100,000 miles for AT

Page 156 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
... Another thing to mention is that asphalt is actually softer than concrete, enough to actually make a difference. So if you are able to run on the road instead of the sidewalk without getting run over, that could even help a bit too...

I'm not sure that asphalt is 'softer' then concrete when only the weight/force of a runner is applied. I personally think that it is the 'rougher' surface of the asphalt that allow the shoes to absorb more energy and therefore reduce impact.

I think that with the tiny peaks, the shoe is only initially contacting a small portion of surface area and then contacting more area exponentially (as the peaks widen to their bases). I think that it is the 'flatness' of concrete that forces all of the impact to occur in less time that makes it so jarring. Of course, you could have really flat asphalt and/or really rough concrete, so it'd be hard to even get an apples-to-apples comparison. Again, just personal opinions, and I am not disagreeing with the overall statement. Any thoughts?

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I think the composition of the blacktop gives it more give than concrete. Concrete is dense stuff.

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
I'm not sure that asphalt is 'softer' then concrete when only the weight/force of a runner is applied. I personally think that it is the 'rougher' surface of the asphalt that allow the shoes to absorb more energy and therefore reduce impact.

I think that with the tiny peaks, the shoe is only initially contacting a small portion of surface area and then contacting more area exponentially (as the peaks widen to their bases). I think that it is the 'flatness' of concrete that forces all of the impact to occur in less time that makes it so jarring. Of course, you could have really flat asphalt and/or really rough concrete, so it'd be hard to even get an apples-to-apples comparison. Again, just personal opinions, and I am not disagreeing with the overall statement. Any thoughts?

I recognize who started this talk...

I posted in another thread that I had to stop for roughly two weeks due to plantar fasciitis. It was getting out of hand.
My morning exercise consisted of doing HIIT for roughly 3 miles and it was done on concrete.

When I came back, I figured I could not continue pounding the concrete so I decided to start easier by starting the C5k program at week 6 and try to break my foot back into it.

I have started taking another route which has more asphalt. Unfortunately, I'd run on the road but the space is tight and I'd be worried about getting hit by a car.

So far it has made some difference, my foot is doing ok. I still get pain here and there but not like I was getting it when I had to stop.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Any ATers going to add 26 today? :p

Ran NYC. 3:39:04. Had no idea going into it that it was the "toughest" of the majors...I did plenty of hill work but pulled myself back. In all reality, I probably should have shaved another 3 minutes off my total time had I executed like I should. Can't go back and change it now though.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Ran NYC. 3:39:04. Had no idea going into it that it was the "toughest" of the majors...I did plenty of hill work but pulled myself back. In all reality, I probably should have shaved another 3 minutes off my total time had I executed like I should. Can't go back and change it now though.
Good work Mel. :thumbsup:

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
5 miles tonight. Ran the trails with my red LEDs on instead of the normal white ones. Very surreal. My ribs felt fine, it was my groin that bothered me today. I am SO psyched to be back at it guys.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Sheesh.. It's been 2 weeks since I posted. 18 miles for those 2 weeks. Didn't get to run at all yesterday, but I did bike for 17+ miles, so I don't feel bad at all. Again I didn't make it for 4 miles straight today, I walked a bit somewhere around mile 3. But, I did start running again pretty soon and then took my dog out for a 1.5mile walk and (2) two tenths runs (she helps me with speed work). All in all a good day.

+18

bhanson

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2004
+26.2

Finished a marathon. Oh my god. I was under-trained and that was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I almost had a mental breakdown at mile 16. If it wasn't for the people cheering and presence of the other runners I doubt I would have finished.

I screwed something up and had stomach problems. I was thirsty the entire time and it felt like my stomach was full so I couldn't drink or eat anything. When I tried to take gu it almost made me throw up. In hindsight I think I should have just induced vomiting but instead I did my best to tolerate that feeling for 20 miles.

This experience was very humbling. That the elite runners can cover this distance in <2:10 is amazing. Today was a little warm I think, it was almost 70 before we even started. The winner did 2:28.

I have the utmost respect for everyone that gets out there and lines up at the starting line, especially the normal everyday people. A guy did the full wearing his army gear in honor of another soldier. Another finished with a huge leg cast. Then there was the family member pushing someone in a wheel chair &#224; la Dick and Rick Hoyt.

Spectacular.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Congrats bhanson! Was this your first marathon? Many people screw up their hydration and fueling in the first several of their longer races. It takes a lot of experimentation to get it down right. You'll do better next time.

Speaking of hot races, my first 50 mile race attempt was a July 4th weekend affair. It was almost 80 at the start and got up to almost 100 that day. I wound up having to stop at the 50K point due to time cutoff, I just couldn't perform in the heat. But the more you train in the heat the better you do in any climate.