20 Years and it all goes to s*. Climate Change. Hossenfelder.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So basically it turns out that some old "worst case scenario" climate models that has been disregarded in mainstream science as unlikely has advanced from unlikely to probable.

Watch the video, cloud formations, super cooled water blabla... The point is that everything starts going to shit in about 20 years time.

Sabine is not an alarmist so when she makes these predictions I pay attention. Dont get me wrong, those 20 may turn into 30 or 40 but it's still inevitable.

(Wonder what kind of climate related geopolitical pressure countries can tolerate before war and nukes.)

It's going to shit gentlemen. End of days. Smell you later.

- Wouldnt it be something if the best period to be alive was the cocaine fueled 80'ies?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
The problem isn't that we don't know the solution.

The problem is that we can't implement the solution due to disagreement between ourselves.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Spoken like a true boomer. FYGM is your default operating mode.
What do you expect? Should I burst into tears and throw myself on the floor? Perhaps rail at everyone that uses energy?
We did this, all of us. No matter how much we bloviate in this forum, it's not going to get better because we're not going to give up our luxury lifestyle.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
What do you expect? Should I burst into tears and throw myself on the floor? Perhaps rail at everyone that uses energy?
We did this, all of us. No matter how much we bloviate in this forum, it's not going to get better because we're not going to give up our luxury lifestyle.
Your generation denied this shit for decades and still actively works to prevent progress. At least own up to your fucking failure.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yes. Your perceived indifference infers that you dont have skin in the game, skin in this context would be children and/or grand children... Or at least none that you have a caring relationship with.

I take issue with your stance cause it's quite obvious that you use these forums as an outlet for that inherent need you have to label some other group of people as idiots. These idiots screaming on the internet and doing nothing in real life "lol" they dumb. Right?
But at least they didnt eat meat. Lol. Libtards.
Makes you feel good right? Those idiots. Tsk.
And in this instance you just leverage a climate debate to achieve that.

You know, its probably for the best.

Reactions: akugami and Pohemi

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
A few minor changes in something as simple as voting habits and you can be part of the solution instead of the precipitate.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Yes. Your perceived indifference infers that you dont have skin in the game, skin in this context would be children and/or grand children... Or at least none that you have a caring relationship with.

I take issue with your stance cause it's quite obvious that you use these forums as an outlet for that inherent need you have to label some other group of people as idiots. These idiots screaming on the internet and doing nothing in real life "lol" they dumb. Right?
But at least they didnt eat meat. Lol. Libtards.
Makes you feel good right? Those idiots. Tsk.
And in this instance you just leverage a climate debate to achieve that.

You know, its probably for the best.
You missed pretty much every point.
Have you ever noticed that I don't use the word "libtards"? Or that I very rarely respond to hostility with hostility? Does anyone get more hostility here than me?
I do snark because I find it sadly humorous that someone thinks finding consensus with like minded people is taking action. "Someone needs to do something" is the battle cry of the ineffective. You don't change the world by talking about how much you hate some other group, or constantly discussing how stupid and uneducated they are. That's anonymous confrontation that I find so pathetically weak it actually makes me sad.

What that all leads to is that I don't take this little slice of political masturbation seriously. Sometimes I do come across something that I find interesting, and I always enjoy reading ideas that don't align with mine, but overall it's just a tiny little bit of entertainment. Slightly more interesting than watching my dogs sniff the back yard.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
It's weird how little I hear about the ozone hole during discussions about climate change. It feels like the perfect illustrative example of the climate change debate.

- Yes, human activity can have an outsized impact on planetary health.

-Yes, this impact might not mean immediate devastation, we might even be able to survive it, but we wouldn't thrive as a result.

- Yes, the problem is systemic, not individual. You won't solve the problem by buying a CFC free fridge, CFCs need to be removed from the manufacturing process.

-Yes, the world can come together and solve an existential problem.

- Yes, the ozone hole fluctuates in size, it didn't go away immediately, but is trending toward disappearing entirely in about 30-40 years.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm totally sick of people blaming this as a generational thing. Fact of the matter we boomers walked into a world where rampant population growth and unbridled exploitation of natural resources was not only the norm but religiously mandated by the bible. We got a decent grip on population growth (at least in most areas not considered third world) and made major steps on cleaning up the world.

