2008 VP Debate Thread

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: QED
No.

What happened to that link to that article on The Atlantic website?

I about shat myself when I read it and found myself agreeing with the whole damn thing.

:shocked:

Meh. I dug deeper and found out the author is just an RNC shill. It's quite telling though when even someone like that thinks that Palin isn't ready for the national stage (with exactly the reason why), but he had links to his book sales on that page and I didn't feel like helping out his advertising.

So do you disagree with the article now that you know the author is "just an RNC shill"?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
No.

What happened to that link to that article on The Atlantic website?

I about shat myself when I read it and found myself agreeing with the whole damn thing.

:shocked:

Meh. I dug deeper and found out the author is just an RNC shill. It's quite telling though when even someone like that thinks that Palin isn't ready for the national stage (with exactly the reason why), but he had links to his book sales on that page and I didn't feel like helping out his advertising.

So do you disagree with the article now that you know the author is "just an RNC shill"?

No, not at all. Quite the opposite, it appealed greatly to the cynic in me. I just didn't feel like pimping his book sales, like I said.

edit: here I'll re-post it Text
I suppose it doesn't matter anyway since it's linked on RCP's front page anyway.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
After the terrible showing tonight, Sarah The Lipstick Dipstick sans Pitbull Palin needs to quietly retrieve a plane ride back to Alaska to stay.

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Aimster
People who think Palin won can relate to her stupidity.

Elitism is an attractive trait to a very small niche of voters, not enough to make a difference.
On the other hand, relating to people regardless of their intellect can certainly make a difference in a close election.

Palin won not because she won but because she held her own against a dinosaur of Biden's resume, despite the widespread prior liberal and media expectations that she would gaffe far worse than Biden.

No real gaffes + pointed debate + relating to common folk = Palin win.

Will it matter? Hard to say, but certainly the core conservative base is fired up about Palin whereas they where not fired up about McCain. Getting voters to actually show up at the polls is crucial to both campaigns in this close race.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: hellokeith

Elitism is an attractive trait to a very small niche of voters, not enough to make a difference.
On the other hand, relating to people regardless of their intellect can certainly make a difference in a close election.

Palin won not because she won but because she held her own against a dinosaur of Biden's resume, despite the widespread prior liberal and media expectations that she would gaffe far worse than Biden.

Will it matter? Hard to say, but certainly the core conservative base is fired up about Palin whereas they where not fired up about McCain. Getting voters to actually show up at the polls is crucial to both campaigns in this close race.
The Dem base far outnumbers the Rep base this year. If it was base vs. base, Obama would win.

McCain needs Ind to vote for him, and Palin didn't make that case tonight.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: postmortemIA
Readers of drudge report don't agree:

{{{{DRUDGE POLL}}}} WHO WON THE VICE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE?...

BIDEN
28% 60,335
PALIN
70% 148,877
NEITHER
2% 3,642

Are you going to post the poll #'s from freep next?

Mr. Lennon

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Zeppelin2282
http://i37.tinypic.com/67qpn6.jpg

I want that last frame poster-sized.

that's how I feel every day at work. lol.

Hey give credit where its due.

lol jk. My RL friend did make that gem after the debate though.

tried quoting the thread, but I wasn't *****

haha no worries.

I LOLed so hard when he sent me that.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: hellokeith

Am I an elitist because every time she opened her mouth I felt my IQ drop? Am I an elitist because I was frustrated to hear her respond to very specific questions with pretty much everything except the answer to that question? I genuinely was curious to hear her specific viewpoints on specific issues, and instead I heard nothing.

It's truly unfortunate that Biden had to pull so many punches. He could have totally laid into her every time she dodged an answer, but that would make him the bad guy. Oh well.

The "core conservative base" would get fired up about a potted plant if the only alternative was a dirty liberal. These are the same people who think Bush is doing a fabulous job and would fully support a constitutional amendment allowing him to run again.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I must have watched something different.

All the media sites showing Palin winning like 70% to Biden 30%. :confused:

There is no hope for America

It's dead Jim.

The media is run by the republican scums! Except NPR, it's run by hippies.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
If it were just 1 person running and no vice presidents....I would pick McCain hands down.

With that being said, she got trashed in the debate...but not so much by Biden, by her own stupid fucking whiny voice....her stupid cliches, her stupid buzzwords, etc etc. There was nothing that made me think she was even qualified to be a mayor, let alone a governor or vice president. It is clear that she cannot think on her own. If I hear her say the word Maverick one more time I might be inclined to donate to Obama.

I liked Biden in this debate, he came off very well.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Its amazing with Bush and now with Palin, just how low the standards can go.
She walked, talked, and smiled. Therefore she was great????? :roll:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I thought the debate was mediocre.

I don't know why it has to have so much fluff away from the issues.

The debates are easily dominated by catch phrases. I recall 2000 and GWB's 'compassionate conservatism' and 'humble foreign policy'. Sounded good.

But that's dangerous because catch phrases are easily and hard to prove lies. Note McCain being a 'maverick' and the guy who will fix the corruption in Wall Street and Washington.

The debate does have some value though, two things in particular - it shows you some personal characteristics (not exactly what they say), and what they'll stoop to for a point.

It said something the way Palin did not answer questions, and her mantra 'maverick' repeated what seemed like dozens of times.

You know they have little when they are selling one word so hard for their branding - and a word that doesn't hold up to any scrutiny.

McCain has run the most sellout, say anything for votes campaign I can remember seeing, with 2000 GWB too close to call the tie.

How many times has he tried to exploit his 'putting the country ahead of politics' with his return to Washington in the campaign now, and attacked Barama, politicizing it?

The only question now is how many Americans are so defective as citizens that they still prefer McCain/Palin.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Palin v Biden: two men en... wait, damnit :frown:

two people enter, one man leave doesn't have the same ring to it.

at this point, I don't think it matters what Palin does -- expectations are so low that anything short of an outright crash and burn will be hailed as a victory and any bad points will be blamed on the "omg liberal moderator."

9PM ET, I'm skipping my WoW raid to watch :p

Dang, I had to skip the AP trinket from the brewfest boss

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1
Just in case it had not yet been posted, the BBC fact checks:
Link

Who would think that the BBC could be liberal? Shocked I tell ya....shocked!

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
I see about one out of every ten posters in here actually trying to be objective.
Most of the rest of you sound like Obamatons. ( lets all sit in a circle now and hold hands...close your eyes and sing an ode to Barrack):roll:

Truth be known Palin did fine.
Biden also performed well and had no major gaffs.
If the election were between Obama and Biden it would be no contest.
As Biden sounded much more competant and presidential then Obama.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1
Just in case it had not yet been posted, the BBC fact checks:
Link

Who would think that the BBC could be liberal? Shocked I tell ya....shocked!

Who would think that a Ocguy31 post would be biased? Shocked I tell ya....shocked!

Pandaren

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2003
Palin was a disaster.

When I think about the content of what she actually said, it is clear to me that her knowledge base is lacking and that she has poor grasp of the issues.

She dodges questions.

She repeats meaningless slogans.

The Republican base will make excuses for her, but independents and swing voters are IMO likely unconvinced.