13 students charged with Felony Computer trespass with school issued laptops 8-9-05

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ssvegeta1010

Platinum Member
Nov 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Wiz
Each of my children is a unique individual. None of them act exactly like any of their siblings, because they truly are each different and they each have their own set of talents, gifts, abilities and disabilities.

Thanks you for realizing that. I have a friend who gets very good grades (As and a few Bs), but her parents judge her sister according to her grades. Her sister gets some As, mostly Bs and a few Cs, which are still good grades for academic classes, but her sister gets pushed by her parents to do as well as her. They need to realize that children are individuals and try to judge what they do only when compared to their previous work.

They must also BE children, chase the dog, play with their friends on a summer day, paint with watercolors, learn to swim, get odd jobs to buy their teen friends a bunch of pizzas, go out to movies, go on dates, learn to drive, etc etc etc...

Exactly. Most people do not realize this. Most people also realize that children need to experience some mistakes. Parents just have to keep it so that they learn from the mistake, but are not hurt or arrested for the mistake. They must keep the child from doing extreme things, such as breaking laws, but every child needs a few scares. They need to get punished, then realize that the next time that they think about breaking a rule. Schools seem to be extremely strict now. Just last year, me and a few of my friends spent all of our study hall's in the library doing homework. Although we socialized, we did get work done. The librarians saw us as a threat to everyone else quiet (although many others were being even more disruptive than we were). Therefore, me and my friends (me, my cousin, and one of my friends composing the Top 3 in academics of our grade), were kicked out of the library. Do I think we should have been allowed to stay? Maybe. I would have been fine with us getting kicked out, if the said offending groups were kicked also. If schools wish to have these policies, they should try to enforce them properly, then they would realize that zero-tolerance policies are too drastic, and properly enforcing more relaxed rules could give a better overall effect.

Onto the subject of IT, they should employ knowledgable people. This may or may not apply in this case, but at my school, librarians have the ability to rule over computers that they have no idea how to use. Thank god the man who teaches the computer classes is good enough to help the rest of the school.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: mondobyte
This has been an eye-openner for me ...
I am, indeed, a network administrator for several schools.
I will do the AUP correctly and have the students AND parents sign it ...
I will stand behind administration efforts to keep the network up and running ...
I hope that the superintendents of the schools involved will press charges for egregious student behaviour.
These students got off cheap ... hope they realize how cheap.
I DO agree with felony charges against minors when they scoff at the rules and attempt to beat me. I follow best practices but in spite of that, if a student bests me ... that clearly signals contempt and intent.
These students should treasure the windfall and clean up the actions ....
And -- I would never consider taping the administrator password to any computer ...

mondobyte - I completely agree with your position, perhaps because I too am a network administrator for an environment with both internal customers(staff) and external customers(library patrons). And I do agree these kids(and their parents) got off WAY easier than either I'd like or what the law states. The next offense that occurs should be dealt with severely.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Originally posted by: networkman
The next offense that occurs should be dealt with severely.

Unfortunately, this WAS the next offense. They had been "disciplined" before....

Instead of a slap on the wrist, there should have been a serious kick to the azz

-Sid

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Unfortunately, this WAS the next offense. They had been "disciplined" before....

Instead of a slap on the wrist, there should have been a serious kick to the azz

-Sid

Sorry, but I disagree. This wasn't the next step. They went from in-school detentions to felony charges. What happened to taking the laptops away from them, what happened to threats of expulsion and follow through?

There were many steps that still could have been taken without resorting to calling in the police and felony charges that would have been more than a slap on the wrist.

I'm not justifying what they did, just think it could have been handled a LOT better.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Insidious
Originally posted by: networkman
The next offense that occurs should be dealt with severely.

-Sid

Sorry, I should've explained better. Indeed, I understand that steps were taken within the realm of school system proper, and that, yes, the kids did indeed go beyond that to the realm of the legal system. My point is that now that they've had to face the legal system and lucked out in the extreme, any further violations(2nd time in the legal realm) should be dealt with severely.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
The main thing that gets me in this whole thing is that the students were FORCED to use the laptops or they couldn't go to school. And then the teachers and such would spy on everything they did. How wrong is that... Of course it all started with the fact that apaprently no one in the school district had any idea about how a computer works or they'd have had far better security in place from the beginning.