280x Prices up 20%?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Was messing around on the computer and ran across newegg having stock of the msi 280x for $300. Used masterpass promo and snagged it for $270.:D

Nice score, hopefully this means stock is coming back at normal pricing and it wasn't just a leftover lot that they found...

Are you gonna keep it or sell it at a profit?

May 13, 2009
Nice score, hopefully this means stock is coming back at normal pricing and it wasn't just a leftover lot that they found...

Are you gonna keep it or sell it at a profit?

It's going to be used to game. Even if I flipped it for a profit the money I got from it wouldn't be enough to give me an upgrade from a 280x. The nvidia equivalent is a 4gb 770 and that's about all I could get from flipping it and tbh I'd rather have the 280x.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Yeah, I think someone at Newegg forgot to gouge on pricing before listing it.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
It's ridiculous. I was really hoping to get one, but they're well out of price range for 400+ dollars.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Yep. It's crap. Well, I mean it's a fast GPU. But it's not even a custom cooler, it's just a terrible deal for a gamer.

Now it's priced (the 280X, a glorified 7970GE) above what can get a 780 Lightning for (which isn't exactly a bargain anyway, but WHAT?).

MrDark

Dec 9, 2013
Yep. It's crap. Well, I mean it's a fast GPU. But it's not even a custom cooler, it's just a terrible deal for a gamer.

Now it's priced (the 280X, a glorified 7970GE) above what can get a 780 Lightning for (which isn't exactly a bargain anyway, but WHAT?).

Well, the bubble just burst so I expect to see a lot of used cards on the market. Newegg rubbed me the wrong way increasing the price so often so I'll definitely buy from another seller once they're available again. It's a drop in the bucket to them, but there are a dozen other places to buy cards from anyway.

MrDark

Dec 9, 2013
Oh man, I just realize there are probably going to be thousands of GPUs that Newegg is going to have to deal with being returned if the bottom completely falls out. That just makes me feel warm inside.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Doesn't look like it. Everything is still sold out or in very short supply. I can't believe gamers are now screwed because people are chasing pennies on a dollar.

MrDark

Dec 9, 2013
I'm getting fed up with waiting and am thinking of going Nvidia. AMD doesn't seem to be in a rush to help with gougers. It's like they're taking a page from the Nintendo book of business by alienating your target audience for a quick buck then wondering where everyone went when they want to sell something else.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
I highly doubt AMD is the one doing the gouging. It's more the retailers. But OTOH, that's just the free market at work.

AMD simply can't just go to TSMC (or whoever the fab is) and ask for 10x their order. If the coin market crashes, they'd be left with an overstock of high end video cards. I'd expect them to cautiously increase their production.

So for gamers, it looks like you're stuck with Nvidia for the time being. OTOH, those gamers who purchased a Radeon 7950 struck gold can can now trade them straight up for a nice upgrade (GTX 770).

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I'm getting fed up with waiting and am thinking of going Nvidia. AMD doesn't seem to be in a rush to help with gougers. It's like they're taking a page from the Nintendo book of business by alienating your target audience for a quick buck then wondering where everyone went when they want to sell something else.

This is idiotic to except AMD to start pumping out chips based on people gobbling them up for mining. How do you suppose they are going to get foundry resources on a whim and then suddenly turn it off when the demand dies. Couple that with the production capacity that went to support the XB1 and PS4. Secondly, your comparison to Nintendo is off base and laughable. There is no benefit for pent up demand.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
This is idiotic to except AMD to start pumping out chips based on people gobbling them up for mining. How do you suppose they are going to get foundry resources on a whim and then suddenly turn it off when the demand dies. Couple that with the production capacity that went to support the XB1 and PS4. Secondly, your comparison to Nintendo is off base and laughable. There is no benefit for pent up demand.

They don't have the foundry on the balance sheet anymore. They can contract with anybody to meet their demand in any given time envelope. Would not make sense to NOT meet demand because they are losing sales with no supply! It costs AMD nothing to contract with fabs to make more, just as long as retailers are willing to purchase them and sell them for a profit at a price people are willing to pay for. With the MSRP at 300, and a mark up of 120 dollars on top of that, AMD is missing out on some serious profits. The second worst thing to have , other than stock in inventory not selling, is missed opportunity to sell more. Can you imagine telling your boss you just lost the company millions in dollars of profit? Looks like I will be getting a gtx 770 then.

Last edited:

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001

AMD isn't price gouging anyone. It's the retailers who are. AMD charges Newegg $xxx.00 for each card. If Newegg can then sell it for $150.00 more that's just more money in their pocket.

At any rate, it's all supply and demand. Don't like the price? Blame all the people buying them at that price.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
They don't have the foundry on the balance sheet anymore. They can contract with anybody to meet their demand in any given time envelope. Would not make sense to NOT meet demand because they are losing sales with no supply! It costs AMD nothing to contract with fabs to make more, just as long as retailers are willing to purchase them and sell them for a profit at a price people are willing to pay for. With the MSRP at 300, and a mark up of 120 dollars on top of that, AMD is missing out on some serious profits. The second worst thing to have , other than stock in inventory not selling, is missed opportunity to sell more. Can you imagine telling your boss you just lost the company millions in dollars of profit? Looks like I will be getting a gtx 770 then.

Do you really think TSMC has idle factory space? They would have had to have reserved this production well in advance, likely over a year ago.

Raendan

Oct 14, 2013
Asus R9 280x's are in stock at TigerDirect for ~330. Hopefully this is the start of prices returning to the norm

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Do you really think TSMC has idle factory space? They would have had to have reserved this production well in advance, likely over a year ago.

Likely so. I guess that is one of the pitfalls of selling your fabs.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

You just can't whip up contracted capacity that quick or limited. Wherever they go has to be tooled for their processors as well. This isn't a just-in-time process like stuffing envelopes.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

Except it can take MONTHS to tool up a fab - there is no such thing as just-in-time manufacturing of silicon at the complexity of something like a modern GPU. These things are contracted out many months in advance.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Except it can take MONTHS to tool up a fab - there is no such thing as just-in-time manufacturing of silicon at the complexity of something like a modern GPU. These things are contracted out many months in advance.

Just for argument sake, doesn't AMD engineer cards that are for fabs already tooled and ready for a certain manufacturing process? Would be counter-intuitive for them to do otherwise. Maybe if the life cycle of a manufacturing process is smaller than a year.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Just for argument sake, doesn't AMD engineer cards that are for fabs already tooled and ready for a certain manufacturing process? Would be counter-intuitive for them to do otherwise. Maybe if the life cycle of a manufacturing process is smaller than a year.

They have to wait for the fabs to be able to produce the card, then they purchase a certain a quantity. The fab has to stay busy so I'm sure they try to book out a couple years of work. Hard to run a business when you don't know what you will be producing in 6 months.

mindbomb

May 30, 2013
how long does it take to mine $500 to break even from the initial hardware purchase anyway?

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
how long does it take to mine $500 to break even from the initial hardware purchase anyway?

It really depends. At the current prices/difficulty about 6 months if you mine LTC, less if you mine DOGE, but that one is really difficult to sell and pools are constantly going down and it might crash at any point in the near future... basically you get the idea. My advice don't buy unless you have money to buy the card in the first place - don't count on it ever paying for itself, it's a gamble that might not pay off.