD i'd need to basically retire this $500 monitor which works great and looks great. So unless the 6xxx AMD cards are wildly better it just doesnt make any financial sense to move from nVidia for me. The Gsync lock in strategy is definitely working on me

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Honestly now that i think about it, i'm not too salty about limited availability.
This forces me to wait to see what AMD comes out without getting blasted by buyers remorse later on.

Also, it has made me shift from absolutely getting a 3090, to a maybe i should wait for the 20gb 3080, as 10% honestly does not translate to double price. Id honestly rather spend that extra 800 dollars on a 8TB Gen4 nVME.

But still i guess we will have to wait and see.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
right.

but the 3090 is BAD compared to a 3080. :D

that's true, because even when sli worked, you still got at least 33% increase by having second card, at double the price.

10% is just.... sigh...

your better off getting a second 3080 and trying to find hacked drivers for sli, but then you got problems of having a limited amount of pcie lanes.