280x Prices up 20%?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Maybe interference with your life, like having to reboot them when they crash or power goes out or switching from gaming to mining, or being careful to not turn on microwaves, hair dryers on High, etc. on the same circuit as a rig, something harder to do if you have an S.O. and/or kids.

jimhsu

Mar 22, 2009
I wonder if there is a demand for used 7950's and what that price is... I'm going to look into it. I got the card for ~$200 a month ago - I wouldn't mind selling it and just getting whatever the NVIDIA equivalent is and pocket the rest.

Does anyone know if there would be a best place to post it for sale ... "litecoin miners hardware for sale.com " ?

Yea, the pricing is so wacked out right now that I'll be getting an upgrade from a 7950 to a 780 (with newegg's current deal) for the price of a decent dinner. In fact I can't remember any other video card purchase that I actually made money on (mining profits excluded).

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Well 6 280x's spread across two mining rigs can make a substantial income at current prices. ~$1200 a month after energy costs when factoring 1800watts at 10-15cents per kwh. Easy to see why there is demand for the card. Beyond that there's the constant threat of litecoin finding a way to get to $100.

I keep thinking the floor has to fall out, but thought the same thing with bit coins… so i'm not sure when I'll get to grab a 280x to toss in one of my rigs, the MSi version looks best.

Just can't pull myself towards nVidia yet because I don't view the run up in prices as making nVidia cards more attractive in terms of price/performance I just view it as making everything in the $300+ market as lousy price/performance.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Well 6 280x's spread across two mining rigs can make a substantial income at current prices. ~$1200 a month after energy costs when factoring 1800watts at 10-15cents per kwh. Easy to see why there is demand for the card. Beyond that there's the constant threat of litecoin finding a way to get to $100.

I keep thinking the floor has to fall out, but thought the same thing with bit coins… so i'm not sure when I'll get to grab a 280x to toss in one of my rigs, the MSi version looks best.

Just can't pull myself towards nVidia yet because I don't view the run up in prices as making nVidia cards more attractive in terms of price/performance I just view it as making everything in the $300+ market as lousy price/performance.

I agree with this. Right now neither of them is a good value for gamers.

jimhsu

Mar 22, 2009

But difficulty has been increasing by over 100% a month recently. So $1200 the first month, $600 the 2nd (and that's assuming that prices remain at these currently lofty levels). Very timing sensitive. And good luck trying to dump your now chronically oversupplied GPU in a slow (post-Christmas) market.

Not disparaging mining though, but consider reality here.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
But difficulty has been increasing by over 100% a month recently. So $1200 the first month, $600 the 2nd (and that's assuming that prices remain at these currently lofty levels). Very timing sensitive. And good luck trying to dump your now chronically oversupplied GPU in a slow (post-Christmas) market.

Not disparaging mining though, but consider reality here.

People have been saying this same thing for years now. I say if someone's interested, jump in. It's not like you need to put up your life savings. A couple of grand and you could make heaps. If not, how much are you really going to lose dumping them?

Kosmic1

Dec 15, 2013
Meh, the whole situation sucks, imo... I'd like to do some 'casual mining' but the GPU prices are nuts.

Besides, after btc and ltc, there will be many other CCs that will need to be mined. Like it or not (and I don't) we're not going to run out of cryptos any time soon...

jimhsu

Mar 22, 2009
People have been saying this same thing for years now. I say if someone's interested, jump in. It's not like you need to put up your life savings. A couple of grand and you could make heaps. If not, how much are you really going to lose dumping them?

In that case, you might just as well buy the coins. (This has been discussed ad infinitum on another thread, so I won't go there). It's the people that are sinking in mining rigs that cost the same as a car, without regarding difficulty that I'm worried about.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
In that case, you might just as well buy the coins. (This has been discussed ad infinitum on another thread, so I won't go there). It's the people that are sinking in mining rigs that cost the same as a car, without regarding difficulty that I'm worried about.

Apples and oranges. You can't play games with your BTC/LTC. Why spend money on a card(s) that will net you zero return if you can have cards that game and make you money?

Besides, you said consider reality, and the reality is we've heard the same arguments against mining you put in the post I quoted for years now, and it just hasn't worked out that way. The reality is, going by past and current trends, we have no reason to believe mining isn't going to be profitable for the foreseeable future.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Some people also find mining to be fun, so that is a factor if people are choosing AMD cards over Nvidia cards.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Some people also find mining to be fun, so that is a factor if people are choosing AMD cards over Nvidia cards.

Well they are choosing AMD over Nvidia because they are just churning out more hashes.

If Nvidia would do the same im sure they would be selling out also.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Looking at a GTX770 OC for $280 after tax/discount. Can't seem to pull the trigger as a stock 280x is supposed to be better in Battlefield...

Not like the 770 doesn't perform well though. It doesn't have any noticeable issues in BF4 compared to the 280X after the last few driver updates/patches. The 280X is priced way above it's value atm unless you are a litecoin miner.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Not like the 770 doesn't perform well though. It doesn't have any noticeable issues in BF4 compared to the 280X after the last few driver updates/patches. The 280X is priced way above it's value atm unless you are a litecoin miner.

