17th Folding@Home Holiday Race: The race is over and Mark's Marauders win.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
As have been said before in the past, using that software to calculate your PPD is not an accurate way to do so. Looking at your actual points on the stats sites such as EOC Folding Stats that will break it down by the last 13 days, weeks and months is a better indicator of your actual PPD. Since some projects have give vastly more PPD than other projects if you happen to be running a bunch of those projects at the same time while looking at the software then your PPD estimate will be higher while the opposite is true. If you aren't running a lot of those higher PPD tasks then your PPD will be lower.

Take a look at the screenshot I posted above. That's your actual PPD.

But, my point about all this is it doesn't really matter. Its an inner-team race for fun. Who cares if someone sand bagged their PPD; we're all on the same team.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
As have been said before in the past, using that software to calculate your PPD is not an accurate way to do so. Looking at your actual points on the stats sites such as EOC Folding Stats that will break it down by the last 13 days, weeks and months is a better indicator of your actual PPD. Since some projects have give vastly more PPD than other projects if you happen to be running a bunch of those projects at the same time while looking at the software then your PPD estimate will be higher while the opposite is true. If you aren't running a lot of those higher PPD tasks then your PPD will be lower.

Take a look at the screenshot I posted above. That's your actual PPD.

But, my point about all this is it doesn't really matter. Its an inner-team race for fun. Who cares if someone sand bagged their PPD; we're all on the same team.
Except it would be nice to win once in a while . More often than not my team loses due to sandbagging, and I suspect use of the cloud. We lost last year at the last moments. And thats not the first time that has happened.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Except it would be nice to win once in a while . More often than not my team loses due to sandbagging, and I suspect use of the cloud. We lost last year at the last moments. And thats not the first time that has happened.

Not sure what the argument is against the cloud. You rent it, you own it. Legally. If something illegal happens on your home computers. You're accountable. If something happens on a computer/host you're renting guess what? You're accountable. During that period you legally own that hardware.

Additionally, I doubt anyone is bothering to spend money on cloud for a F@H inner-team friendly race.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
It would be interesting to set up a challenge where after stating a PPD you have to get as close to it as possible without going over to get points. Just like "dial-ins" in drag racing. You go over your stated PPD and you get a penalty or no points for the day or something. You could have teams still and participants broken out into brackets based on difficulty (such has having more hardware with it's greater variability, esp with project like f@h).

Just a thought... I continue to try to come up with ideas for twists to make challenges more interesting. Like the Pent did last year.

Reactions: Skillz

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Not sure what the argument is against the cloud. You rent it, you own it. Legally. If something illegal happens on your home computers. You're accountable. If something happens on a computer/host you're renting guess what? You're accountable. During that period you legally own that hardware.

Additionally, I doubt anyone is bothering to spend money on cloud for a F@H inner-team friendly race.
I won't mention names.... But last year someone was doing very little until the last few days, then just blew by everyone. The cloud is fine for teams, but not inter-team IMO. Speaking personally, when I spend money on stuff for a team competition, I assume we all did it. When someone at the last minute uses the cloud to win it, it pisses me off.

In the future I am going to insist on no cloud for inter-team, and if its not agreed upon, I will quit.

And in this case, if you look at the last 20 years, and the world-to-date stats, F@H has been my main contribution for 20 years, and to get beat at it in the last few minutes of an inter--team competition do to the cloud, just pisses me off.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
I know who you're talking about and that person did not use cloud last year. That person used his own hardware. Most of which he probably found in a box on a shelf he lost at one point or another, but it was all his own hardware at home.

He even has a dedicated 220v circuit installed in his garage because he had so much hardware, like you, he wasn't even able to realistically use it all without computers spread all around his house. Unlike you, he didn't live alone and his SO probably wasn't too pleased with a GPU crunching in the bathroom and kitchen. Which is why he didn't run that stuff all the time, until the 220v setup.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I know who you're talking about and that person did not use cloud last year. That person used his own hardware. Most of which he probably found in a box on a shelf he lost at one point or another, but it was all his own hardware at home.

He even has a dedicated 220v circuit installed in his garage because he had so much hardware, like you, he wasn't even able to realistically use it all without computers spread all around his house. Unlike you, he didn't live alone and his SO probably wasn't too pleased with a GPU crunching in the bathroom and kitchen. Which is why he didn't run that stuff all the time, until the 220v setup.
Well, whoever it was, I hope he enjoyed his one week run, pissing off his wife and ruining a year long wait to win a team competition, by the long time leader of the team.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Well, whoever it was, I hope he enjoyed his one week run, pissing off his wife and ruining a year long wait to win a team competition, by the long time leader of the team.

