2023 State of the Union - predictions & discussion

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Didn't see a thread on this--predictions?

1. Biden uses the world "balloon" at least 3 times in his speech
2. At least one GOP house member yells at Biden during his speech
3. Biden makes an appeal to both sides of Congress for unity on key issues during this term--and is ignored by both parties
4. Kevin McCarthy appears angry, bothered...and feckless
5. Trump's SOTU response gets more media coverage than the official GOP response
6. At least one person who was at the Capitol on J6 is invited by a MAGA House member as a "featured guest" to observe in the upper gallery
7. Biden fails to move the needle on making the case for his re-election
8. McCarthy tries to rip up his paper copy afterwards and gets a papercut
9. Nobody watches--but conservatives will act super-triggered for the rest of the week

• Haha
Reactions: dank69 and pcgeek11

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
The metal detectors got removed. But secret service has put them back up. Let’s hope some idiots attempt to bring a gun in. They won’t be asked to leave it back in their office. They will get detained.

Also Sarah Huckabee Sanders doing the Republican rebuttal speech. Wonder how many lies she’ll say?

Reactions: hal2kilo

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Should be mostly about the economy.

Also, doing a drinking game. Every "gaffee" requires a shot. Bonus shot if he cant find the exit off the stage. I expect to be drunk.

edit: full transparency: this is a tradition with a friend of mine. Did it with all of Trump's SOTUA's., and Obama's.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Didn't see a thread on this--predictions?

1. Biden uses the world "balloon" at least 3 times in his speech
2. At least one GOP house member yells at Biden during his speech
3. Biden makes an appeal to both sides of Congress for unity on key issues during this term--and is ignored by both parties
4. Kevin McCarthy appears angry, bothered...and feckless
5. Trump's SOTU response gets more media coverage than the official GOP response
6. At least one person who was at the Capitol on J6 is invited by a MAGA House member as a "featured guest" to observe in the upper gallery
7. Biden fails to move the needle on making the case for his re-election
8. McCarthy tries to rip up his paper copy afterwards and gets a papercut
9. Nobody watches--but conservatives will act super-triggered for the rest of the week
For the most part nobody cares about the state of the union - I would be fine if we just got rid of the speech altogether.

That being said yes I think Republicans heckling the president during it is now basically an institutional norm.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Something like #2 will definitely be happening. Maybe not yelling, but booing or similar.

Also, guessing that Kyle Rittenhouse will be someone's guest. Along with at least 1 person from the J6 insurrection (congressional participants not included).

There will also be performative "I'm not showing up as he's not the legitimate president" members. Gosar, or some other idiot like that.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I wish Biden would just start off with saying it's clear to us now that the Republican party is mostly a bunch of lying fascists and then proceed to break down how.

But the Democrats are going to be diplomatic and tiptoe around everything as usual

Unfortunately there's nothing redeemable about their Republican party anymore so I don't know who they are reaching out to cuz there is nobody home.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I wish Biden would just start off with saying it's clear to us now that the Republican party is mostly a bunch of lying fascists and then proceed to break down how.

But the Democrats are going to be diplomatic and tiptoe around everything as usual

Unfortunately there's nothing redeemable about their Republican party anymore so I don't know who they are reaching out to cuz there is nobody home.
I feel that you still don't understand exactly how Biden won. In large part it was by improving his margins among independents and moderate Republicans. Giving a speech like you say here would alienate them so obviously he's not going to do that.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Republicans started the open display of disrespect and I expect it to continue. Obama should have vocally shut that down when it happened.

I invite people to record their own lie counter. Sarah Manatee Sanders vs Joe Biden. I'm going to try counting.

Balloon mentioned at least once.

Calls on passing the George Floyd policing act.

Calls out Republicans for threating to crash the economy by holding debt ceiling increase hostage.

Biden will tout his accomplishments which there are many.

Infrastructure
Ukraine support
Keeping NATO together
Job creation
Chips Act

Something Joe should do. Call out any politicians that supports white nationalist or anti-Semetic groups. Name some of the groups. The media can later make the associations. There are a long list of Republicans supporting these groups/individuals including.

Trump
MTG
Lauren Bobert
Paul Gosar
Louie Gohmert

These are the just ones I remember

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I feel that you still don't understand exactly how Biden won. In large part it was by improving his margins among independents and moderate Republicans. Giving a speech like you say here would alienate them so obviously he's not going to do that.
Right. But that was over 2 years ago and I think you know that 2 years is an eternity in politics.

I don't literally want Biden to literally use the words fascist liars but he's got to be more strong with better messaging. If the Democrats had better messaging they would have had the house right now.

