2013 Viper GTS vs. 2013 Corvette ZR1 - MT Road Test

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Excellent article.

SRT's probably going to release an ACR version next year, if only to get the (sort of) title back.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Amazing the two were so close in their performance metrics. Thanks for posting OP.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
All you need to know about the Corvette interior:
"For $125,920 you still get fake carbon fiber on top of fake leather. Worse, if you’re looking at the phony carbon on the center stack, you can actually see the real carbon fiber on the unpainted underside of the hood’s power bulge. If you had a jacket made from the same “leather” as the Corvette, you’d be ashamed to give it to Goodwill. The less said about the seats, the better."

And if you think the Viper was any better:
"While the big navigation screen is a welcome improvement, the rock-hard seats are less comfortable than the ZR1’s. Especially on a 300-mile road trip. And the basically hidden seat controls are a joke. While I’ll hold my nose and choose the Corvette as the better place to sit, both represent the crudest interiors on the market in cars that cost more than $100K. (The Viper as-tested lists for $141,990. Caveat emptor, dudes.)"

How can Lexus make a $50,000 sedan with a better interior than a car that costs 2.5x more?

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
All you need to know about the Corvette interior:

And if you think the Viper was any better:

How can Lexus make a $50,000 sedan with a better interior than a car that costs 2.5x more?

I took a look at the gallery and thought the exact same thing. Yeah its a super car, but still the interior doesn't have to be the ugliest cheapest looking god damn concoction of all time.

acx

Jan 26, 2001
Whats the surprise? They spent all the engineering and design effort on the mechanical parts. Obviously Chevy and Dodge both made the choice to spend every last dollar on performance rather then interior design. If they had spent more on interior design and materials the car would cost even more.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Whats the surprise? They spent all the engineering and design effort on the mechanical parts. Obviously Chevy and Dodge both made the choice to spend every last dollar on performance rather then interior design. If they had spent more on interior design and materials the car would cost even more.

the viper seats are the same as those found in ferraris...same supplier

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
At least they brought back the "grittiness" of the Viper. The past couple generations didn't look nearly mean enough.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
the viper seats are the same as those found in ferraris...same supplier

Yet they get points taken off since the seats "suck".

Remember a lot of these reviews are based on the badge, not the car. I bet the same seats in a Ferrari would be rated just fine.
I remember when the Geo Prizm got average to dull reviews but the Corolla got decent ones, I think that was consumer reports?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

The real question should be how can Lexus make a $400,000 sports car with worse performance than these two American cars.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
The real question should be how can Lexus make a $400,000 sports car with worse performance than these two American cars.

That is pretty much my thoughts.
In this class of car, its pretty obvious, these cars are a way better value despite the interiors. The funny thing though, something posted a while back on the new Viper I could have sworn they said it was the nicest interior offered in a domestic sports car. It sure looks nice to me, even if the colors are a bit loud.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Why would anyone think the Viper would "smash" the Vette?

They have the same HP and Torque, and they weigh practically the same. They SHOULD be essentially dead even.

I think this goes toward the badge issue above.

The orignal Viper was a track car that was made street legal and the Corvette it has options from the car you drive to work to the ZR1. With that the Viper gets compared to the numbers of the base Corvette many times.

But from the story they are both almost tied in most performance marks. 0-60, track time, handling, etc...
I think both are good cars for what they are but the Viper is more a track car and the Corvette is a street car they supped up.

ProchargeMe

Jun 2, 2012
These are fucking race cars, if you use them right the seats are irrelevant. If you want a merc interior, buy a merc.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
These are fucking race cars, if you use them right the seats are irrelevant. If you want a merc interior, buy a merc.

Except that you do need to be held in place by the seat. It's still important, but I think they are more griping on the quality than the actual lateral support.

FWIW the best seats I've ever sat in are almost always Volvos.. Especially the R models.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I'll wait on the C7 to hopefully have the best of both worlds (great interior and great performance).

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Car reviewers always bitch about the weirdest things. Maybe the reviewer was anorexic and needs a booster seat. Give me a break. I'll take a slightly less than perfect seat over a fake carbon fiber dash any day.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Car reviewers always bitch about the weirdest things. Maybe the reviewer was anorexic and needs a booster seat. Give me a break. I'll take a slightly less than perfect seat over a fake carbon fiber dash any day.

I don't sit on the dash. Ideally though cars like these should have comfortable seats AND a great dash.

It's fine that they are comparing the two current flagship American sports cars, but quite honestly, a better comparison will come next year with the C7. Dodge had a chance to redesign their supercar, now let's see what GM can do.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

No, actually they are street cars. If they were race cars they would have seats and interiors like this in them. If you were going to use it as a race car the first thing you'd do is tear out that shitty interior.

bmw-m3-gt-race-car-interior-photo-354126-s-1280x782.jpg

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I don't sit on the dash. Ideally though a car like these should have comfortable seats AND a great dash.

It's fine that they are comparing the two current flagship American sports cars, but quite honestly, a better comparison will come next year with the C7. Dodge had a chance to redesign their supercar, now let's see what GM can do.
I wonder if the C7 is going to keep the insanely low amount of body roll. No other street car has anything like the C6 Z06/ZR1's.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I wonder if the C7 is going to keep the insanely low amount of body roll. No other street car has anything like the C6 Z06/ZR1's.

I don't know, but I sure am excited about 1.13.13. :) The teaser showing a glimpse of the RPM gauge looked very cool. Can't wait for the unveiling. GM promised they would drastically improve the interior for the C7, so we will see. As for performance, I think the C7 will be a very special car.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
I don't sit on the dash. Ideally though cars like these should have comfortable seats AND a great dash.

Comfortable to one person is awful to another. No car company will please every one, these seats are made for this car, the type of driving it does, and the type of person who will own one.
My first car was a Firebird and I loved the tight low seats. My next car was a buick that had the pillow top seats and they were soft and sat higher but made my back hurt when most said it was like riding on pillows and they loved it.

My Corvette has low firm seats and I love them yet again many do not like the feel of the older C3 seats.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Comfortable to one person is awful to another. No car company will please every one, these seats are made for this car, the type of driving it does, and the type of person who will own one.
My first car was a Firebird and I loved the tight low seats. My next car was a buick that had the pillow top seats and they were soft and sat higher but made my back hurt when most said it was like riding on pillows and they loved it.

My Corvette has low firm seats and I love them yet again many do not like the feel of the older C3 seats.

I think most would agree that the C6 is a comfortable ride for a sports car.

Last edited:

ProchargeMe

Jun 2, 2012
No, actually they are street cars. If they were race cars they would have seats and interiors like this in them. If you were going to use it as a race car the first thing you'd do is tear out that shitty interior.

bmw-m3-gt-race-car-interior-photo-354126-s-1280x782.jpg

I think you know what i mean. Why spend $120k+ for a 640 horsepower street car when the speed limit is a real thing. I know thats what they're made for but realistically.... racecar.