Discussion 2024 USA Election Thread: Biden and Dems might have problems in 2024 swing states - The Gaza Issue

Page 87 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
From AP News:

The Hamas militant group says it has accepted an Egyptian-Qatari cease-fire proposal to halt the seven-month war with Israel. It issued a statement Monday saying its supreme leader, Ismail Haniyeh, had delivered the news in a phone call with Qatar’s prime minister and Egypt’s intelligence minister.

There was no immediate comment from Israel.

I'd love for this conflict to be in the rear view mirror come November..

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
MAGA_Nuts are ramping up in Clearwater, FL. I saw this display of idiocy in front of the Clearwater courthouse the other day. You can’t tell it from the pic but there’s a confederate flag in that bucket of flags. Can’t wait for the MAGA boat parade.

IMG_9430.jpeg

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
You've never tripped or misstepped before? Oh wait, mabye you just never had people their to help you back up.. Hell, I had such things happen since my early teens, as my ankle would just buckle out of the blue. funny thing is, I broke it in my 20's and it never happened again. Point is, a picture of someone falling, is no indication of anything but a person falling..

• Haha
Reactions: Shervan360

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It’s an opinion piece written by a Fox News/Newsmax contributor. Who said Obama shouldn’t run for a second term because he was too divisive, that Trump shouldn’t have been impeached for the coup attempt, etc.

Man, that sure seems like a credible source to me!

I had clicked the article and started reading. It was about this time that I got suspicious...
"And, as inflation proves stubborn, wars in Europe and the Middle East show no sign of slowing down, American college campuses are swarmed with protests against Israel and the southern border remains open, Biden has done little to change people’s perceptions."

Reactions: hal2kilo

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I would not feel so bad having to vote for Biden so long as he becomes a DINO.
I'm good with that. On the economic front, he's slowly rolling back Clinton era conservative policies. If that puts him at odds with the Democratic Leadership Council Democrats, that's fine.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I had clicked the article and started reading. It was about this time that I got suspicious...
"And, as inflation proves stubborn, wars in Europe and the Middle East show no sign of slowing down, American college campuses are swarmed with protests against Israel and the southern border remains open, Biden has done little to change people’s perceptions."
It's so open we keep catching and removing record numbers of people.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Is Axelrod's opinion liberal enough for you all?

Absolutely zero wind in Biden's sail right now

Zero wind you say?

Biden can actually point to large, active infrastructure projects and say "I did that".

Reactions: gothuevos

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Is Axelrod's opinion liberal enough for you all?

Absolutely zero wind in Biden's sail right now

In case you didn’t read the article Axelrod makes no statements as to how likely Biden is to win. Just another excuse to overflow your diaper.

Pretty funny though how once you realized the sage advice in the op Ed came from a far right guy with a history of making similar (and ultimately wrong) predictions and recommendations you didn’t rethink your position, you just pretended it didn’t happen.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
In case you didn’t read the article Axelrod makes no statements as to how likely Biden is to win. Just another excuse to overflow your diaper.

Pretty funny though how once you realized the sage advice in the op Ed came from a far right guy with a history of making similar (and ultimately wrong) predictions and recommendations you didn’t rethink your position, you just pretended it didn’t happen.

So basically people on both sides think he's going to lose, got it.

APU_Fusion

Dec 16, 2013
So basically people on both sides think he's going to lose, got it.
Yes oh MAGAT lover. Your deep love Trump will win in landslide of shit in your diaper and your every desire will be fulfilled. Make sure to get the good orange cheese with your wine. Why even post? You want Trump so bad and it is obvious,

• Haha
Reactions: Indus

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Zero wind you say?

Biden can actually point to large, active infrastructure projects and say "I did that".
Although I generally don't agree with @gothuevos on many things, I don't think he's all that wrong on this one.

You're right that the Biden administration actually has a lot of wins under its belt, but the problem is that the electorate doesn't see it that way. Even the ever so slight post SOTU bump seems to have faded away. We're 6 months from the election, so there's still time. Still I would ask you when does the electorate come around and give Joe Biden some credit where it's due? Biden loses if his job approval rating stays pegged at 40% come November.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Although I generally don't agree with @gothuevos on many things, I don't think he's all that wrong on this one.

You're right that the Biden administration actually has a lot of wins under its belt, but the problem is that the electorate doesn't see it that way. Even the ever so slight post SOTU bump seems to have faded away. We're 6 months from the election, so there's still time. Still I would ask you when does the electorate come around and give Joe Biden some credit where it's due? Biden loses if his job approval rating stays pegged at 40% come November.
The one thing some people don't realize is that reality doesn't matter so much in politics as much as perception.

Reactions: Dave_5k

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Damn, there are so many reasons why I wish I could just hibernate for the next 6 months.

Can't bear this constant uncertainty about the US election (I'm not saying there's a high chance that Biden will lose, but it's quite bad enough that it's even a significant possibility that Trump could be back), plus have to wait for Sunak to deign to grant us an election here (the Tories will almost certainly lose, don't know if any party has ever been so far behind in the polls for such a sustained period of time, but goddam, what fresh damage will they inflect before then? And furthermore it's not at all clear what a Starmer government can and will do, given both the deep hole the country is in - currently lowest growth rates in the G7 while Brexit and its effects is still an insoluble conundrum - and Starmer's refusal to say what he actually believes in or plans to do).

There's also the independent question of whether Trump will end up in prison. Really want to know how that's going to turn out (and it seems like a separate issue of whether he'll be elected, as any combination of the different outcomes seems possible)

Plus there's waiting for the Ukraine war to end (while hoping it doesn't escalate into something much worse) plus waiting to see what fresh disasters climate-change unleashes (granted, that one's a longer timescale, but every year seems to bring fresh bad news on that front).

I can't remember any time in my life when time has felt like it's passing so slowly (there's also a long list of personal things going on that I wish I could just get over with).

This certainly feels like the longest parliamentary term I've ever known.

Last edited:

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999

But is he really that unpopular? Like partisan politics but generally you still get 15-20% support from the other side. This band of marry MAGAtards is single digit support for Biden. It’s horribly skewing his approval rating.

Reactions: Zorba and nakedfrog

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
The one thing some people don't realize is that reality doesn't matter so much in politics as much as perception.

My Indian neighbor says he likes Biden but his family will be voting Trump because they hate inflation.

I said sure Trump will just wave a wand and it'll be gone.. he said nope but he is never voting democrat as they are racist and Trump at least loves Modi.

I asked how does that make our life better.. he said it doesn't but it makes him feel better.

Rolled my eyes but what can I do? At least it's New York.

P.S. Apparently Kamala being the daughter of a black guy is a bridge too far for some/ most Indian first gen people. I've heard a few snide comments about her.. you'd think they'd love her but nope.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
My Indian neighbor says he likes Biden but his family will be voting Trump because they hate inflation.

I said sure Trump will just wave a wand and it'll be gone.. he said nope but he is never voting democrat as they are racist and Trump at least loves Modi.

I asked how does that make our life better.. he said it doesn't but it makes him feel better.

Rolled my eyes but what can I do? At least it's New York.

P.S. Apparently Kamala being the daughter of a black guy is a bridge too far for some/ most Indian first gen people. I've heard a few snide comments about her.. you'd think they'd love her but nope.
People are so fucking stupid it is painful.