ZEN ES Benchmark from french hardware Magazine

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
They said its beta piece they benched, that means they haven't gotten the review finish sample processors. That means their benchmarks are fake! They probably did an estimation from the benches that we did get from amd.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
So, this is good news since AMD managed to get back to the game, despite using an inferior node process.

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
slower then an i5 6600 on games, good job amd.

Yes i understand the frequency is lower, is unoptimized or whatever your going to say guys but theres is no excuse at this point...it is clear as hell that this chip wont be the gamers choice unless they price it lower then $200 which is unlikely..

Might be good for other tasks tho..

You do realize that you are arguing with AMD PR people?! They reside on every forum and use a number of various disinformation tricks to mislead or prove people who make valid statements wrong. So that it wont affect the sales of a product. Pretty typical these days.

Look what happened to the guy on guru3d who decided to tell the ~power draw of 490x, made the right statements, ect... but got banned: reason- trolling. Which is laughable to say the least. PR people are paid to sit and monitor forums, the whole schema was uploaded to net a while ago...

Trolling is not allowed
We do not need your conspiracy theories here, this is a technical forum. Take your theories to OT
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Arachnotronic

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Either you don't know what the word "fake" means or its definition has changed from when I went to school...

I'm gonna go with the former.

- There still is is little possibility that it is fake, remember clickbait, clicks are money. I dont believe it is (fake) but ill keep the door open.

So, this is good news since AMD managed to get back to the game, despite using an inferior node process.
Intels node is spanning ~3 to 140 watts and given their massive attention to mobile these past many years maybe we can assume that the node is focused on the low power parts and what gives AMD a chance at the top now.. We havent seen any very low TDP parts from AMD yet.

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
- There still is is little possibility that it is fake, remember clickbait, clicks are money. I dont believe it is (fake) but ill keep the door open.

Most definitely. I'll still give it a few grains of salt since it's still more or less a rumour (albeit a more substantiated one).

I should've elaborated - I was referring more to his conclusion that benches from beta/ES chips are fake. Obviously they're not necessarily indicative of the final product, and I'm assuming they tested what they said they tested, but given the source I'd still put more faith in their results than, say, extrapolating performance from Blender run comparisons (although doing that has its own merits).

Reactions: cytg111

RoarTiger

Mar 30, 2013
You haven't noticed the same 5 guys on every major forum spouting the same stuff over and over?

I mostly assume these to be rabid fanbois. I doubt a paid professional would use the same name on different forums. I still would love to see a link with confirmation of some recent AMD PR stunt considering we had just a poster accuse one of the twenty or so people who posted above him of being a shill. Other than Samsung I cant remember any company being outed recently even though many clearly do it.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
I mostly assume these to be rabid fanbois. I doubt a paid professional would use the same name on different forums. I still would love to see a link with confirmation of some recent AMD PR stunt considering we had just a poster accuse one of the twenty or so people who posted above him of being a shill. Other than Samsung I cant remember any company being outed recently even though many clearly do it.

Google it, happens a lot. There were a couple big stories recently, one not too long ago.

https://hardforum.com/threads/stay-...d-at-chiphell-kepler-rumors-debunked.1668756/
https://consumerist.com/2006/02/06/did-nvidia-hire-online-actors-to-promote-their-products/

Apr 20, 2008
The thread-crapping of AMD is purely from those who are Investors in Intel rather than enthusiasts or consumers. Why else would these people be constantly putting out book-long threads on AMD vs Intel quarterly reports? Consumers and enthusiasts don't give a crap about anything like that, but you'll see a whole cache of threadcrappers in these threads that you see driveling on in those.

Hopefully AMD is back. When there's competition we as consumers win when it's upgrade time and there's multiple options to choose from. I cannot believe the crap being posted in here by critics. It looks like Ivy-B IPC and power consumption is in check on a 16 thread processor. What the hell is wrong with these people?

On another note, as a consumer/enthusiast/junior developer I have only bought the best CPU for longevity at the price-point I was allotted, and I'm certain most consumers do the same. We're getting 16 powerful and efficient threads for what looks like will fall in the $450-600 price point, with other models tiered down the pricing ladder. Even if the almost non-sequtier comparisons to an i5 are taken into consideration, are we not looking into the future when we buy something now? This discussion happens at every release of CPUs. More threads = longevity. I had the choice between the E8400 and the Q8200 about 7 years ago at the same price and these shortsighted people were always touting the single thread line then too. Which one of them can handle games and professional tasks today when overclocking both? This is further evidenced now by comparing a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 w/HT versus the AMD 3500+ Venice. At the time the benchmarks showed a slight lead for the 3500+, but if you were to use the computer today the Pentium 4 feels far more responsive thanks to hyperthreading.

Now we're getting many more fast cores with low power consumption and the negative talking points are dwindling down in terms of their basis in reality.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
I'm still wondering about it's maximum clocks, but just seeing AMD nearly on par clock-for-clock with Intel makes me so happy. Even if it does max out at around 3.6 (I'm betting it'll be higher) that is still enough to put some pressure on intels lower end slower HEDT market.

Gundark

May 1, 2011
Actually, these leaks came at the right time and it seems to be responsible for jump in the AMD shares to $12. If your product is not ready for the holyday season then make people want to wait for them, but still put on a face.

