2021 Backlog Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
honest answer, i don't know.

Maybe because i've only had PS1 and PS2 and have not even considered another controller.
Also, i'm somehow thinking that i *might* at some point buy another Playstation.

... and, i was kinda hoping that Sony had finally put out a controller that isn't horrible. ugh .. what i mean is that when it comes to horribleness, the XBox controller is more horrible, but even the PS3 controllers were still pretty darn horrible. Not in comfort, in accuracy.

I know that at some point in the past, there were some vaguely decent aftermarket XBox controllers, because eSports n'all that, but do not know which ones they are.

In case you do not know ..
WipeOut is, to me, possibly the greatest videogame ever made. Even back in the 90s, when the first Dualshock 2 came out, the one with the "knobs" on it (the twin analog sticks), we would still only use the Arrow buttons, because in WipeOut the controls are - and have to be - SUPER sensitive. A few milliseconds off, and you're in the side of the track. So, no analog stick thingies for me. And right now i'm really hoping that the PS5 controllers are not as suck as they used to be.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
January - Hades + Darksiders
February - Darksiders 2
March - Dawn of War Soulstorm + Unification Mod
April - Warhammer 2 Total War, Company of Heroes 2, Trine 4 (not going to play Trine 3 since it's just a flaming pile of garbage)

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I need to finish Half-Life 2, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and Baldurs Gate 2. Seriously, Never finished.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Halo CE Anniversary
Halo 2 Anniversary
Halo 3
Homeworld 1 Remaster
Halo 3: ODST
Ruiner
Halo: Reach

Adding Halo: Reach to the list for this year. Now onto Halo 4.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Halo CE Anniversary
Halo 2 Anniversary
Halo 3
Homeworld 1 Remaster
Ruiner

Adding Halo: Reach to the list for this year. Now onto Halo 4.
For some reason, I got Halo 2 on the pc, and hated it. I never gave it another shot, but It sounds like you are a fan.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
For some reason, I got Halo 2 on the pc, and hated it. I never gave it another shot, but It sounds like you are a fan.

I'm going through the Halo franchise first time on PC. The MCC remaster for Halo 2 look and plays great, my favorite campaign story wise as well.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I didn't like how the new graphics weren't accurate to the geometry of the level, but other than that, it looked great and was incredibly fun to play. I always wanted the original campaigns on PC, though I don't really like how they handled the skull system. I remember having separate saves for all the different skulls, that way if I wanted to change the game (GBP), I had to work for it. Now you can just load up whatever skulls you want to activate.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'm going through the Halo franchise first time on PC. The MCC remaster for Halo 2 look and plays great, my favorite campaign story wise as well.
You must let me know what you think. If you like it on pc, maybe I'll give it another try.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Have been plugging away at Shadowrun: Dragonfall (Directors Cut) for a couple weeks here.

Solid, fun, low-fi indie turn based iso-RPG. Nothing to write home about from a gameplay perspective but that's not a bad thing.

However...

God what a setting, this is incredible! This is the series that should get a full blown Witcher 3/Cyberpunk/Baldur's Gate 3 treatment!

It's faintly reminiscent of something like a cyberpunk Arcanum, and it's fun how it plays with the intersection between the old world of magic and elves and dwarves with guns and cybernetics and hacking in a futuristic setting.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I finally finished Grim Dawn. No, really, I uninstalled it.

460 hours. 89% of the achievements. Tons of fun.

Now I'm playing Transistor.

Then Witcher III.

Then Thief Gold.

Well, that's the plan anyway.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

460 hours. 89% of the achievements. Tons of fun.

Now I'm playing Transistor.

Then Witcher III.

Then Thief Gold.

Well, that's the plan anyway.
transistor is good. shorter than i was expecting, though i think it's one you can play through multiple times. definitely a nice little gem.

TW3 needs no introduction (and the xpacs/DLC are apparently excellent too)

i got nothin for thief.

I started Wasteland 2 (Director's Cut). I had no knowledge of the game/lore beforehand. Pretty enjoyable so far. Takes a little getting into story-wise, and I'm glad the game gives noobs a helping hand in the beginning. It really eases the learning curve for what could otherwise be a very unforgiving game.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
How does one finish Grim Dawn? I'm roughly 1700 hours in and I just reinstalled it for some reason.

Also, it's apparently been some time since I last played because all the areas I had tagged in a post from four years ago about potential hidden areas (basically areas that had hidden walls that looked like they went somewhere, but didn't) all contain hidden areas now. There's also some new stuff added and by my count, around 200 or so new legendary items have been added since I last played.

