2013 Steam Holiday Sale! SALE IS OVER

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Same here. Exited out of the client to fix an issue and now I can't log back in or access the webpage.

Well, this is a first....as far as I know. Brings back the topic of..what happens if...

If this were to last say..2-3 days...I think it would be a major blow to digital distribution and online DRM.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Probably the script kiddies who had a bit too much fun with a botnet and took down a few gaming sites (including LoL and Battle.Net) over the past few days.

EDIT:

Although, if this is not sarcasm, then it might not be them.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Ok..am I crazy or is Steam completely down. I can't get logged in to play any games, reset password or get to the support page. The community page did come up (eventually).

hehe I rebooted my PC to switch some things around, and when I started it back up steam kept saying your network was down. Must have tried my password 5 times before I verified my networking was in fact fine.

What they should do is change that damn message. It should say "It appears the Steam network is down", not imply its a problem on your end. Makes me wonder how good of a deal I am missing out on if the store is down!

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Arma II and serious sam III are both on flash sale and both less than $5.

Arma sale extends to other arma titles.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Disappointed in the past few days. Half-Life 2 is at the top of my list, but my friend is in the sharing beta, so I am going to just bum it off of him instead. Grabbed a Steam card for the end of the sale though, so I'm ready for DOOM 3: BFG Edition to come back.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why didn't you guys tell me that Van Helsing was so awesome? I think I've put about 8 hours into it over the last week, now.

I always thought it looked awesome, but I'm a sucker for Diablo dungeon crawler clones that I always dig early on then get completely bored with and suddenly refuse to play (Titan Quest, Torchlight, Fate, etc).

This one has a bit more twist to it with the skill system and, of course: the tower defense game! :awe:

wow.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
The last great steam sale was either in 2009 or 2010.

Which was when the stalker series, unreal and id packs all went on deep discount.

DOOM 3: BFG Edition (I know it was a deal already, but I got metro: Last Light and its Season Pass with that Steam card instead), UT3, and Quake 4 are 3 games I want most on my Wishlist.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Playing the card market on the last day? I am.

I sold winter sale cards for $.60 plus when the sale started, til the last I sold for $.16. They were semi-stable the last two days around .15-.18, but they are starting to fall into the .11 range. There are around 100,000 of every card still up on the market, with less than two days before they all disappear and the sellers get nothing.

Combined with no limit to the level of the winter sale badge, this could be an opportunity to boost your level, increasing how many booster packs you get, at minimal if any cost.

It's like a game within Steam, and I have to admit I'm hooked.

I'm betting they will fall to 4 cents each near the time they disappear, and I'm going to buy a ton of them with the mighty sum of about $5.

Now, you might think I'm insane, but remember, for every winter sale badge you craft, you get one of the game items that do not expire. I might not get the $400 Path of Exile helm skin, but I'll invest $5 for that chance, and the increased booster pack rewards.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
So I crafted my cards, had enough to craft a few times.
The awesome:
I crafted a Precious item that only 180 other people have

The not so awesome:
It's for Star Conflict so it isn't worth much at all :(

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Looks like today is the last day for new dailies (today's dailies only last 24 hours). Tomorrow will be an encore it looks like.
I wouldn't count on it. They didn't do an encore for the summer sale, and if there was an encore the last deals would still be for 48 hours. This sale is done at 10:00am, and then the snow globe cards expire 24 hours later.

So I crafted my cards, had enough to craft a few times.
The awesome:
I crafted a Precious item that only 180 other people have

The not so awesome:
It's for Star Conflict so it isn't worth much at all :(
D'oh!:(

From the looks of it, only the Valve items are going to be worth much.

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I crafted the badge 5 times, and the only item I got was a Santa's Hat mkIII/common Ragnarok Online 2 item that's worth a whopping $0.03 in the marketplace.

Oh well. At least I still got to level up and increase my Steam e-peen.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
What level do you need to be to get booster packs. Haven't received a single one yet since they started them.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I received 2 booster packs until now, first one before I was at Steam Level 10 (I think I was at Level 5 or 6).

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I believe you're eligible for a booster pack at any level. Just remember the HIGHER your level, the greater the chance you have of receiving one.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Playing the card market on the last day? I am.

I sold winter sale cards for $.60 plus when the sale started, til the last I sold for $.16. They were semi-stable the last two days around .15-.18, but they are starting to fall into the .11 range. There are around 100,000 of every card still up on the market, with less than two days before they all disappear and the sellers get nothing.

Combined with no limit to the level of the winter sale badge, this could be an opportunity to boost your level, increasing how many booster packs you get, at minimal if any cost.

It's like a game within Steam, and I have to admit I'm hooked.

I'm betting they will fall to 4 cents each near the time they disappear, and I'm going to buy a ton of them with the mighty sum of about $5.

Now, you might think I'm insane, but remember, for every winter sale badge you craft, you get one of the game items that do not expire. I might not get the $400 Path of Exile helm skin, but I'll invest $5 for that chance, and the increased booster pack rewards.

I'm willing to bet more than 50% of the card owners don't realize they're on the clock.....

But the real question is: how desperate will the foil card holders become?

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Anyone else having trouble purchasing things this morning. Rogue Legacy back to $4.94 so I want to grab it, but purchase won't go through on Steam app or website :(

EDIT: Nevermind, got it to work using the Android app on my GS4. :)

Last edited:

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
That castle story is pretty fun game, its alpha has some bugs, but completely playable in current state. I bought it last time it was on sale.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I decided to see if I had some game badges to make during the sale, saw I needed a few cards for Magicka.

Went into the market and bought the cards I needed for cash, made the badge, looked at my inventory and notices I had a Magicka booster back there.