Zero calorie sweetner linked to heart disease, blood clotting and strokes new study finds.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Erythritol found in zero calorie sweetners is linked to blood clotting, strokes and heart attacks study finds.

What concerns me are the sugar substitutes and other additives found in our foods today. We don't know the long term effects on the human body.

For example, how will zero calorie drinks and snacks play out in the long term. Say, 20-30 years later.

This is concerning:
“If your blood level of erythritol was in the top 25% compared to the bottom 25%, there was about a two-fold higher risk for heart attack and stroke. It’s on par with the strongest of cardiac risk factors, like diabetes,” Hazen said. “There appears to be a clotting risk from using erythritol,” Freeman said. “Obviously, more research is needed, but in an abundance of caution, it might make sense to limit erythritol in your diet for now.”

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Key with erythritol is that it is unmetabolized and well...it seems that it reacts in within certain environmental parameters(maybe still eating a junky, possibly starchy diet) to cause harm.

Looks more and more than the likes of xylitol or mannitol are the only ways to go, and those have limits before the bowels start releasing diarrhea. .

Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The modern day Aspartame! I think that's just a carcinogen, though. I don't think it caused heart or blood issues.

Jul 27, 2020
Looks more and more than the likes of xylitol or mannitol are the only ways to go, and those have limits before the bowels start releasing diarrhea. .
Nope. They disturb the microbiome balance. I used to chew Xylitol gum at least three times a day (6g per day) due to its benefits for oral health. The body itself also produces around 15g internally and it is supposed to help the immune cells. I wonder if the Xylitol I took eventually caused me to get diabetes coz glucose intolerance has been linked to disturbance in gut bacterial populations too. One way fasting helps is that it allows the gut to reset its microbiome (not fully. I wouldn't say my gut is the best but I think fasting helped it enough to weed out most of the bad bacteria).

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Nope. They disturb the microbiome balance. I used to chew Xylitol gum at least three times a day (6g per day) due to its benefits for oral health. The body itself also produces around 15g internally and it is supposed to help the immune cells. I wonder if the Xylitol I took eventually caused me to get diabetes coz glucose intolerance has been linked to disturbance in gut bacterial populations too. One way fasting helps is that it allows the gut to reset its microbiome (not fully. I wouldn't say my gut is the best but I think fasting helped it enough to weed out most of the bad bacteria).
The mice study article I saw looked at other sweeteners to show the microbiome shift. Xylitol wasn't names. What I do know is too much is going to release the bowels in a watery brown diarrhea.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
The study, published in the journal Nature Medicine, found that a sugar replacement called erythritol causes blood clots in the body.
“The degree of risk was not modest,” lead study author Dr. Stanley Hazen, director of the Center for Cardiovascular Diagnostics and Prevention at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute, said, CNN reported.
Moreover, the risk was double for people with existing heart disease risk factors, such as diabetes, if they had higher levels of erythritol in their blood, according to the study.
“If your blood level of erythritol was in the top 25% compared to the bottom 25%, there was about a two-fold higher risk for heart attack and stroke. It’s on par with the strongest of cardiac risk factors, like diabetes,” Hazen said.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Found this interesting article...
However, there is one major caveat to most sugar alcohols: They can cause digestive issues.
Due to their unique chemical structure, your body can’t digest them, and they pass unchanged through most of your digestive system, until they reach your colon.
In your colon, they’re fermented by the resident bacteria, which produce gas as a byproduct.
Consequently, eating large amounts of sugar alcohols may cause bloating and digestive upset. In fact, they belong to a category of fiber known as FODMAPs.
However, erythritol is different from the other sugar alcohols. Most of it gets absorbed into your bloodstream before it reaches your colon

Edit: I suspected the newer protein bars I was trying out were sweetened with this, and yep, sure enough. Fortunately I already hadn't planned to continue buying them once my stock is depleted. I doubt what I have left is likely to give me any issues, given my good current cardiovascular health.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Well now, things are not exactly as what is "framed" for the laypeople and even some intellectuals/brighter minds to digest.

The influencers though, which are the journalists and the initiating "scientists"... have their battle in the economic plane. D, aka demand for erythritol is going to taaaank. Just like Sephiroth stiking that Masamune in Aerith's(it's the same pronunciation) heart.

