Question 10G non-blocking switch for WiFi 11ax communications

natiya2

Feb 12, 2020
I want to connect a test device to send traffic WiFi 802.11ax so I'm looking for a switch with the following specs:

• Switch 10G copper
• Wire Speed, non-blocking’ switch
• Number of ports: Minimum number of non-blocking ports (I only need 4 ports at the moment)

Also, my budget is a bit limited, so please bear that in mind too :)

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Are you wanting new equipment? Otherwise if you're budget minded (just what is this number exactly?) you may be better off buying old, loud 1st and second gen 10gb equipment. Additionally, do the ports *need* to be copper? Lot more cheap equipment out there with SFP+ cages than copper ports. Can any of the equipment being discussed used DAC cables instead? If some ports must be copper, do they *all* need to be copper, or can some be DACs?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
OK.

Here is blocking vs non-blocking switches.

I guess all gigabit switches should be non-blocking now, or am I mistaken?

No idea about 10G switches.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
OK.

MS510TX Spec
Switching fabric - 78 Gbps line rate
(4 gigabit ports, 2 x 2.5 Gbps ports, 2 x 5 Gbps ports and 2 10 Gbps) times 2 = 78 Gbps

so it's non blocking.

XS505M

Bandwidth 100Gbps, (5 x10Gbps times 2) is also non blocking.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
my budget is a bit limited,

uhh... and you want a 10G copper switch.

Sorry thats like asking for a cheap hypercar.... meaning cheap probably already blew right past your budget by several magnitudes.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, unfortunately, "cheap" and "10G copper (i.e. 10gbase-t)" do not mix. You are still looking at a few hundred for 6-8 year old 10Gbase-t gear which have 10-15x the power draw and and equal 10-15x the latency of network gear that you would be typically accustomed to using. I think netgear has a 5-port switch (well 4x copper+1 SPF+) for around $350. Dell has one for around $450, but at that price there are Mikrotek switches in the $500-600 range which are better. If you hunt ebay, you can get first gen switches that companies are starting to dump used in the $300-500 range (these are typically 12-24 port but as stated, as power hungry as a typical computer with high latency and also several years of use/end of life/no support).

Most people who have 10gig are using SFP+ which are much cheaper, but not really compatible with copper cabling that people might have in a house, and instead rely on using cheap twinax/dac cables (so they don't need to spend $50-60 for a transceiver in both the network card and switch). There are now relatively cheap ($70 per port, which is a LOT better than the $200 that they were a year or two ago) 10gbase-t copper SFP+ transceivers, however almost all exceed the power draw specs for the SFP+ port on the switch and will run "hot" potentially damaging your switch.

Last edited:

natiya2

Feb 12, 2020
Are you wanting new equipment? Otherwise if you're budget minded (just what is this number exactly?) you may be better off buying old, loud 1st and second gen 10gb equipment. Additionally, do the ports *need* to be copper? Lot more cheap equipment out there with SFP+ cages than copper ports. Can any of the equipment being discussed used DAC cables instead? If some ports must be copper, do they *all* need to be copper, or can some be DACs?
yes, we need copper but if the equipment is second hand, that's ok too. Thanks!

natiya2

Feb 12, 2020
Non-blocking means that each port is capable of sending and receiving traffic at wire speed (the maximum speed of the interface) to and from any other port. A non-blocking switch is capable of doing this on all ports at once.