280x Prices up 20%?

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Newegg is listing the 280x's, all of them, at $360+.

How temporary permanent do you think this will be? More to do with virtual currency media attention or gamer demand or production issues?

I can't recall the last time I saw a price jump this big after launch at a major e/retailer outlet.

I really missed out on getting a vid card over thanksgiving weekend. Only decent deal that I see now are on used 670 Gtx that are popping up for $200 or new 270x's.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Newegg is listing the 280x's, all of them, at $360+.

How temporary permanent do you think this will be? More to do with virtual currency media attention or gamer demand or production issues?

I can't recall the last time I saw a price jump this big after launch at a major e/retailer outlet.

I really missed out on getting a vid card over thanksgiving weekend. Only decent deal that I see now are on used 670 Gtx that are popping up for $200 or new 270x's.

Forget AMD/ATi for mid-high end gaming needs for the near future.

Litecoin miners drive the prices.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
The price jump is purely driven by LTC's spike in price in the last few weeks. Hopefully supply will catch up. I'd like to buy another 16 MSI R9 280x's for my mining farm but can't find them anywhere...

nardz84

Jul 11, 2008
Man I feel lucky now, I gave up on waiting for the custom 290s and snagged an Asus 280x when it appeared today, with the discount code $308 shipped.

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
Man I feel lucky now, I gave up on waiting for the custom 290s and snagged an Asus 280x when it appeared today, with the discount code $308 shipped.

That's a pretty great deal.

In other news, the 280x prices aren't nearly as bad as newegg's 7950/7970 prices...7950 $400+ and 7970 (xfx...) $500... wtf

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
The price jump is purely driven by LTC's spike in price in the last few weeks. Hopefully supply will catch up. I'd like to buy another 16 MSI R9 280x's for my mining farm but can't find them anywhere...
Out of curiosity, does LTC have difficulty shifts like BTC? I.E. will a flood of new miners cause the difficulty to spike and end this absurd demand for cards?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Out of curiosity, does LTC have difficulty shifts like BTC? I.E. will a flood of new miners cause the difficulty to spike and end this absurd demand for cards?

Diff is already spiking, network hasing power went up almost 100% in like the last week or two.

LTC is just like BTC, except it has quicker conformations and it is resistant to ASICs.

Feb 19, 2009
Difficulty isnt gonna rise too fast from now since its limited by the number of higher end Radeons available.. and they are all out or near out of stock everywhere.

I have NEVER seen this kind of shenanigans before: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php...3_1559&zenid=757904c4cc200560956e311ed3803511
The biggest pc etailer here is out of stock.. no more 7950, 7970s, and now 280X all out as well as R290/X in very low availability. And I know from these guys, they received a LOT of cards but demand is nuts.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

From what I understand, litecoins are converted to bitcoins before cashing out so bitcoin pricing has a direct effect on litecoin viability. If bitcoin goes bust, so do litecoins. Speaking of which, bitcoins took a nosedive last night after China's government stated that bitcoins aren't a valid currency...

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
You can trade LTC for cash directly without going through BTC.

That said the two are pretty closely tied.

BTC goes through peaks and valleys, no real cause for alarm it will probably exceed its previous high on the next run.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Yeah, it's getting tougher to mine LTC all the time. At some point, people will start building ASIC's to mine these coins, but it's going to cost more to build a Litecoin ASIC than a Bitcoin ASIC due to the increased memory requirements for mining Litecoin. That said, people are already working on it.

I really doubt that this video card shortage is just caused by new Litecoin miners. Judging from the increased hash rates, the Litecoin price increase probably caused people to buy about 100,000 new Radeon video cards for mining, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of PC gamers who wanted a new video card for Christmas or to play Battlefield 4.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I think corporate is coming in and buying up the high end AMD GPU stock to do shenanigans with. Manipulate something, its what they do.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
As others have chimed in, difficulty is tied to how many blocks are being found. If there are too many being found (because of new miners) difficulty rises.

I'm kinda hoping LTC takes a dive. I have already made my initial investment back. I'd love to see all the "hobbyist" miners who just joined the ranks with 1 or 2 GPU's give up because LTC is back below $5 and it isn't worth their time/electricity costs/heat to continue. That would drive the difficulty back down and I could go back to my 12 coins a day again.