So, if the elevated incidence of heart attacks were in people basically on the precipie of metabolic disaster...then this pentose pathway could very well be the body's last gasp of trying to maintain homeostasis from someone downing tons of sugar and fat by producing a chemical with no metabolic activity in the bloodstream at the expense of clotting risk increasing.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I saw something similar. This concerns me somewhat. Apparently erythritol is a component in most artificial sweeteners. I've used Spenda (or sucralose) as my primary sweetener for 20 years. I actually prefer it to sugar.

Oh, and BTW...repost:

I merged the 2 threads. Next time, just report the repost and we can fix things.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: IGBT

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
I saw something similar. This concerns me somewhat. Apparently erythritol is a component in most artificial sweeteners. I've used Spenda (or sucralose) as my primary sweetener for 20 years. I actually prefer it to sugar.

Oh, and BTW...repost:
I moved away from sugar and ALL sweeteners 20+ years ago...I don't use any of them. I enjoy and embrace the natural sweetness in foods that the "sweetener" industry deprived us of by foisting the "sweetness paradigm" on the public / consumer. You don't need it...any of it. The "sweetness paradigm" from sugar on to the rest of it it responsible for disease and metabolic syndrome...improve your health...reject the industry sponsored "sweetness paradigm"...

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I actually got rid of my no sugar french toast syrup and replaced it with fresh maple syrup. Lets look at the difference. The no sugar syrup was manufactured in a factory. Maple syrup has nutrients, and its produced NATURALLY. Not in a lab. True, there is about 24g of sugar at 2tbsp but if you keep your sugar content about 30-40g its not a big deal. And, its natural sugar. I also replaced Quaker Oats with organic oats from Bob's Red Mill. Countless studies on Quaker Oats has found trace amounts of Glyphosate. Otherwise known as Roundup. A very toxic chemical that I want no part in my diet anymore. I also got rid of Crystal Light and rerplaced it with clean filtered water. Clean water is better than toxic Chemical Light, which was formed in a lab? Who would had guessed? I've also got rid of many other items that are labeled "sugar free." Toxic junk food as far as I'm concerned. That includes diet Coke, Coke Zero, sugar free Minute Maid, etc.

Why am I doing this? Because the evidence is showing that all of our health issues start to form in the gut. You want a healthy body? Keep your gut healthy. By injesting sugar free foods, those sugar substitutes which were develpoed in a lab cause tremoundous harm to the gut and the bacteria that reside there. So many of our health issues in this country can be eliminated by focusing on foods that help nourish the bacteria in our gut. Foods like kimchi, leafy greens, fruits like blueberrries, brocolli, spinach, etc.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
As posted in the other thread, the study doesn't go as far as what the journalists put in the headlines.

Namely, erythritol consumption was not measured.

The first video guy comes from different tracks than the second but both mention the same issues.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

My husband uses Splenda - the original granulated and the yellow packets and neither of them contain erythritol .

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
My husband uses Splenda - the original granulated and the yellow packets and neither of them contain erythritol .
Most of the historical artificial sweeteners now seem to be no more "healthy" than sugar. The problem with erythritol is that with the no-sugar and keto diet fads so strong, a lot of snacks and drinks have these sugar alcohols (or sucralose). So people are starting to consume a lot without realizing it, or realizing a potential for heart disease risk.

Stevia, monk fruit and allulose are natural and probably/maybe okay but we don't have high quality studies to know at this point. I consume only about a teaspoon of erythritol with coffee daily. I won't throw it out, but I won't be buying any more either.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Most of the historical artificial sweeteners now seem to be no more "healthy" than sugar. The problem with erythritol is that with the no-sugar and keto diet fads so strong, a lot of snacks and drinks have these sugar alcohols (or sucralose). So people are starting to consume a lot without realizing it, or realizing a potential for heart disease risk.

Stevia, monk fruit and allulose are natural and probably/maybe okay but we don't have high quality studies to know at this point. I consume only about a teaspoon of erythritol with coffee daily. I won't throw it out, but I won't be buying any more either.

I just got rid of Crystal light which I was drinking a lot. I'm now drinking water. I also threw out no sugar french toast syrup for 100% maple syrup. A little bit of natural sugar is perfectly fine. I got rid of my Quaker oats because of the small traces of glyphosate found in all Quaker products, and have instead opted for organic oats. I also got rid of most plastics and only use glass and metal. That includes my water and protein shaker bottles.

It all goes back to our gut microbiome. There is current studies that suggest that when the gut microbiome is out of wack, this is when illness, depression, and anxiety happen.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Nasty stuff. I fell into the fad of using equal or sweet n low in the 90s for a short while, revolting stuff that crap, but it's how I met my ex wife. Looking back that was likely a sign from a higher being that I should have avoided that woman. We get on like a house on fire as friends, but as soul mates... even jesus would have re-risen to tell us to divorce.

