Nope, it's also a strobe backlight too. It says so in the EIZO FG2421 manual, page 18.
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck -- it's a strobe backlight, just like LightBoost (unofficial) and G-SYNC's upcoming low-persistence mode (official).
- It beat G-SYNC to official announcement
- LightBoost is unofficial.
So yep, this is the first official modern vendor-sanctioned LightBoost-like mode intentionally to reduce motion blur. (I'm assuming Eizo is also sending AnandTech a review unit too. Eizo is also sending me a review unit as well). BENQ did come out with AMA-Z in year 2006 and others, which attempted to use backlight modulation to reduce motion blur, but those were horribly inefficient (Why? Explanation at TFT Central about how today's strobe backlights are more efficient).
2014 is an exciting year of low-persistence strobe-mode monitors!
LightBoost modes. G-SYNC modes. Turbo 240 modes. And possibly other brand names of strobe backlights.
You may check out the display that looper linked: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_fg2421.htm
It is 120hz with a pulsing backlight system, but instead of a TN panel, it is a VA panel. The bad news is it probably won't ever get a kit for G-sync, like the VG248QE.
It's a tough call. But once you've tried 120Hz, most people never go back. Some people aren't as sensitive to motion, but many are sufficiently sensitive that this becomes the new norm for them. See this:Trying to decide between the Eizo and the Dell P2414H which also got a pretty good review on tft central and it's only $220 on Amazon right now with 5 left in stock. I've always used IPS monitors for gaming and never really noticed blurring/ghosting that much so I'm not sure if it's worth $600 for the Eizo....really wish I could test it out first. Also thinking of waiting until next month, new Dell Ultrasharp line will be out and the bezel is super thin, the panel is probably going to be the same as the p2414h though so no difference in performance if so.....
It's a tough call. But once you've tried 120Hz, most people never go back. Some people aren't as sensitive to motion, but many are sufficiently sensitive that this becomes the new norm for them. See this:
Blind Test Suggests Gamers Overwhelmingly Prefer 120Hz
88% of gamers could tell the difference in a random blind test. And that's not even strobe-backlight based either, either.
it's been about 8 years since i've looked at monitor hardware. for heavy fps gaming on a limited budget are those ips monitors good?
Not theoretical.some theoretical gain in response time anytime of a day.
1. See for yourself with your eyes at www.testufo.com/eyetracking
GtG is not the cause of motion blur anymore; persistence is the main cause.
2. Can you successfully pass the TestUFO Panning Map Test?
If you can read the street name labels, your display passes.
3. A scientific blind test show that 88% of gamers overwhelmingly prefer 120Hz from 60Hz [article on TechReport]
As a general rule of thumb:
60Hz -- baseline
120Hz -- 50% less motion blur
strobed -- 80-95% less motion blur (Passes TestUFO panning map test)
So, definitely not "theoretical"...
Why? It's not a Yes/No test -- does the eye tracking animation produce an Error 404? Or are you using a non-LCD display such as CRT? Or older LCD (those will not produce the correct optical illusion on that motion test). Do you have a stutter free web browser? (Aero ON, primary monitor only, VSYNC-supported browser). This test pattern seems to works for about ~80% of humans, the remaining 20% either has browser problems or has a vision behaviour (e.g. diffent motion psychotropics) that makes their vision deviate from the norm.1. No i can't.
Correct, it's not possible on most IPS displays. But try again on a CRT, and you can.2. No i can't.
Fair comment, depending on what is defined as "science" nowadays. It is still more scientific than most "science" being done nowadays. It's sad how public research has declined. However, that aside, let's touch base on a few fundamental concepts, to at least point out it is not a theory.3. The "blindtest" was setup by a monitor company AOC fyi. Hardly scientific. Not even considering it was only 50 people. Hardly a slamdunk.
That I disagree. Unless you mean anything less than "five sigma" is a theory. Then I give up arguing with you.It still is theoretical.
That I agree.Depends on many factors, age, room lighting, contacts, etc.
.... I just went from a non-strobbing (Acer HN274H) to a strobbing 120 Hz monitor (Eizo FG2421).....
I wish I could find more info on the strobe rate of the xl2720z. Mark twittered that it was variable. Hopefully that means I can make strobe rate=frame rate without a SLI setup on modern titles. Was looking into a Ezio, but no way I'm hitting 120fps.