19 Year Old Girl Shot Looking for Help

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...twitter_s_big_day_rob_ford_s_bad_one_and.html
Looking For Answers: ABC News: "Michigan authorities are investigating the death of a young black woman who was shot to death outside a home where her family believes she was seeking help after a car accident. Renisha McBride, 19, was shot and killed early Saturday morning in Dearborn Heights, Mich. McBride's family believes she was going door-to-door looking for help after her car broke down and her cell phone was dead. She was shot as she was leaving the suspect's porch, according to Detroit Pastor W.J. Rideout. ... Police are releasing very few details about McBride's death. Dearborn Heights Lt. James Serwatowski said that she was shot in the head, but said he could not give any more information due to the ongoing investigation. He said reports that McBride was shot in the back of the head while walking off the porch are 'totally inaccurate.' ... Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office spokeswoman Mary Mazur said that McBride suffered a shotgun wound to the head and her death was ruled a homicide."

The Shooter's Story: Detroit Free-Press: "Dearborn Heights police say a homeowner told investigators his shotgun accidentally discharged, hitting Renisha McBride in the face as she stood on his porch. 'This man’s claiming – believed the girl was breaking into the home. And he’s also saying the gun discharged accidentally,' Lt. James Serwatowski, chief detective, said today. ... The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office reiterated today that it is awaiting further investigation by Dearborn Heights police before deciding whether any criminal charges will be authorized in the case. ... The homeowner’s .12-gauge was seized by police and the Michigan State Police crime lab is analyzing it, Serwatowski said."

So should the home owner be arrested? And if so what should he be tried for.

He seems to be simultaneously going for Castle Doctrine and accident. :confused:

So I'm going with at least manslaughter.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
The girl was clearly up to no good and in the wrong neighborhood, so it must have been a good shoot, right? The gun owner is always right, dead men (or women) tell no tales.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The girl was clearly up to no good and in the wrong neighborhood, so it must have been a good shoot, right? The gun owner is always right, dead men (or women) tell no tales.

Sits here and waits for Spatially and Spidey to come in defending the shooter.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
The girl was clearly up to no good and in the wrong neighborhood, so it must have been a good shoot, right? The gun
owner is always right, dead men (or women) tell no tales.

I don't know he said he accidentally discharged his weapon killing her. If he had just said I feared for my life and dragged her inside then righteous shoot. I'm sure this guy fears for his life all the time in fact.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
First, his shotgun "accidentally" discharges...then he tells police he shot her because he thought she was breaking in.

Which one is it?

I fear for anyone who might knock on this dude's door at night.

Who just shoots someone in the face...just like that? With a shotgun...

Sits here and waits for Spatially and Spidey to come in defending the shooter.

Its just going to be the same "What was she wearing?", "She must have been up to no good", "Did she look like a thug?", "One time in my life, I was in a similar situation...", etc.

Last edited:

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
First, his shotgun "accidentally" discharges...then he tells police he shot her because he thought she was breaking in.

Which one is it?

Obviously it's whichever means he doesn't get arrested.

I totally didn't mean to accidentally shoot the person that I totally feared was breaking into my house officer. So I'm good right?

It sucks that so many people think break in if someone knocks on their door at night.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Right? She could have been anybody out there, maybe a neighbor even.

Fear is obviously a big problem with some people. I'm sure we'll see some examples in this thread later.

I would be interested to hear from an NRA gun safety standpoint if this guy did anything wrong......

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Guns outside of very very rare failures do not go off by themselves, so yes he did something wrong... namely pull the trigger when he did not intend to.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Accidental discharge should be considered as very close to intentional discharge IMO.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Who just shoots someone in the face...just like that? With a shotgun...

Well.. there's this guy:

joe-biden-recommends-buying-a-shotgun-when-an-earthquake-strikes-620x350.jpg

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This is eerie. Wasn't there just a story a few weeks back about a black man who was seeking help after a car accident and was shot and killed?

