Question 3080 Shortage & Big Navi? Blessing?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ejohanss69

Nov 12, 2009
It's pretty easy to be frustrated with the inability to buy a 3080. Like many in this forum, I too was vigorously refreshing vendor pages the fateful day of launch, and got so far as checkout before I was given the "I'm sorry, the item you are buying is no longer available". Now, I'm enduring the frustrating 'in-stock' messages I'm getting from Amazon and others, only to be brought to a vendor that is asking $1,500+ for a 3080.

I'm also watching Nvidia's reaction, as well as their promise (and other vendors) of "thousands" of 3080's being made available this week and next. This is not giving me any hope of everything lining up for me to actually get one before the end of October.

However, it's got me thinking, what if all of this ends up being a blessing, not a curse? What if the higher end version of Big Navi actually rivals 3080 performance, but at $150-$200 less?

What do we really know about Big Navi - is this a possibility for the 'best' part in their product stack?

If I'm AMD, and if I know after testing a 3080 that my 'best' Big Navi part rivals / beats 3080, I start leaking benchmarks immediately.

Your thoughts?

Reactions: the901

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Looks like there was a PNY 3090 available for 1649+tax on NE/Amazon for a few seconds. Only 1000 over the 3080 price for 15% more performance and many folks think it was a good deal :p At this point most folks should get a decent 2070S-2080ti and forget about this for a few months. Evga has b-stock sales on Wednesdays with good prices, sometimes Zotac has good refurb deals too though I personally hate them, and there is always the option of a 90-day rental from a big box store for the holidays.By Jan most of this should have worked itself out.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Looks like there was a PNY 3090 available for 1649+tax on NE/Amazon for a few seconds. Only 1000 over the 3080 price for 15% more performance and many folks think it was a good deal :p At this point most folks should get a decent 2070S-2080ti and forget about this for a few months. Evga has b-stock sales on Wednesdays with good prices, sometimes Zotac has good refurb deals too though I personally hate them, and there is always the option of a 90-day rental from a big box store for the holidays.By Jan most of this should have worked itself out.

I’m not sure January would be enough time to get adequate stock. I kind of think a lot of people will either end up with a 3070 or an AMD card if they can get them. The situation with the 3080 could have been avoided if Nvidia would have waited for better stock levels before the launch. I personally feel like they rushed to launch.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
I’m not sure January would be enough time to get adequate stock. I kind of think a lot of people will either end up with a 3070 or an AMD card if they can get them. The situation with the 3080 could have been avoided if Nvidia would have waited for better stock levels before the launch. I personally feel like they rushed to launch.
Yeah let's see, I'm renting a 2070S from BB. Sold an out of warranty 2080 ti I got as a refurb for 7xx few weeks back. Worst comes to worst, will pick a bstock 2080 ti from evga esp if they go in the 5-6xx range soon with 3070 out, availability aside. Not sure why people are so surprised a 3070 outperforms a 2080 ti albeit slightly.The original Turing releases were duds but the 2070S outperforms the previous 1080 Ti, sometimes significantly in newer titles, so the situation is not entirely dissimilar.