2013 Steam Holiday Sale! SALE IS OVER

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I decided to see if I had some game badges to make during the sale, saw I needed a few cards for Magicka.

Went into the market and bought the cards I needed for cash, made the badge, looked at my inventory and notices I had a Magicka booster back there.

Booster packs are marketable......just put it for sale and recover some (or all) of the cost of the cards you bought.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Recap sales are crap. I knew I should have gotten DOOM 3 when I had the chance. I got the Season Pass for Metro instead, and it came up twice after, while DOOM never did.

Sucks that I apparently got a card last night for nothing.

Feb 4, 2009
I have a 50% off Crusader Kings 2 and a spare copy of Mount & Blade for anyone who wants to trade a Starbound invite

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
The damage is light this time around. Only bought Stanley Parable and the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass.

Draygonn

Dec 25, 2013
My backlog got even bigger, picked up 25 games. Finished 5 already but plenty more to keep busy for 2014.

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
What exactly is a "Season's Pass" of a game?

How is it different than a normal version? Is it like a GOTY or Director's Cut edition or something?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
What exactly is a "Season's Pass" of a game?

How is it different than a normal version? Is it like a GOTY or Director's Cut edition or something?

A "season pass" does not contain the actual game; rather, it's a pass you buy that gives you access to all of the DLC as it's released. So it's like you're pre-ordering all of the DLC for a bulk price rather than buying them individually as they come out.

http://i.imgur.com/TyrdHCu.png

Someone spent $2500 to get to lvl 1000 in... lol

Here's a link to the guy's Steam profile, for reference. Level 260. :p http://steamcommunity.com/id/palmdesert

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Well the good news is that as of right now it's impossible to spend any more money on Steam, seeing as how Steam is being DDoS'd.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Time travel; it's only 11:20 here, and See a post from 11:28 tomorrow... are we sure it's been Steam that's been targeted?

:p

*** expected this; it's 90,000 people taking down their .14 cent winter sale cards, and relisting them for .06 cents or lower. Interesting if you are into economics I'd imagine; to see a complete market meltdown before the resource will disappear forever. I called it, and hopefully I can get in to take advantage of it... man, I wish I was at good in RL investments.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Well the good news is that as of right now it's impossible to spend any more money on Steam, seeing as how Steam is being DDoS'd.

Or play anything....guess it's time to put them all in offline mode....or start pirating. It was only a matter of time. 3 cheers for mandatory online DRM! What could go wrong?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Ugh, what stupid garbage is this! I get a new credit card with one of those "spend $x, get $y back" deals, so I obviously want to use it until I at least hit $x. So, why not fund my Steam wallet with it? Nope, if you fund your wallet using a new payment source, it locks your ability to buy and sell on the Steam Community Market FOR A WEEK.

I'm sure the $5 is worth it, Valve. :colbert:

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
*** expected this; it's 90,000 people taking down their .14 cent winter sale cards, and relisting them for .06 cents or lower. Interesting if you are into economics I'd imagine; to see a complete market meltdown before the resource will disappear forever. I called it, and hopefully I can get in to take advantage of it... man, I wish I was at good in RL investments.

As of this morning I expected to see lower card prices too. But it looks like just the opposite is happening.....prices are going up.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Yeah I sent a bitch note to steam when they locked me out for changing my payment method. The really absurd thing is tt while they lock you from the market you can still buy anything from the store with thos locked payment method.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah I sent a bitch note to steam when they locked me out for changing my payment method. The really absurd thing is tt while they lock you from the market you can still buy anything from the store with thos locked payment method.

Steam made my 8 year old cry. I put $5 in his Steam wallet. He bought Terreria. He wants to buy the rest of the cards he needs to make the badge. He can't. He has to wait 30 days for access to the market. He doesn't understand why. I told him - "because Steam is stupid" and it made him feel better.

I think my explanation was accurate.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
As of this morning I expected to see lower card prices too. But it looks like just the opposite is happening.....prices are going up.

Yea, I'm surprised so many people are willing to lose their cards, over lowering the price, but there does seem to be a buying frenzy at the moment. I highly doubt that buying frenzy will take 75,000 of each card though.

Instead of making last minute badges, I put up my remaining cards for .22 each, and they all sold; $5 of seed money toward the next sale.

My haul this sale (thought I'd buy little if anything) :

Spelunky
Starbound
XCOM expansion
Batman Origins
Anno 2070
Brutal Legend
Metro Last Light
Red Faction Guerilla
Trials Evolution

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I honestly believe it is because the majority of the people don't know the cards expire in a few hours.

Trolling the steam community boards in about four hours after the cards disappear ought to be amusing.....

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
I went very light on this sale, not a lot that grabbed me this time around. I usually spend a lot more than this.

The Stanley Parable
Xcom:Enemy Within DLC
The Witcher 2.