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
He probably thought it was the old "have a girl knock on the door asking for help, then when they open the door, a bunch of guys bum rush into the house and rob and kill the homeowner" trick.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Hmmm. Well if the homeowner is telling the truth then it sounds like things are either justified or tragic. His story is plausible enough:

1. Homeowner thinks someone is breaking in.
2. Homeowner gets shotgun.
3. Homeowner comes to door with shotgun to confront potential intruder, but has poor trigger discipline and has his finger on the trigger.
4. Homeowner is startled by something or stumbles, accidentally pulls trigger.

So I'm going with manslaughter unless someone can suggest a motive for murder. If she was shot in the back of the head then there's no chance it was self defense.

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
Guns outside of very very rare failures do not go off by themselves, so yes he did something wrong... namely pull the trigger when he did not intend to.

No I think you got it wrong. Obviously his shotgun got up, loaded itself, took aim, and pulled its own trigger. Guns are dangerous like that.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Hmmm. Well if the homeowner is telling the truth then it sounds like things are either justified or tragic. His story is plausible enough:

1. Homeowner thinks someone is breaking in.
2. Homeowner gets shotgun.
3. Homeowner comes to door with shotgun to confront potential intruder, but has poor trigger discipline and has his finger on the trigger.
4. Homeowner is startled by something or stumbles, accidentally pulls trigger.

So I'm going with manslaughter unless someone can suggest a motive for murder. If she was shot in the back of the head then there's no chance it was self defense.

This is how I pictured it going down too. I can see her screaming and reacting when a shotgun is pointed at her face, and this might have startled the owner.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
This is how I pictured it going down too. I can see her screaming and reacting when a shotgun is pointed at her face, and this might have startled the owner.

Yeah. They don't say if the shot was to the front or back. Guessing it was the back and it's manslaughter.

On the target, on the trigger. Off the target, off the trigger. Moron.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Yeah. They don't say if the shot was to the front or back. Guessing it was the back and it's manslaughter.

On the target, on the trigger. Off the target, off the trigger. Moron.

Yeah they do:

"Dearborn Heights police say a homeowner told investigators his shotgun accidentally discharged, hitting Renisha McBride in the face as she stood on his porch.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
She was obviously up to no good. Nice kill shot by owner. (waiting for chimes from usual cast of characters.)
f61fcc94d554b1be887070e6727f482b_200x259.jpg

The only way any justification for owner to brandish gun would be if Renisha was looking in/knocking on front window.

McBride's family, through Detroit Pastor W.J. Rideout, went public with the story this week. According to the family, McBride's cell phone was out of batteries that night, and the teenager was likely looking for a house that would let her use a phone to make a call. Neighbors at the scene reportedly overheard cops say that the [/u]homeowner mistook McBride for a burglar[/u]. But police have confirmed almost nothing about McBride's death. It's not even clear at this point whether her shooter will face prosecution. The Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office told Dearborn Heights police to gather more information on the death before the office would consider filing charges. Serwatowski said to the Free Press on Thursday, “I know the family is anxious to see this man (the alleged shooter) charged but the prosecutor’s office is telling us they want a lot more information before they make a decision."

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/nati...oman-looking-help-says-it-was-accident/71380/

So my question is what about her would make homeowner mistake her for burgular?

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
This is eerie. Wasn't there just a story a few weeks back about a black man who was seeking help after a car accident and was shot and killed?

After the truth came out in that case that showed what really happened was not what was reported I believe I'll wait for the "rest of the story" before making a decision on this one.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Shot in the back of the head as she was leaving. Reasonable belief of danger to life or limb not found. Murder.

Seems to be conflicting info, front or back.

Either way if he claimed it was accidental, he's fucked. Accidental = no intention to shoot = no fear for life.

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
If he's telling the truth he should be convicted of manslaughter or something. These guns don't fire without a finger on the trigger, so at the absolute least he was absolutely pointlessly pointing a shotgun in somebody's face. If you're really that scared of a break in you sit behind your door and call the police.

If she was indeed shot in the back of the head, it's murder. You can't even do that with a true legitimate case of burglary.