19 Year Old Girl Shot Looking for Help

Page 56 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Guess I'm never living in LA either JFC.

Yeah, it's pretty violent down there. Articles every month like this:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/crime/Two-dead-others-injured-in-9th-Ward-shooting-270694541.html

Citizens are jumpy when crime is rampant.

Just had a priest killed in Durham NC, went off for a 5 mile trip to run errands in broad daylight. Found his car in a housing complex and his body in a state park.

Another guy walked out for lunch. Was beaten to death with a rock.

You can't even go out in broad daylight and be sure you'll make it back home in some areas.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Not really. All he had to state was he heard a loud banging at his door at the wee hours of the morning waking him up. That he went to investigate, thought it was someone trying to get in and shot them. None of this "I think I accidentally shot someone" or "I didn't know it was loaded" or whatever else he said. Had he said, I thought someone was trying to break into my house and shot them to stop them it would be a done and over case. At least around here. Doesn't matter if he opened his door to shoot either.

Which is why you don't go knocking around here one someone's door very late at night/early morning unless you know the people in the house.
Tennessee is a pretty conservative state, but I don't think one would escape being charged for shooting someone on one's porch without some evidence of reasonable grounds for fear. Unless it's someone recognized under the "he needed killin'" theory anyway.

It's a damned shame that a young girl can't safely seek help from a fellow American though. Perhaps a better lesson would be that if you are going to get drunk or stoned, you'd best make provisions to stay where you are so that your bad decisions don't lead to hurting others or to others making bad decisions that hurt you.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
It's a damned shame that a young girl can't safely seek help from a fellow American though. Perhaps a better lesson would be that if you are going to get drunk or stoned, you'd best make provisions to stay where you are so that your bad decisions don't lead to hurting others or to others making bad decisions that hurt you.

As I recall she fled the people trying to help and then stumbled around town for 4 hours.

What has the world come to when you can't get drunk and stoned, crash into a parked car, flee the scene of an accident, stumble around in the night for 4 hours, and then bang on someone's door safely ^_^

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
A couple of things that never made it before the jury:
Mcbride's great aunt lived a couple of blocks away from where the accident occurred and much closer than Wafer's house.
There was a house a few houses down from Wafer's house that was raided by Wayne County Narcotic division several days prior to the incident.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
As I recall she fled the people trying to help and then stumbled around town for 4 hours.

What has the world come to when you can't get drunk and stoned, crash into a parked car, flee the scene of an accident, stumble around in the night for 4 hours, and then bang on someone's door safely ^_^
lol Well - yeah, there is that.

Mcbride's great aunt lived a couple of blocks away from where the accident occurred and much closer than Wafer's house.
There was a house a few houses down from Wafer's house that was raided by Wayne County Narcotic division several days prior to the incident.
Where are you gonna get sympathy and weed when you're stoned, drunk and fleeing an accident, your great aunt's house or your dealer's house? :D

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000

Because technically those aren't really needed items to determine criminal culpability for the homeowner in this case.

If he had said simply that he shot someone that was attempting to break into his house and left it at that, then the prosecution would have to try to prove that McBride was not trying to attempt to enter his house. At which point then that bit of info would have made it into the trial to show why McBride may have been attempting to enter his house to get another score.

But since that isn't what transpired in this case, it's of little relevance overall. The home owner shot on "accident" according to him and not out of defense. Thus, he's criminal culpable for that shooting.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

I wonder why those never made it the jury. /end sarcasm/

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Seems odd that he can be found guilty of manslaughter and murder 2 for the same killing. I thought it was either/or. Overall time seems reasonable though.

Nov 25, 2013
Seems odd that he can be found guilty of manslaughter and murder 2 for the same killing. I thought it was either/or. Overall time seems reasonable though.

Yeah, I'm a bit confused as well. But I also know absolutely nothing about the law so. <shrug> I think the time is fair as well. He's going to be old when (if) he gets out.

EDIT: further searching seems to show that it was 2nd degree murder and the weapons charge only, being reported by some outlets so I'm not sure which it is.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
7-8 years with good behaviour. Less if it's a crowded prison.

Nope, he's doing serious time as he deserves to.

"There are many options in criminal sentencing, and Wafer was sentenced with a combination of determinate and indeterminate sentencing.

Determinate sentences are a punishment with a set amount of years, like Wafer's two-year sentence for felony firearm use. Indeterminate sentences are given as a range of years, with a minimum and maximum amount of time to be served, like Wafer's murder and manslaughter sentences.

When the minimum time in an indeterminate sentence has elapsed -- 15 years in Wafer's case -- a prisoner may then be eligible for parole. This means that Wafer won't be likely to be released on parole for at least another 17 years. He could potentially spend as many as 32 years in prison for killing McBride."

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/20...ars-in-prison-for-renisha-mcbride-murder.html

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
justice is served, I'm glad I'm not a scared paranoid person who's 1st reaction to a knock on my door would be to grab my gun. I enjoy living life and having no such fears. Sucks she had to die over nothing, but at least he'll have potentially 3 decades in prison to think about how fucking stupid he was.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So not a "good shoot"?

That must be quite a surprise to some of our more........"racially aware" members.

Jan 25, 2011
Retried.. reconvicted and sentenced to same time.

17-year sentence sticks for man who killed woman on porch

DETROIT (AP) — A Detroit-area man who said he feared for his life when he fatally shot a young woman on his porch in 2013 was given the same 17-year prison sentence Wednesday at a new hearing ordered by the Michigan Supreme Court.
Ted Wafer was convicted of second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the death of Renisha McBride in Dearborn Heights.

But about halfway through Wafer’s prison term, the Supreme Court in February unanimously threw out the manslaughter conviction, saying he couldn’t be punished twice for the same homicide.
Wayne County Judge Dana Hathaway said the prison sentence won’t change: 15 years for second-degree murder, plus two years for using a gun during a crime, which Wafer has already served. She noted that the murder sentence still was within the scoring guidelines.

Reactions: pcgeek11

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Retried.. reconvicted and sentenced to same time.

17-year sentence sticks for man who killed woman on porch

DETROIT (AP) — A Detroit-area man who said he feared for his life when he fatally shot a young woman on his porch in 2013 was given the same 17-year prison sentence Wednesday at a new hearing ordered by the Michigan Supreme Court.
Ted Wafer was convicted of second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the death of Renisha McBride in Dearborn Heights.

But about halfway through Wafer’s prison term, the Supreme Court in February unanimously threw out the manslaughter conviction, saying he couldn’t be punished twice for the same homicide.
Wayne County Judge Dana Hathaway said the prison sentence won’t change: 15 years for second-degree murder, plus two years for using a gun during a crime, which Wafer has already served. She noted that the murder sentence still was within the scoring guidelines.
indeed, great news. Proof positive not everyone should own a gun

Reactions: pcgeek11