2008 VP Debate Thread

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Hannity and Rove on Fox now - I wonder who they think "won" the debate?

Hannity: "Palin shock and awe".

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
The lefty fringe will think he killed her in the debate, the righty fringe will think she was awesome. The fact is that she held her own. Lets face it, everyone (right or left) expected her to get trounced. That simply did not happen. The expectations were way low for her, and she did herself a lot of good by simply doing a good job not making major mistakes.

It's just funny how those on the fringe think their political opinions are those of the average person......

if you voted for bush the second time, you were on the fringe of permanent stupidity.

im hoping enough americans pulled back from that precipice in the last four years.

So roughly half the American population is according to you "permanently stupid". That, in a nutshell is why you are part of the nutty fringe. You are incapable of understanding how someone could have a different opinion than yours without labeling them as "permanently stupid".

Given that many people were voting against Bush rather than for Kerry I'd say history has shown he's right.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Guiliani just said that was one of the best performances in history.

6666!!!

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: winnar111
Well that was kind of boring. Meh.

= Biden win. :laugh:

On substance, obviously.

Will it help then win, probably not.

Now Palin can duck into Cheney's bunker for a month, popping up every few days.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Giuliani: "one of the best debate performances I have ever seen by anybody. Only the liberal media can deny her this win".

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: RaistlinZ
Originally posted by: homercles337
Im curious why people think the surge(tm) worked? Why didnt Biden rip Caribou Barbi on this? There were so many other important things that contributed (money to the insurgents, which ended/s recently/soon; the anbar awakening, which happened before the surge; the truce of al-sadr; the ethnic/sectarian cleansing; the exodus of Iraqis; etc).

It seemed like Biden's strategy through this was not to attack her very much but instead direct all attacks towards McCain, which he did very well.

Sure, but attacking the talking point of "the surge(tm) is working" is doing both. I forgot to mention that most people in the know acknowledge that our threat of leaving did way more to get the Iraqis to move than any number of surging troops ever did.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: QED
Originally posted by: jonks
Homerun for Sarah Palin. If you took away the Katie Couric interview maybe I wouldn't be this surprised, but she looked bright, confident, and knowledgeable. SNL will have it's hands full trying to make that funny.

Anyone notice Biden said Article 1 defines the VP powers? It's actually article two. Whoops Joe. On the other hand, on the same question it was pretty clear Palin had no idea about when Cheney tried that stunt, nor that every single legal authority was too busy laughing at the claim to bother refuting it, and then she went and agreed with it. Whoops Sarah. As to the American people? Maybe 5% know which article of the Constitution defines which branch, and 5% might remember Cheney saying the VP wasn't part of the Executive branch so maybe it's a wash.

This pretty much sums up the whole debate. Quite a few factual mistatements on both sides but no gross errors or mistatements. I came out of this feeling much better about both candidates (although I already was somewhat of a Biden fan).

no gross errors? I find it grossly deceiving for Palin to continue the same attacks against Obama on taxes. McCain got called out on it, Palin will too.

But too many people are out there actually believing their lies.

reminds me of 9/11 WMDs and Iraq. You say it long enough and often enough and pretty soon people believe it. Thats just wrong.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Reading through the transcript, some of Palin's comments are just over-the-top populist. I don't know what party the "government doesn't exist to put food on your table" people belong to, but it's not the Republican party.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Giuliani: "one of the best debate performances I have ever seen by anybody. Only the liberal media can deny her this win".

Delusional

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I've been trying to think of who Palin has been reminding me of - and it hit me that she comes off like Ned Flanders.....

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
Here's what matters.

Palin needs to help sway Independents. She didn't do it. She can rally the base all she wants but that won't be enough to win the election.

Except she doesn't sway independents based on her opinions on foreign policy.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
fox25 in boston reports poll results as

palin 56%
biden 40%
undecided 4%

i wouldn't be surprised if this were identical to all fox local polls, given their audience.

ABC local was 57% Biden, 3x% Palin, and the remainder undecided. Sorry i cant remember the exact numbers.

BTW, what have you been up to Dangler?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: The Boston Dangler
fox25 in boston reports poll results as

palin 56%
biden 40%
undecided 4%

i wouldn't be surprised if this were identical to all fox local polls, given their audience.

I think for a fox poll Biden did pretty good on those numbers.

ultimately those numbers dont mean anything though.

Lets look at trends, favorabilty, and sentiment between now and the next debate. That is where the game is at.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Biden didn't kick her ass, he kicked the shit out of McCains ass.

Maybe, but then again, Cheney took a dump on Edwards's face.

Doubt it changed your mind.

badkarma1399

Feb 21, 2007
Biden pretty much crushed Palin, no question about it.

The only reason I think people say it was close because Palin was expected to utterly fail in every way. While she still did horrible, most were expecting her to do worse. So she comes off looking good...erm...better.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: IsLNdbOi
If Biden were debating another long-time politician, would he have had to hold back as much as he did in this debate?

No. In previous debates, Biden has built a reputation as an 'attack dog.'

As I don't think many school teachers are going to be swayed to the Republican ticket no matter how much Palin shouts out to them, I don't see how Palin can do well with independents with her inability to answer questions directly, her slang speak and informality, her fake country accent (they don't really talk like that in suburban Anchorage), shout outs to folks at home, nonstop RNC talking points, and 'liberal media' rhetoric. Sure, she rallies the base, but that's not enough to put McCain over the top.

Mar 10, 2005
fox news channel poll saya

palin 86%
biden 12%
undecided 0%

smoke, flashing lights...TILT TILT TILT...BOOM

not very much, homercles. i wish i could say things were better.
you?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

On substance, obviously.

Substance or reality? Each side played their talking points but take away Palin's looks and 'folksy charm' and what do you have? She identified with her base and that's about it. Just because there were no long pauses doesn't mean she did well.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Debbie Wasserman Schultz is getting rocked by Hannity. Most dems do.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
I've been trying to think of who Palin has been reminding me of - and it hit me that she comes off like Ned Flanders.....

I think you mean Maud. :p

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

On substance, obviously.

Substance or reality? Each side played their talking points but take away Palin's looks and 'folksy charm' and what do you have? She identified with her base and that's about it. Just because there were no long pauses doesn't mean she did well.

She did well precisely because of that folksy charm and looks for a position that has historically been about folksy charm and looks.

There was nothing like a Bentsen Quayle moment here.