2013 core sizes: A7-A15-Jaguar-Atom-Haswell

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
No it didn't. That is not what "begging the question" means.
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/begging-the-question.html

And I'm highly suspicious of Nvidia's A15 shots. Their Tegra 4 die shot, as always, is heavily doctored. I'm not sure it is truly representative of the actual size of the core, and it certainly isn't representative of the underlying circuit layout.

Thanks for posting that so I don't have to. That bugs me to the same extent as "they're/their/there".

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
sounds like you need to reread the OP then, your way off base. notice how the OP isn't taking about bobcat or jaguar, its all in reference to the A5.

Really. I was looking at the pretty dies hans posted and their size Silvermont 2 core at 22nm is just a little smaller than Temash@28. I do not know why intel has to put so much needless things in the die. I didn't see a hondo core on there.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
Really. I was looking at the pretty dies hans posted and their size Silvermont 2 core at 22nm is just a little smaller than Temash@28. I do not know why intel has to put so much needless things in the die. I didn't see a hondo core on there.

so i guess that answers that the Nemesis is infact talking to himself. you seem to have a lot of AMD hate, its really quite abnormal.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
sounds like you need to reread the OP then, your way off base. notice how the OP isn't taking about bobcat or jaguar, its all in reference to the A5.

I understand were talking about core size . Look at ops title whos off base and who isn't '
With a single core medfield intel already is a performance leader in compute and its efficiency is on par with aRM WHO HAS YEARS HEAD START INTEL CAUGHT UP AND WILL SHORTLY PASS THEM . iT DOES not MATTER ABOUT DIE SIZE AS iNTEL HAS TO PAY FOR THE REAL ESTATE. In not getting the same number of dies . Thats intels problem .

Even the newly designed atom silvermont is huge comparred to the others at 4 cores. Intel must not not know how to fab processors . look how big they are comparred to the others , some of them use the same imagination graphics processor . So it has to be something going down here . I mean it will be OoO . Intel should just hang it up . My god man there are good reasons for the die sizes . Look at single core medfield . It broke eveyrone heart that Intel proved they didn't know what they were talking about with x86 not being able to go in the phone space .

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
so i guess that answers that the Nemesis is infact talking to himself. you seem to have a lot of AMD hate, its really quite abnormal.

AMD HATE . NO What happened with PH I endless hype by a couple of folks in this topic . good people were banned because they debated the merits of their hype . Same dang thing happened with BD. and now with temash and jaguar and The new richmond core . Its the same guys running from site to site spreading the hype . We all know it to be true facts . It was so bad with BD that I wouldn't even consider buying a AMD/ATI graphics card . Most here know I was biggest ATI fan of all time. lol. I errored I should have excluded Hans from my comment it in no way was referring to him .

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Oh Hans, I thought you learned from your Bulldozer mistakes. Now you simply repeat them with ARM.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I've enjoyed Hans' die map analyses ever since I came across one of the reports he published on AMD's Mustang. Very cool to see him posting here :thumbsup:

jones377

May 2, 2004
I've enjoyed Hans' die map analyses ever since I came across one of the reports he published on AMD's Mustang. Very cool to see him posting here :thumbsup:

Unfortunately very few people appreciate the work he puts into stuff like this. They just continue their crusades from thread to thread. It's quite pathetic actually.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The issue with ARM is they are always behind the curve. And ARMv7 performance today is lacking at best. ARM only got one thing going for them, and that is dissapearing fast.

Dualcore 1Ghz ARMv7 plus jellybean=terrible.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Unfortunately very few people appreciate the work he puts into stuff like this. They just continue their crusades from thread to thread. It's quite pathetic actually.

Be careful who you point fingers at . Hans always has good stuff to say . Hans you ever been wrong ? Don't answer that . Your human . Because its hans doesn't mean he doesn't step in a little do do every now and than .

