The amazingly little A7 with FP, Neon and 16kB L1D and L1I caches
is 32 times smaller as a 22 nm Intel Haswell core. Yet it has 75% of
the IPC of an A9. Expect it to sell more as all other cores combined
in 2013 in the form of 28nm quad core high volume smart phone SOC's

Hans.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Look how little they are compared to intel . Looks like game over for intel they best pack up shop. How can they compete with that ?

Haserath

Sep 12, 2010
But price between making a Haswell core and an A7 core is so small...

The problem with ARM makers is that they're going to flood the market with these devices, then have nobody to sell to. My mother, father, brother, and I all have tablets thanks to their cheaper prices. Won't be buying another for years.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Yeah well if you think atom is slow you just try using that A7 to do anything that requires any processing power.

FlanK3r

Sep 15, 2009
Haswell we can not comparte example with Jaguar. AMD jaguar is next product for Bobcats, so for entry level desktop or small thinnetbooks etc...New Atom will be better oponent for Jaguar.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Hans Smart phones for AMD in 2013 . I will wager what ever you like that doesn't happen . Hell Hondo was the only tablet so far at ces fpr AMD and when will we see that . I sure would like to see the design wins . I mean these are releasing shortly according to many . So where are the tablet design wins . Amd should be showing . If they had any it would be shown just like the hondo was shown and the same with tablets for intel . Last year we seen those at Ces yet some aren't out yet . and a phone design . Intel had to do a referrance design . weres AMDs . Or is the industry going to some how treat AMD better than intel . Highly unlikely

jones377

May 2, 2004
Hans Smart phones for AMD in 2013 . I will wager what ever you like that doesn't happen . Hell Hondo was the only tablet so far at ces fpr AMD and when will we see that . I sure would like to see the design wins . I mean these are releasing shortly according to many . So where are the tablet design wins . Amd should be showing . If they had any it would be shown just like the hondo was shown and the same with tablets for intel . Last year we seen those at Ces yet some aren't out yet . and a phone design . Intel had to do a referrance design . weres AMDs . Or is the industry going to some how treat AMD better than intel . Highly unlikely

Are you arguing with Hans the OP or Hans the voice in your head?

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Haswell we can not comparte example with Jaguar. AMD jaguar is next product for Bobcats, so for entry level desktop or small thinnetbooks etc...New Atom will be better oponent for Jaguar.
You mean the Z2580 right because if your talking about silvermont not going to happen . So when is jag out . Hondo is at the show in a proof of concept tablet . Were are these AMD cores that are soon to be released to these handhelds. This isn't anything like desktop parts . These parts don't exist . What AMD going to do wish them into existance . If say Asus was bring out an AMD tablet this year , They would be showing it now . Or is amd special case. LOL

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
You really need to lay off.

why his post seems a very accurate assessment.

Yeah well if you think atom is slow you just try using that A7 to do anything that requires any processing power.
well the single core cortex A8 in my 3GS holds up just fine, hear all that rage about how slow that crappy iPhone 4 is!!!!!! people here need a reality check.

Last edited:

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
the 5th core in tegra-3 is an A5.....that thing is 0.01mm² :D

Lol, at 0.01mm^2 it probably has so little stuff that I could probably do the entire architecture, coding and the entire physical implementation by myself.

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
Last edited:

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
the 5th core in tegra-3 is an A5.....that thing is 0.01mm² :D

It's an A9 like the other 4, just implemented with a different process technology. And I don't think A5 is really as small as you say, especially not ones with NEON.

MightyMalus

Jan 3, 2013
Pretty sure AMD ain't trying to win the smartphone race.
AMD is only challenging Intel in tablets and very small devices.
Phones is all Intel vs [Insert many companies here].
And I don't see Intel competing well in 2013.

I mean, it would be great if there was like a Win8 OS in a phone, then Intel would have quite a few wins because of it. And Ubuntu OS in phones is way off.

What's the benefit of a phone running x86? None, yet. A tablet? Many.

AMD needs to concentrate on the tablet and small form devices, it has better gpu's than Intel and its x86, something that NVIDIA will soon probably get away from.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
Impressive, and highly interesting. To be fair though, I think we have to look at the over SoC size packages here, especially considering the GPU portion of these chips are taking something like ~2-4x the real estate of the CPU parts.

Jaguar cores are lookin' good though.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Are you arguing with Hans the OP or Hans the voice in your head?

I am debating the merits of what I am hereing . Just because a chip is released In the hand held market its along time from getting silicon in the product . Hondo is at the show with 1 design win . Same as intel 2 years ago and last year . OEMs showed products but they never came to market .

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
sounds like you need to reread the OP then, your way off base. notice how the OP isn't taking about bobcat or jaguar, its all in reference to the A5.