I actually got rid of my no sugar french toast syrup and replaced it with fresh maple syrup. Lets look at the difference. The no sugar syrup was manufactured in a factory. Maple syrup has nutrients, and its produced NATURALLY. Not in a lab. True, there is about 24g of sugar at 2tbsp but if you keep your sugar content about 30-40g its not a big deal. And, its natural sugar. I also replaced Quaker Oats with organic oats from Bob's Red Mill. Countless studies on Quaker Oats has found trace amounts of Glyphosate. Otherwise known as Roundup. A very toxic chemical that I want no part in my diet anymore. I also got rid of Crystal Light and rerplaced it with clean filtered water. Clean water is better than toxic Chemical Light, which was formed in a lab? Who would had guessed? I've also got rid of many other items that are labeled "sugar free." Toxic junk food as far as I'm concerned. That includes diet Coke, Coke Zero, sugar free Minute Maid, etc.

Why am I doing this? Because the evidence is showing that all of our health issues start to form in the gut. You want a healthy body? Keep your gut healthy. By injesting sugar free foods, those sugar substitutes which were develpoed in a lab cause tremoundous harm to the gut and the bacteria that reside there. So many of our health issues in this country can be eliminated by focusing on foods that help nourish the bacteria in our gut. Foods like kimchi, leafy greens, fruits like blueberrries, brocolli, spinach, etc.
Maple syrup as you buy it is heavily processed to be like that.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The sugar industry sponsor this study or what? It's based on a group already at high risk, making it sus from the start. I am filing this with the eleventy billion other studies on everything being bad for you, then good for you, then bad for you again. Rinse and repeat, depending on what outcome the sponsors are looking for.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Sugar is always the same, and thus bad in frequent amounts and high amounts.

The "natural" sugar foods usually have "implicit behind the veil actions" that involve blocking it, inhibiting its uptake, spreading out its load, etc. Natural sugar isn't different, but it's combined with obstructive components to mitigate some of its effects. For the most part, natural sugar foods leads people to thing about to natural sweets, many of which were domesticated from wild ancestors to become sweet or in the case of honey, make more reliably and safely to humans.

Thus, there is an intellectual "one foot in, one foot out" with regards to it, in which there is a vested interest by the "powers that be" and their "puppets"(nutrition scientists receiving grants) in wanting people to keep eating foods with it but at the same time not denying its harms. That's why going "all the way" to elimination or "severe" restriction are called "fad diets", such as Keto or low carb. Maybe to the usual bigger bodied people, 50gs of whatever carbs is truly enough to stay in ketosis. For me, it's more than half of my maximum threshold before I start feel carb neuropathy.

At best, "natural sugar" is an implicit heuristic for communicating with the non-expert, since getting too complex can cause confusion. But it sure isn't perfect and exploits the "naturalistic fallacy".

The current guidelines for added sugar limits were not willingly agreed to, but rather a "counterdogma" resulting from the work of the likes of Robert Lustig(who strongly says no added sugar, but also encourages whole fiber intake of both and insoluble and soluble varieties) and others.

Now, with that said, trace ingredients can have a significant effect even in a very sugary product, but intake has to be judicious so the negatives of sugar don't outweigh the positives. Of note to me, and probably the "lesson-giver" of an experience was the effect of eating lychee fruit on chemo-induced gastritis on my mother. The gut did not respond to Imodium or Pepto, nor a variety of other foods(ranging from the likes of fish to bread, and many things in between), but consumption of lychee fruit caused complete cessation of the colitis diarrhea for a few hours. My mother is prediabetic, so any sugary food causes hestiation, but she has less regard for ceasing sugar or glucose control than I do, so she ate them anyway.

Now me personally, I'm a "cold" and unfeeling person in the regards to terms like "natural", "healthy", etc. Food still remains a batch of chemicals to me, and it annoys me to no end when people make appeals to nature. The words detox and cleanse are couple auto-eyerollers. Probably a bit of a loss for me for my first 30 years, but it's useful for wading through the nonsense that is ever present in nutrition advocacy.
e "lesson-giver" of an experience was t

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
WHAT IS AN ADI?
The acceptable daily intake, or ADI, is the average daily intake over a lifetime that is expected to be safe for human consumption based on significant research.9 It is derived by determining the no-observed-adverse-effect-level, or NOAEL, which is the highest intake level found to have no adverse effects in lifetime studies in animal models, divided by 100.10 Setting the ADI 100 times lower than the upper level found to have no adverse effects in toxicology studies adds a margin of safety that helps ensure that human intakes will be safe