I love it when him and who clash . epic dog fights

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

Whats your problem read the title its open to intel cores as its in the topic . I not really going to talk about arm . They are pretty much over with except obama phones . But If your going to make comparison and such . I don't need to adderess hans . He made his point presented the info . The arm stuff is boring . Intel now thats a company that you can never run out of topics to talk about . Last 2 years its for many how bad intel sucks in igp yet they the biggest maker . Or how it sucks Intel doesn't make a 6 core cpu for the performance class . Many of whom are Amd fanbois flapping their collective jaws . They wouldn't buy intel anyway because it cost more . They just mudd throwing when they buy inferior products from AMD . It really is that simple . motiveation what it is foe these people I understand , I was on the p4 when AMD64 was the rooster crow. It was way worse back than if you bought intel . and said ya liked it . Even to this day the denial is high . AMD 64 beat intel in games and single threaded apps . Intel won on anything dual threaded . True facts that are easily forgotten by the less fortunate. Only after X2 did AMD dominate . But I was on dothan by than . 3.2 ghz on water chiller . With a 100$ higher electric bill every month dang Asus, But in gaming and single thread apps AMD had nothing over dothan

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Last edited:

Haserath

Sep 12, 2010
Hans Smart phones for AMD in 2013 . I will wager what ever you like that doesn't happen . Hell Hondo was the only tablet so far at ces fpr AMD and when will we see that . I sure would like to see the design wins . I mean these are releasing shortly according to many . So where are the tablet design wins . Amd should be showing . If they had any it would be shown just like the hondo was shown and the same with tablets for intel . Last year we seen those at Ces yet some aren't out yet . and a phone design . Intel had to do a referrance design . weres AMDs . Or is the industry going to some how treat AMD better than intel . Highly unlikely

Btw, I don't know why you turned this into a bash n AMD post. Hans said nothing about AMD's plans; he pointed out die size and posted pictures. They're very nice to have too, but they are only that.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
@Haserath

It's not worth it,trust me :)

Hans did a good job on the image, we can see different goals with each design(some target just the lowest power,some the highest performance and some are in the middle-all reflected in the die area).

djgandy

Nov 2, 2012
Great work. Are the Tegra 4 sizes accurate? i.e. can Nvidia's presentation slide be trusted?

Also a terrible signal to noise ratio in this thread. Some people should read more and talk less.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Btw, I don't know why you turned this into a bash n AMD post. Hans said nothing about AMD's plans; he pointed out die size and posted pictures. They're very nice to have too, but they are only that.

I am not bashing AMD . This is the problem in the World today in all things . The truth is not bashing. I lesson on learned when I was running p4s against AMD 64 . AT articles seemed bios towards amd and I believed that . But what happensConroe comes out and AT treated AMD exactly the same . That taught me a lesson a guy like ananda may seem bios towards a product depending on what side of the fence your on . Go to alot of forums many talk about anands being bias toward intel . not true I been on both sides of the fence Ananda just tells it like it is . Get over it . Does Ananda screw up yes he does and is the first to admitt it . If the truth is hard to take it is not the messenger that has the problem . I clearly see intel has large dies comparred to others . I do find that alarming . Take silvermont vs Temash 4 core Silvermont is almost 2x bigger than temash. intel is on 22nm amd on28. If you think I am dismissing this your wrong . Unless intel is 2x faster in both graphics and compute . I see a problem with intel . That doesn't change the fact I will buy intel . I could careless about ARM . I did care befor medfield after medfield arm isn't even on my radar . AMD on the other hand is surprizing me . But that still doesn't change my position . Thats not to say my perspective hasn't changed . AMD has to deliver first than my position may change . So far Ces amd has done a fair job of presenting their material. Since this was a die size topic I found the 2x86 cores to be of interst not so with the arm stuff.

Last edited:

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Great work. Are the Tegra 4 sizes accurate? i.e. can Nvidia's presentation slide be trusted?

I wonder this too.. :/

Also would love to see what the area is like on Exynos 5. Similar processors implemented on Samsung's 45nm and TSMC's 40nm seemed to enjoy a massive density advantage on the latter and I wonder how much of that is retained in Samsung's 32nm vs TSMC's 28nm.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
It's an A9 like the other 4, just implemented with a different process technology. And I don't think A5 is really as small as you say, especially not ones with NEON.

yep, mixed stuffs...it less than 1 mm²

actually, 0.68mm² with everything

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Why is the kinini here a differant size than the one hans is showing in another topic .

2 core vs 4 core The other one is 11.1x 10.2 = 114mm2