You have no idea how bad water pollution was before things like the clean water act in the 70s. I lived just down river from the state capitol and the regional sewer plant. It's operating standard was that in "flood conditions" they would dump raw, unprocessed sewage into the river. Many times when I was boating on my state's namesake river I could literally see sh*t floating by.

I'm a boomer. Never owned a SUV, barge car or the equivalent, never voted for Nixon or Reagan or Trump or the like and know lots of people of my generation that behave likewise. When I go any sort of political activist meeting, more often than not the vast majority of the group is bald/gray haired.

There are many, many of us boomers that actually did things to improve what we leave behind. Like Greenman says, there are a lot of short-sighted fools that many focus on today's luxuries. That, unfortunately, is part of human nature.

Rather than whine about other generations on the internet, what do you actually do to achieve the goals you want? Heck it's nearly a majority of the people in this country that don't even take the half hour effort every couple of years to even bother to vote. Do you lobby your legislators? Work/contribute to organizations supporting your goals? Frankly STFU with the blame game, put the game controller down/turn Netflix off and get to work on the problems you complain about at least once a week.

I would go on, but it's pissing 35 degree rain today which is going to make my afternoon hike unpleasant so I must go yell at the clouds.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I'm totally sick of people blaming this as a generational thing. Fact of the matter we boomers walked into a world where rampant population growth and unbridled exploitation of natural resources was not only the norm but religiously mandated by the bible. We got a decent grip on population growth (at least in most areas not considered third world) and made major steps on cleaning up the world.

You have no idea how bad water pollution was before things like the clean water act in the 70s. I lived just down river from the state capitol and the regional sewer plant. It's operating standard was that in "flood conditions" they would dump raw, unprocessed sewage into the river. Many times when I was boating on my state's namesake river I could literally see sh*t floating by.

I'm a boomer. Never owned a SUV, barge car or the equivalent, never voted for Nixon or Reagan or Trump or the like and know lots of people of my generation that behave likewise. When I go any sort of political activist meeting, more often than not the vast majority of the group is bald/gray haired.

There are many, many of us boomers that actually did things to improve what we leave behind. Like Greenman says, there are a lot of short-sighted fools that many focus on today's luxuries. That, unfortunately, is part of human nature.

Rather than whine about other generations on the internet, what do you actually do to achieve the goals you want? Heck it's nearly a majority of the people in this country that don't even take the half hour effort every couple of years to even bother to vote. Do you lobby your legislators? Work/contribute to organizations supporting your goals? Frankly STFU with the blame game, put the game controller down/turn Netflix off and get to work on the problems you complain about at least once a week.

I would go on, but it's pissing 35 degree rain today which is going to make my afternoon hike unpleasant so I must go yell at the clouds.

Sorry boomers are the worst generation. Deal with it.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So basically it turns out that some old "worst case scenario" climate models that has been disregarded in mainstream science as unlikely has advanced from unlikely to probable.

Watch the video, cloud formations, super cooled water blabla... The point is that everything starts going to shit in about 20 years time.

Sabine is not an alarmist so when she makes these predictions I pay attention. Dont get me wrong, those 20 may turn into 30 or 40 but it's still inevitable.

(Wonder what kind of climate related geopolitical pressure countries can tolerate before war and nukes.)

It's going to shit gentlemen. End of days. Smell you later.

- Wouldnt it be something if the best period to be alive was the cocaine fueled 80'ies?

The fun thing is, the next 20 is already baked in. Changes we make today affect 30, 40 years and beyond.

1706462436330.png

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's weird how little I hear about the ozone hole during discussions about climate change. It feels like the perfect illustrative example of the climate change debate.

- Yes, human activity can have an outsized impact on planetary health.

-Yes, this impact might not mean immediate devastation, we might even be able to survive it, but we wouldn't thrive as a result.

- Yes, the problem is systemic, not individual. You won't solve the problem by buying a CFC free fridge, CFCs need to be removed from the manufacturing process.

-Yes, the world can come together and solve an existential problem.