I guess I also started Binding of Isaac Repentance when it released at the end of March, but I see that as finished just when I've seen all the new content and unlocked all the new stuff. I thought it wouldn't take very long, but holy hell Edmund ramped the difficulty back up with this last DLC.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I started Wasteland 2 (Director's Cut). I had no knowledge of the game/lore beforehand. Pretty enjoyable so far. Takes a little getting into story-wise, and I'm glad the game gives noobs a helping hand in the beginning. It really eases the learning curve for what could otherwise be a very unforgiving game.

I loved Wasteland 2 and intend to play it again soon. There's tons of replayability in that game as the choices you make have consequences that alter the entire world and last throughout the game.

Honestly games like that (Tyranny is another that comes to mind that needs several playthroughs) aren't very helpful when it comes to making progress on my backlog!

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
How does one finish Grim Dawn? I'm roughly 1700 hours in and I just reinstalled it for some reason.

Also, it's apparently been some time since I last played because all the areas I had tagged in a post from four years ago about potential hidden areas (basically areas that had hidden walls that looked like they went somewhere, but didn't) all contain hidden areas now. There's also some new stuff added and by my count, around 200 or so new legendary items have been added since I last played.

Yeah, you don't really finish Grim Dawn. But I had to set some goals or else I was concerned about getting burned out. For me it was achievements. The only ones I didn't get were the Crucible ones (I haven't purchased that DLC - but I suspect I will someday) and a few of the harder hardcore ones (Alkamos, Morgoneth, etc....basically the hard optional dungeon bosses).

I'd like to take a shot at those and do more hardcore runs but...sinking 60 hours into a character, getting to level 100, and then walking into a cellar and getting one-shot by some human I couldn't even see was super disheartening. Not sure I can even find the will to do another hardcore character.

More likely, I'll just replay softcore with new builds....haven't touched nightblade or alchemist and those look interesting to me.

And yes, with every patch Crate, seemed to add more content. Amazing devotion to that game.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Yeah, you don't really finish Grim Dawn. But I had to set some goals or else I was concerned about getting burned out. For me it was achievements. The only ones I didn't get were the Crucible ones (I haven't purchased that DLC - but I suspect I will someday) and a few of the harder hardcore ones (Alkamos, Morgoneth, etc....basically the hard optional dungeon bosses).

I'd like to take a shot at those and do more hardcore runs but...sinking 60 hours into a character, getting to level 100, and then walking into a cellar and getting one-shot by some human I couldn't even see was super disheartening. Not sure I can even find the will to do another hardcore character.

More likely, I'll just replay softcore with new builds....haven't touched nightblade or alchemist and those look interesting to me.

And yes, with every patch Crate, seemed to add more content. Amazing devotion to that game.
I've only made two HC characters and that was just to see if the build was actually HC viable (it was, but it's been nerfed into the ground - 100% reflect build was fun). I'm currently running a theory-crafted Infiltrator (Nightblade/Inquisitor) build I created while I was at work. Focuses on pierce, bleed, and cold conversion while stacking life leach through devotions and skills. So far, I've been wrecking everything I've come across, so I'm looking forward to rushing through to Ultimate end-game content to see how viable it'll be against crucible waves or even the secret/super secret bosses. The Nemesis bosses can't really touch me except for Kubacabra, but only because of their stupidly high speed and resistance to piercing damage.

The rogue dungeons (Alkamos, Valbury, etc.) shouldn't be too difficult for the average build, but the high cost of getting in one, plus the fact that you can't portal out until you've killed the boss and escaped or died, makes them a pain. However, the amount of loot you get from the end is well worth the investment. I think the secrets and lore alone is what makes this game so great. I remember thinking the Stormheart was just a coincidence, but after thinking about it and going back to read the lore notes, I was surprised to learn it actually was a secret and following the clues just kept going deeper and deeper.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I'm currently running a theory-crafted Infiltrator (Nightblade/Inquisitor) build I created while I was at work.

That build sounds awesome! If you have a chance, I'd love to see a GrimTools link to your build.

The depth of that game is amazing. So many different ways you can approach things.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
transistor is good. shorter than i was expecting, though i think it's one you can play through multiple times. definitely a nice little gem.

I finished Transistor and the recursion (second playthrough) in 12 hours. Now I'm working on finishing the "tests" and should be done with those today.

I'll say this about Transistor. The first hour, I hated it. It was so boring and I just couldn't get into it. But after that first hour, I got captivated. The story started to unfold and SuperGiant does an amazing job at telling stories within their games.