Reactions: iRONic

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I'm starting to think something unprecedentedly polarizing takes place tonight. Don't know what, just a hunch.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Republicans started the open display of disrespect and I expect it to continue. Obama should have vocally shut that down when it happened.

I invite people to record their own lie counter. Sarah Manatee Sanders vs Joe Biden. I'm going to try counting.

Balloon mentioned at least once.

Calls on passing the George Floyd policing act.

Calls out Republicans for threating to crash the economy by holding debt ceiling increase hostage.

Biden will tout his accomplishments which there are many.

Infrastructure
Ukraine support
Keeping NATO together
Job creation
Chips Act

Something Joe should do. Call out any politicians that supports white nationalist or anti-Semetic groups. Name some of the groups. The media can later make the associations. There are a long list of Republicans supporting these groups/individuals including.

Trump
MTG
Lauren Bobert
Paul Gosar
Louie Gohmert

These are the just ones I remember
I wonder if he'll mention lost jobs in March 2020 was 20 million, and as the economy recovered, jobs were recovered. Hardly creation. Trump added 12.5 million jobs in 9 months (not recovered jobs) but I doubt he'll mention that.

I wonder if he'll repeat the lie inflation was out of control when he took office (annual inflation was 1.4 percent)?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I wonder if he'll mention lost jobs in March 2020 was 20 million, and as the economy recovered, jobs were recovered. Hardly creation. Trump added 12.5 million jobs in 9 months (not recovered jobs) but I doubt he'll mention that.

I wonder if he'll repeat the lie inflation was out of control when he took office (annual inflation was 1.4 percent)?
What Joe Biden should do is tell the dumb dumbs that inflation and gas prices went up all over the world and he's not responsible for that and that we're in a global economy and to tell the fucking shit Republicans to stop lying about everything like that.

Reactions: Lanyap and hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Uhmmm, your numbers are way, way wrong.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
McCarthy, sitting behind Biden, will touch his nose in an ambiguous manner leading to two weeks of memes and angry arguments.

The Supremes will join the other Republicans in heckling Biden. Alito will taunt Biden with, "All your abortion are belong to us!"

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I would love to know what these magical months were where Trump added on average 1.3 MILLION jobs per month and where these were new and not recovered jobs. This is fantasy land nonsense.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
What Joe Biden should do is tell the dumb dumbs that inflation and gas prices went up all over the world and he's not responsible for that and that we're in a global economy and to tell the fucking shit Republicans to stop lying about everything like that.
Agree.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I would love to know what these magical months were where Trump added on average 1.3 MILLION jobs per month and where these were new and not recovered jobs. This is fantasy land nonsense.

Heres some: Trump's Numbers January 2020 Update - FactCheck.org

Heres another: Trump takes a victory lap following better-than-expected jobs report (cnbc.com)
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, May payrolls grew by 2.5 million, a striking reversal after months of economic collapse caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Heres another: Fact Sheet - President Donald J. Trump Has Delivered Record Breaking Results For The American People In His First Three Years In Office | The American Presidency Project (ucsb.edu)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So in other words nowhere near what you claimed. Trump’s job growth was fine, although slower than under Obama, but by your own numbers he added ~6.6 million new jobs over three years, not twelve million in nine months so I guess my question is why Biden would mention made up numbers?

And of course if you take into account his whole presidency Trump oversaw a net loss in jobs, a feat that has not happened since Herbert Hoover.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
So in other words nowhere near what you claimed. Trump’s job growth was fine, although slower than under Obama, but by your own numbers he added ~6.6 million new jobs over three years, not twelve million in nine months so I guess my question is why Biden would mention made up numbers?

And of course if you take into account his whole presidency Trump oversaw a net loss in jobs, a feat that has not happened since Herbert Hoover.
How about some context, man? COVID ring a bell?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How about some context, man? COVID ring a bell?
It does! It doesn’t change the fact that your numbers were wildly wrong yet you complained that Biden wouldn’t mention them.

Trump’s job record before the pandemic was fine, if not as good as Obama. Your 12 million number was just totally made up though. Where did you get it from?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Wait, you’re saying jobs added by Biden in 2021 are ‘recovered, not new jobs’ but you think jobs added in the middle of 2020 weren’t?

Oh come on man, there’s no way you believe that nonsense.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Wait, you’re saying jobs added by Biden in 2021 are ‘recovered, not new jobs’ but you think jobs added in the middle of 2020 weren’t?

Oh come on man, there’s no way you believe that nonsense.
Dont put words in my mouth. I didnt say that.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Dont put words in my mouth. I didnt say that.
You said this. (Bolding mine)

Can you explain the bolded?

• Wow
Reactions: pcgeek11