I really doubt that this video card shortage is just caused by new Litecoin miners. Judging from the increased hash rates, the Litecoin price increase probably caused people to buy about 100,000 new Radeon video cards for mining, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of PC gamers who wanted a new video card for Christmas or to play Battlefield 4.

I don't know about millions of PC gamers purchasing up video cards. Hell, Sony has said that 2.1 million gamers bought their PS34s as of Dec. 1. I would imagine that the PC gamer crowd is just a fraction of the console crowd.

I really think it is the LTC market now driving the demand. The run-up in prices and low availability just happened two weeks ago when the price of LTC skyrocketed.

Feb 19, 2009
I think corporate is coming in and buying up the high end AMD GPU stock to do shenanigans with. Manipulate something, its what they do.

Well theres dudes who setup water cool shipping containers full of mining hardware.. would not shock me at all that they snap up all the high end radeons for such a farm. Heck, if AIBs were greedy they WOULD NOT be selling radeons at all and use it to mine. More returns in the medium and massive in the long term.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
I bought a Ref Gibabyte R9 290X from Newegg.Ca about a month ago for $549. A few days ago I was considering buying another from Newegg.Ca for a Ref ASUS R9 290X for $569 with Mining in mind - To day there is not a 290 or 290X to be had in Canada - All out of Stock or on Back Order and prices indicate over $600 for a 290X.

Kinda reminds me of what happened with Samsung MV-3V4G3D-US_DDR3 2 x's 4 Green modules for $40 that could easily run at 1866 mhz 9-9-9-24 1T @ 1.34v - Simply the Best DDR3 ever and it quickly was out of stock and no longer available. I would guess the Military and Gov't agencies made a deal with Samsung.

Crypto Mining could destroy AMD's Mantle and Gaming Entrepreneurs if the General Public can not get their hands on a R9 290/X within the released price range promised by AMD.

Guess it all amounts to AMD's priority who gets their share - Either way AMD is sure not going to loose.

You have to wonder about Market Cornering.

Last edited:

broken_pixel

Oct 26, 2013
Im thinking of selling my two XFX 290x GPUs I got from newegg four days before the price jump. The 290x, 7950s and 7970Ls I have seen on ebay are going for mad prices.

I sold six 7950s before the bitcoin jump to the Moon. Now the 7950s are selling for 400 plus, I got about 1k for six after fees.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Someone mentioned in another forum that newegg puts the prices higher when stuff is out of stock! Does that mean it comes back to normal price when it gets back in stock?

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
AMD needs more control over what people can charge for their cards. They set the price at $299. Hard to play the price/performance game when etailers and retailers can jack the prices up as they see fit. It goes against what AMD is trying to promote. That is, unless AMD sees more value in their cards now so have decided to raise prices.

This goes for all hardware though from manufacturers. It is not uncommon for companies in general to set prices and then penalize other retailers for charging more/less for their products.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Someone mentioned in another forum that newegg puts the prices higher when stuff is out of stock! Does that mean it comes back to normal price when it gets back in stock?

Newegg pricing adjusts with demand. The prices won't go down until demand does. If anything they will likely go up.

AMD needs more control over what people can charge for their cards. They set the price at $299. Hard to play the price/performance game when etailers and retailers can jack the prices up as they see fit. It goes against what AMD is trying to promote. That is, unless AMD sees more value in their cards now so have decided to raise prices.

Free market. AMD can't dictate to someone like Newegg what they sell their product for. AMD likely has contract pricing to the AIB's. The AIB's will have a price list to the suppliers. There are typically volume discounts, promotions, etc. that are offered for limited periods. The AIB's could just let them run out and not renew them. Rebates, game bundles, extended credit terms, volume discounts are all ways that reduce the costs to the suppliers that could go away during periods of high demand like we are having now.

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008

This goes for all hardware though from manufacturers. It is not uncommon for companies in general to set prices and then penalize other retailers for charging more/less for their products.

As long as people aren't buying at those prices, AMD don't need to do anything. The market will correct itself. Blame the demand.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I wonder if I should sell my 7950 or if I'm better off continuing to mine with it. The prices on them are insane but I guess they make a lot of money.