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
WHAT IS AN ADI?
The acceptable daily intake, or ADI, is the average daily intake over a lifetime that is expected to be safe for human consumption based on significant research.9 It is derived by determining the no-observed-adverse-effect-level, or NOAEL, which is the highest intake level found to have no adverse effects in lifetime studies in animal models, divided by 100.10 Setting the ADI 100 times lower than the upper level found to have no adverse effects in toxicology studies adds a margin of safety that helps ensure that human intakes will be safe
Seems like the best course of action is to get over the need for sweet and embrace the natural sweetness in foods and beverages rather then risk the down stream hazards of any and all sweeteners.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Nasty stuff. I fell into the fad of using equal or sweet n low in the 90s for a short while, revolting stuff that crap, but it's how I met my ex wife. Looking back that was likely a sign from a higher being that I should have avoided that woman. We get on like a house on fire as friends, but as soul mates... even jesus would have re-risen to tell us to divorce.

Maple syrup as you buy it is heavily processed to be like that.

Depends on the maple syrup. I buy the 100% pure dark maple syrup. Its loaded with at least 24 antioxidants. And yea, the sugar is high. My maple syrup is 24g per 2Tbsp, but I severly limit my sugar intake to less than 40g a day. And, IMO within a full day of eating whole foods, I don't believe its really bad. Some sugar is perfectly fine. The issue are the added sugars within processed foods. Eliminate processed foods and the 24g of natural sugars shouldn't be an issue. Especially if you work out every day, intermittent fast 3-5 days a week, etc.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Depends on the maple syrup. I buy the 100% pure dark maple syrup. Its loaded with at least 24 antioxidants. And yea, the sugar is high. My maple syrup is 24g per 2Tbsp, but I severly limit my sugar intake to less than 40g a day. And, IMO within a full day of eating whole foods, I don't believe its really bad. Some sugar is perfectly fine. The issue are the added sugars within processed foods. Eliminate processed foods and the 24g of natural sugars shouldn't be an issue. Especially if you work out every day, intermittent fast 3-5 days a week, etc.

Your post doesn't make much sense. All maple syrup has antioxidants and minerals. I say highly processed because it's filtered for large impurities and then cooked over low indirect heat for days. Maple sap is like an off clear mildly sweet water. Nutritious if you're lost in the woods and come across someone's catch can for it. Takes something like 14 gallons of sap to make a little more than a gallon of maple syrup as you know it. Taste and grading comes down to when the sap was harvested.

When I was a child we had family friends at the time who would grow birch and make syrup from the sap. I've only had it about twice here in the US, but they'd give our family a decent container of it back when we lived in the uk. Birch syrup is still very rare because it requires way more sap to be cooked down than maple. I had to google the figure but it's 110 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. It's very expensive if you can find it in stores. A 16 oz bottle will run you about $90 for an early season and the price goes down later in the season as the quality goes down. The third syrup I've seen a few times in my life has been sweet sorghum syrup. I've seen sorghum a few times in pearled format in shops but I don't know how to cook it besides to a porridge state.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
The sugar industry sponsor this study or what? It's based on a group already at high risk, making it sus from the start. I am filing this with the eleventy billion other studies on everything being bad for you, then good for you, then bad for you again. Rinse and repeat, depending on what outcome the sponsors are looking for.
As a diabetic, I try to avoid artificial sweeteners. I drink mostly water and occasionally cranberry juice. I rarely have a diet drink. I am not surprised there are issues with some sweeteners.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Care to tell me how does the sugar in maple syrup behave differently from added sugar in other liquid or even solid vehicles? Unlike other foods, there is no fiber binding it in a complex in the food matrix. There is apparently no amylase inhibitor like in some berries.

Because I can ground down a multivitamin and mix it into a cup of water and 24g sugar....and get a tonic more nutritious than maple syrup.

To an extent, powder from a lab does help health. Now, it's part of a culture of keeping the populace from learning what to fix in diets, but it is a cheap fix. People don't get iodine, add it to salt(along with a little glucose to expand appetite and thus demand for food).

People don't eat veggies or organ meats? Add folic acid to avoid infant tragedies(and maybe get more older people to get colon cancer)

People don't get enough sun or eat liver? Add vitamins A and D to milk. Even better, in the past, neglect whole milk and add D only to low fat or no fat milk.