Well during the beginning of the event he was running Prime Grid on those GPUs. ;)

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Used to be run under Sid's rules. Somewhere along the line these were dropped?

Here are the rules:
1: Have fun.
2: Let others have fun.

3: Crunch as much as you can, as often as you can and as efficiently as you can.
4: Assimilating computers, adding members to the teams, and borghing is allowed.
5: (Sid's rule) Whistle while you work; DON'T whistle while you sip.
6: (Sid's rule) No pouting.

Comment: Sid (Insidious) is a member of the TeAm. He has, unfortunately, not been active for quite a few years ... but we keep his two rules anyway.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
My PPD is far higher than my reported 6M, at 8M. I should be about 18M right now, but am at 24M, 33% higher. I am guessing we have an abundance of higher paying tasks at the moment? The week of Dec 18, I averaged 5.7M ppd....

Reactions: cellarnoise

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
My PPD is far higher than my reported 6M, at 8M. I should be about 18M right now, but am at 24M, 33% higher. I am guessing we have an abundance of higher paying tasks at the moment? The week of Dec 18, I averaged 5.7M ppd....
I double checked your numbers and they are correct. Yeah, FAH rewards some Project tasks higher than others so PPD does fluctuate over time.

Reactions: cellarnoise

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Used to be run under Sid's rules. Somewhere along the line these were dropped?

Here are the rules:
1: Have fun.
2: Let others have fun.

3: Crunch as much as you can, as often as you can and as efficiently as you can.
4: Assimilating computers, adding members to the teams, and borghing is allowed.
5: (Sid's rule) Whistle while you work; DON'T whistle while you sip.
6: (Sid's rule) No pouting.

Comment: Sid (Insidious) is a member of the TeAm. He has, unfortunately, not been active for quite a few years ... but we keep his two rules anyway.
I read your post and then did some research on borghing?... Still am lost ;). Though, maybe I've never understood orange now silver hairs.. though I resemble silver now...

Or again, what does it mean in a home d.c. challenge? ;)

Maybe use it in a sentence also. Like " I just borghed Cellarnoise!"... But I don't know if that will get myself a timeout or offend those that should be offended by the borghedness? ;)

Good borghed to you all my teammates!

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I read your post and then did some research on borghing?... Still am lost ;). Though, maybe I've never understood orange now silver hairs.. though I resemble silver now...

Or again, what does it mean in a home d.c. challenge? ;)

Maybe use it in a sentence also. Like " I just borghed Cellarnoise!"... But I don't know if that will get myself a timeout or offend those that should be offended by the borghedness? ;)

Good borghed to you all my teammates!
I believe it means to fold on a computer that is owned by someone else with or without their permission or knowledge. I strongly recommend you get their permission of course. Maybe @petrusbroder knows the etiology (swedish?) of the word. Perhaps it's related to the borg (prepare for assimilation. resistance is futile)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I believe it means to fold on a computer that is owned by someone else with or without their permission or knowledge. I strongly recommend you get their permission of course. Maybe @petrusbroder knows the etiology (swedish?) of the word. Perhaps it's related to the borg (prepare for assimilation. resistance is futile)

biodoc, it is. Resistance is futile ...
The word was used many times when some DC-crunchers (as far as I know not in TeAm AnandTech) installed DC-software in computers of unsuspecting others without obtaining permission. That behavior was harshly judged and condamned and is - IMHO - not only unethical but also theft of elecrtical power. Sometimes it is spelled "borghing", at other times "borging"

Just my 2 cents ... ;-)

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
As I recall, someone famously lost their job because they installed, Seti I think, on Company computers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Assimilator1

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
In the simpler times of single-core machines and CPU-only tasks, it took a lot of computers to really move the needle. Now the addition of just one 4090 could radically change the balance.

Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

May 16, 2002
In the simpler times of single-core machines and CPU-only tasks, it took a lot of computers to really move the needle. Now the addition of just one 4090 could radically change the balance.
I was there on release day and one second in, tried to hit buy at MSRP. Nope... Still waiting for MSRP. If it happens I will get one.