What's the chances of the 770 lasting me a few years? I've had my 5870 for about 4 years now, still runs pretty good on medium settings for new games.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010

This is where I slip in. I don't want to setup, nor can I, a dedicated mining room. Just want to leverage a GPU purchase with mining.

Best way I see is to have a mobo with support for 2 GPU's and mine on one 24/7 and use the other for gaming mining split.

Mining is all about consistency. Using one card for mining gaming,.. granted if you like to game and game a lot, isn't going to net much. But going two cards, identical, lets you mine 24/7 on one and then run dual cards at anytime as well if mining doesn't pan out.

280x's are just absurd right now, nearly impossible to find even with the ridiculous pricing.

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
What's the chances of the 770 lasting me a few years? I've had my 5870 for about 4 years now, still runs pretty good on medium settings for new games.

Nobody knows to be honest. 4GB of VRAM seems pretty legit to me though. Should be good for at least 3-4 years, depending on your settings.

jimhsu

Mar 22, 2009
This is where I slip in. I don't want to setup, nor can I, a dedicated mining room. Just want to leverage a GPU purchase with mining.

Best way I see is to have a mobo with support for 2 GPU's and mine on one 24/7 and use the other for gaming mining split.

Mining is all about consistency. Using one card for mining gaming,.. granted if you like to game and game a lot, isn't going to net much. But going two cards, identical, lets you mine 24/7 on one and then run dual cards at anytime as well if mining doesn't pan out.

280x's are just absurd right now, nearly impossible to find even with the ridiculous pricing.

Here's the thing though: both AMD and Nvidia cards can game as well as mine. Prices there right now (for both companies) are dictated by mining performance, not gaming performance. It's just your personal assessment of which is more important to you, right now as well as in the lifetime of the card.

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
Here's the thing though: both AMD and Nvidia cards can game as well as mine. Prices there right now (for both companies) are dictated by mining performance, not gaming performance. It's just your personal assessment of which is more important to you, right now as well as in the lifetime of the card.

Yes, but AMD cards mine about 2 times more efficiently than nvidia cards :\

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Maybe interference with your life, like having to reboot them when they crash or power goes out or switching from gaming to mining, or being careful to not turn on microwaves, hair dryers on High, etc. on the same circuit as a rig, something harder to do if you have an S.O. and/or kids.

I'm sorry but those reasons are a bit iffy to say they interfere with your life. I hope this doesn't become the new performance metric lol. Interference per dollar? :D

If they're crashing you should make sure they are stable in the first place. I've been mining 24/7 for about 2 years now and the only time I've had crashes is when I am first finding stable settings.

Having the miner start at boot means even after a power outage you don't have to do anything, the miners start and you are good to go. Plus there are programs like CGWatcher which take care of that for you.

Would you have a mining computer in a kitchen and/or washroom? Probably not so you don't have to worry about microwaves/hair dryers/etc.

If it's interfering (negatively) with your life, you're doing it wrong. The only place where you should notice a difference is your power bill and maybe whatever room you have it in is a bit warmer.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Balla was the one claiming interference, I'm just guessing what he might have been thinking based on my experiences, one of which was switching from gaming to mining and such which you ignored. I've had video card fans bust, an entire video card burn out presumably from mining, and situations where guests or fam overloaded a circuit accidentally and it's an older home with fewer, shared electrical circuits. Mining also affects smoothness of desktop usage if you try to squeeze every last hash out, so that might be another thing Balla was thinking. You sound like a guy without an S.O. or guests, with a newer home. Good for you, have a cookie? I guess we'll never know what Balla meant exactly by "interference," because he doesn't seem interested in coming back to this thread.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Balla was the one claiming interference, I'm just guessing what he might have been thinking based on my experiences, one of which was switching from gaming to mining and such which you ignored.

If you set things up properly, switching from gaming to mining is actually very easy. I set up a task schedule where when I log into my computer, my miner on the main card stops and/or switches to a lower intensity so that everything is usable. You can set it up to kill all miners when logging in as well. Then when I log out, the computer restarts the miner and/or switches to a higher intensity.

I maintain if it's really interfering with your life, you're not doing it properly. Granted in some home situations it is not feasible. Luckily for me it's not a problem and I can't see it being a problem for the majority of people I know either. Mining and day trading is not my job so I can't have it affect my career, and I have found that it doesn't. I actually spend less and less time at my computer lately because I have other things going on, it's been more of a set and forget type thing for me. I do game once in a while though so I have a gaming computer. And why spend that money on a gaming computer and have it sit idle 90% of the time?

I'd also like to know what Balla meant by interference.

Last edited:

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Nobody knows to be honest. 4GB of VRAM seems pretty legit to me though. Should be good for at least 3-4 years, depending on your settings.

Price difference between 4gb and 2gb is pretty big. $350 to $280. That's probably the only thing holding me back.

Wish the 280x would come back down to earth :(

May 13, 2009
Was messing around on the computer and ran across newegg having stock of the msi 280x for $300. Used masterpass promo and snagged it for $270.:D