Reactions: psolord

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
AMD ( $6B) vs Intel ($120B) , AMD should not try to Kick ass Intel.they should offer decent product with reasonable Price.AMD really needs Money.

DidelisDiskas

Dec 27, 2015
So are they only releasing the 8 core cpu in january? Based on the information provided here, i'm really interested in how the zen 6 core part will pan out. It could potentially be a very interesting choice for price conscious enthusiats who otherwise would not be able to get an intel equivalent.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
as i said an i5 6600k overclocked is quite faster for gaming and the upcoming i5 kabylake is going to get even better...

I highly doubt Core i5 Kabylake to be better in 2016/2017 games than any 6-8 Core Intel/AMD ZEN CPUs. Gamers should understand by now that fps is not the only metric for better gaming, we should also take in to consideration the FrameTimes.

Mar 10, 2006
I highly doubt Core i5 Kabylake to be better in 2016/2017 games than any 6-8 Core Intel/AMD ZEN CPUs. Gamers should understand by now that fps is not the only metric for better gaming, we should also take in to consideration the FrameTimes.

I think the high clocked 7700K will continue to be the "sweet spot" for gaming for years to come. Intel had better not regress in 4-core turbo in Coffee Lake compared to Kaby Lake...

SpaceBeer

Apr 2, 2016
Price will be important part of the equation. If you need 7700K at ~4.8 GHz, it will cost you ~$550 ($150 for MB + $350 for CPU + $50 for cooling). On the other hand, if 4c/8t Ryzen manages to boost up to 4.2 GHz and costs less than $250, and you buy decent AM4 board for ~$80-90 and use Box(Wraith) or cheap ($20) aftermarket cooler, you could save up to $200 if you go for AM4. And that's the difference between 1070 & 1080 or 1080 and 1080 Ti.

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
I think the high clocked 7700K will continue to be the "sweet spot" for gaming for years to come. Intel had better not regress in 4-core turbo in Coffee Lake compared to Kaby Lake...

7700K for $400 ? Rofl , Still not reasonable price....

Edit : also this Link
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ed-reapplied-tim-reduces-temps-by-30c.228763/
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...ies-overclocks-inside-now-with-delid.2493250/

How Is Zen's TIM? who knows.I hope AMD doesn't screw up Zen's TIM but since Bristol Ridge does have very good TIM , most probably Ryzen will have very good TIM, better than 7700K ( Note I said TIM not Performance)

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
The thread-crapping of AMD is purely from those who are Investors in Intel rather than enthusiasts or consumers.

Naa. I think we have to think different about it.

My initial interest in pc started back at 386 days end 1980 ties. I experienced a time when amd was copying intel and was producing on license. Anyone thinks segmentation is agressive now; back then it was 286 386 and 486 on the market for the same time. The performance difference was like 20 years of today. There was eg a fpu unit in 486 and not in 386. Talk about like 8000% difference for some calculations. The 286 was crusing on 16 bit...

Having experienced that make you value what compettition and innovation brings. Its simply not something you can explain you need to experience it yourself.

Now i am certain no older people over 40 that have experienced that will show what we wrongly interprete as eg perhaps a kind of rampant fanboy behavior or investor interests. I think its a matter of experience and "missing" age. And what is happening now is just new for them and makes some a bit uncomfortable.

We have also seen a certain person make a lot of threads with tons of graphs presenting a message we all know before viewing. I dont think its about trolling or owning stocks. I think Its primarily a matter of getting most views and clicks.

All will settle more with a bit of age and this situation helps that. Most get a bit more soft. So its good for many things.

Reactions: psolord

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
168% divided by 16 threads = 10.5
105% divided by 8 thread = 13.1
So, per thread Zen is slower than fx8370 in those multithreaded apps.
Taking about 20% frequency difference it make Zen thread about equal to Piledriver in Instructions per clock?

Ofcourse, if we assume fx 8370 is an 8 core CPU and that zen CPU is also 8 core CPU, Zen is a lot faster, like 70% faster

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
What I find most funny is that when I posted the power delta comparison (idle-load) of the AMD vs. Intel CPUs, which gave a delta of around 90W vs. the system power consumption of almost 200W (load), I got literally ripped into pieces (e.g. https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/summit-ridge-zen-benchmarks.2482739/page-120#post-38630370).

But now these guys have measured the exact CPU power consumption... and it exactly matches what I found by measuring the delta (93W vs. 94W).

2001347995.png

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/summit-ridge-zen-benchmarks.2482739/page-118#post-38630275

Reactions: Bubbleawsome

SinOfLiberty

Apr 27, 2011
good for you ^

lots of people who are right have been called different names, but the result is the same.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
You do realize that you are arguing with AMD PR people?! They reside on every forum and use a number of various disinformation tricks to mislead or prove people who make valid statements wrong. So that it wont affect the sales of a product. Pretty typical these days.

Look what happened to the guy on guru3d who decided to tell the ~power draw of 490x, made the right statements, ect... but got banned: reason- trolling. Which is laughable to say the least. PR people are paid to sit and monitor forums, the whole schema was uploaded to net a while ago...

The same can be applied to INTEL. And they have much money to spend than AMD... ;)

And it's more believable for INTEL, because there are in chrismas sales INTEL CPus and not RyZen. Spreading FUD to avoid that people wait for Zen instead of buying INTEL is more probable... ;)