Much like Bastion, the ending hit me in the feels. Not too many video games can do that.

So, yes, I consider Transistor a really nice little gem well-worth playing.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I finished Transistor and the recursion (second playthrough) in 12 hours. Now I'm working on finishing the "tests" and should be done with those today.

I'll say this about Transistor. The first hour, I hated it. It was so boring and I just couldn't get into it. But after that first hour, I got captivated. The story started to unfold and SuperGiant does an amazing job at telling stories within their games.

Much like Bastion, the ending hit me in the feels. Not too many video games can do that.

So, yes, I consider Transistor a really nice little gem well-worth playing.

- Transistor is a funny game, especially if you're coming right off of Bastion.

From the outside looking in, Transistor is just going to be a more sci-fi Bastion-esq ARPG, but when you really start playing the game, its actually a turn based strategy game with real time elements.

I think that gap in expectations has really unfairly dented Transistor's reputation (and got Supergiant to do the radically different Pyre as a follow-up).

In all fairness though, I look at Hades, with the same iso-perspective as Bastion and Transistor, and my mind immediately begins making associations...

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I played Transistor for a few hours many years ago and literally had no idea what was going on, I was so lost with the story.

Very confusing at the time and I dropped it, should re-install and start over, maybe I will understand what the hell is going on this time haha.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I played Transistor for a few hours many years ago and literally had no idea what was going on, I was so lost with the story.

Very confusing at the time and I dropped it, should re-install and start over, maybe I will understand what the hell is going on this time haha.

It's a game well worth playing. But the learning curve for both game play mechanics and story is pretty steep.

Like I mentioned previously, that first hour or two is tough.

Keep in mind that (as @GodisanAtheist mentions above) you are heavily encouraged to play the game as a turn-based strategy game. But, believe it or not, the strongest build is the super life-stealer void build which you don't want to use in tbs mode. In that case, you play as a real-time action game and simultaneously weaken and life steal from enemies. You spam that attack button as fast as you can and very rarely do you ever end up in any kind of trouble. It's pretty over powered. But the fun here are the combinations. You get functions that are basic attacks (i.e. Spark is a shotgun type of blast, Breach a sniper shot, etc.) but you can combine them for different results.

On the story side...it is confusing. Stop at every terminal and place you can get info about....that's how they unfold the story.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Completed Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Superb game.

Not sure what I'll tackle next, might just goof around in Kingdoms of Amalur for a bit before settling on another game.

I definitely want something a bit more hi-fi and definitely a quicker more action oriented game.

Wolfenstein 2 just might fit the bill...

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
That build sounds awesome! If you have a chance, I'd love to see a GrimTools link to your build.

The depth of that game is amazing. So many different ways you can approach things.
After some more tweaking and going back and fourth on the forums with a few other people, this build is damn near unstoppable:
So far I've cleared all the way through Ultimate, completed all of the rogue dungeons, killed every nemesis boss, and killed several of the secret bosses without dying (Although John Burbon and Lokarr made me retreat to heal multiple times and Rashalga almost one-shot me several times). I still have all of the super bosses to kill, but I'll get there eventually.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Halo CE Anniversary
Halo 2 Anniversary
Halo 3
Homeworld 1 Remaster
Ruiner
Halo 4

Well just completed Halo 4 and the MCC collection itself. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes FPS or is looking to get into HALO.

Halo 1-3 is the pinnacle with all of them being fantastic quality, I really cant separate them and anyone one of them could be my favorite.

ODST is also a very solid entry with a slower pace. I really liked collecting the audio logs and overall atmosphere. Going through the flashback missions was also well done, I think Halo really misses out on not presenting more of the civilian and normal soldiers viewpoints which ODST has benefited from.

Halo Reach is also another good shooter, the gameplay starts to shift with the addition of armor abilities and sprint, however it still feels like a Halo game. The story is overall well done if a bit short, I wanted more squad interaction.

Halo 4 is where things fall off a cliff. The gameplay is not Halo and its overall feel is much different. The new enemies are a chore to play against and the redesigned of the covenant is strange. It feels like your playing a knock off, I guess that's what happens when you switch developers. The main story is average, however I did like the relationship building between Chief and Cortana. Overall this the least replayable game for me.

I guess I will have to wait for 5 to come on PC, however from what I'm reading its much worse than 4, I might just watch a full story playthrough of this. At least it seems the developers are listening and brining some of the old feeling back with the new Halo 6 Infinite.