- Yes, the ozone hole fluctuates in size, it didn't go away immediately, but is trending toward disappearing entirely in about 30-40 years.
Unfortunately the ozone was primarily caused by a single very specific set of things, which was generated by a specific subset of chemical manufacturing processes. We changed those manufacturing processes, passed the cost to the consumer, and now nobody thinks about it.

To fix this requires herculean shifts to the entire way humans live, or at least spending absolutely breathtaking amounts of money and labor in very short order. Like tens of trillions and labor forces around the world.

Reactions: Ken g6 and Pohemi

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The fun thing is, the next 20 is already baked in. Changes we make today affect 30, 40 years and beyond.

View attachment 92629
Indeed, the context here is that the next 20 is gonna be worse than generally anticipated.

I dont think we appreciate the coming days though. Might be time to work on that contingency plan for your family. Property somewhere you can do "family vacations" on with adjacent nature for hunting etc.

One thing that is not going to help a whole lot is a life long career in finance.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

The boomers don’t get the blame for creating the problem, they don’t even get the blame for not trying to fix it, where they get the blame is that the boomer voting block overwhelmingly voted for politicians who blocked anyone else from trying to address the issue.

Your generation is entitled and handed everything and I certainly don’t begrudge your generation for having it so good, I wish all generations could have it that good. The problem I have with your generation is your incessant need to keep everyone else for trying to improve anything. Again, we are speaking in generalities as there are plenty (not a majority though) of boomers who actually tried to do good.

If you don’t understand that then you are most likely part of the problem.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Dont get me wrong, those 20 may turn into 30 or 40 but it's still inevitable.
Given World War 3, and our absolute need for mass industrial weapons production.
20 is optimistic, we're going to blow the roof off of CO2 production or watch people be killed by those who do.

Only alternative I see to waging war, is to provide nuclear weapons to ALL nations who we don't want to fight over.
A nuclear deterrent for all countries we care to save or full scale industrial war. Those are our choices now.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Indeed, the context here is that the next 20 is gonna be worse than generally anticipated.

I dont think we appreciate the coming days though. Might be time to work on that contingency plan for your family. Property somewhere you can do "family vacations" on with adjacent nature for hunting etc.

One thing that is not going to help a whole lot is a life long career in finance.
I wouldn't kid myself with the idea of hunting for food. Most places in the US don't have enough land nearby to support a sufficient population of motivated humans. If the shit really hit the fan they'll be hunted dry of everything larger than a chipmunk within a week or three.

Lay low, loot the near infinite stores of dry goods in homes surrounding you. Worry about hunting and survival skills if you make it past that first year of blood.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Come on, the financial analyst can calculate the cost of which ever limb the cannibals want to chop off next!

PS, I take it we view this thread as adding ONTO the already existing pile of reasons that the world as we know it, human civilization, has already come to an end? Because it surely has and we're just waiting for the consequences now.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Come on, the financial analyst can calculate the cost of which ever limb the cannibals want to chop off next!

PS, I take it we view this thread as adding ONTO the already existing pile of reasons that the world as we know it, human civilization, has already come to an end? Because it surely has and we're just waiting for the consequences now.
Not an end just yet, but we're definitely entering the 'find out' phase.

Reactions: Pohemi

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Sorry boomers are the worst generation. Deal with it.
Nope. They were just lucky that life was easy for them.
Sure there are arseholes that are boomers but there are a bunch of rolling coal arseholes that'll actively do everything possible that's the worst for the environment in the face of the existential threat we face.
There are a bunch of sexist boomer arseholes but then there are a bunch of Andrew Tate sympathetic sociopaths that are pretty young.

In short there are arseholes of all generations.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Nope. They were just lucky that life was easy for them.
Sure there are arseholes that are boomers but there are a bunch of rolling coal arseholes that'll actively do everything possible that's the worst for the environment in the face of the existential threat we face.
There are a bunch of sexist boomer arseholes but then there are a bunch of Andrew Tate sympathetic sociopaths that are pretty young.

In short there are arseholes of all generations.
Thank you...

I was getting close to having to caution certain posters (who like to place the blame on an entire demographic), that they could be well on the road to fascism by flirting with one of its principle tenets:
  • "Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause"
Not a good look at all.