Question Zen 4 builders thread

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Tried CL30 with the G.SKILL memory and received an error in Prime95 within a minute. Even with the memory voltage at 1.4V. It worked with my Intel system. CL32 is working so far 10 minutes into Prime95.

Also lowered Twr from 96 to 72 and Row Cycle Time from 147 to 128. Just shots in the dark.
You should probably run everything close to default just to make sure everything is good in Prime 95. I consider a computer stable if it can run Prime 95 30 minutes or more. I would say 60 minutes but I don't have the patience for that.

Just because it says your ram is 1.4v doesn't mean you should set it at 1.4v. Start at 1.45v for a few days and lower the timings with higher voltage. Then dial it back down towards 1.4v after you get it stable. I wouldn't worry about the sub timings based the CL and the next 4 timings.

It's probably going to take them close to 6 months to get the bios squared away. You guys are the early adopters. We all get to watch your successes and failures from the peanut gallery.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You should probably run everything close to default just to make sure everything is good in Prime 95. I consider a computer stable if it can run Prime 95 30 minutes or more. I would say 60 minutes but I don't have the patience for that.

Just because it says your ram is 1.4v doesn't mean you should set it at 1.4v. Start at 1.45v for a few days and lower the timings with higher voltage. Then dial it back down towards 1.4v after you get it stable. I wouldn't worry about the sub timings based the CL and the next 4 timings.

It's probably going to take them close to 6 months to get the bios squared away. You guys are the early adopters. We all get to watch your successes and failures from the peanut gallery.
I don't consider it stable unless I run 8 hours of Prime95 small FFT. Follow that with a combination of memtest and 512K+ FFT Prime95 for 8 hours. Then another 8 hours of AIDA64 stability test.

Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Regarding tuning memory timings if it were Zen 2 or 3 I'd recommend 1usmus' Ryzen DRAM Calculator. That hasn't been updated for Zen 4 and DDR5 though (apparently hasn't been updated since 2020). His new tool is called Hydra and he appears to plan to include a calculator for Zen 4 with DDR5 there (it includes the kitchen sink...), but that tool neither easily available nor does it seem to have many fans. Would be interesting to know if there are other good sources nowadays.

I thought it was always 95C for Zen4.
95°C is the default set limit. The fused max of the chips is 115°C afaik so there's still headroom.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Last edited:

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
CPU arrives Sunday. RAM monday. No idea on the motherboard. NewEgg says release date is 10/7. I suspect the date may get pushed again.

A MicroCenter 4 hours from me has them in stock. Tempted to drive there.

Jul 27, 2020
A MicroCenter 4 hours from me has them in stock. Tempted to drive there.
Yeah. That is an unenviable conundrum for you. Do you wait for a mobo that wasn't made in volume as much as the other form factors and you could keep waiting for months? Or do you go get the one you can at Microcenter and then get the other one delivered right next day?

• Haha
Reactions: eek2121

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
What do the SP numbers mean? Never heard of them before?
The SP-Rating is a score given to a processor depending on how 'good' the preprogrammed V/F points are. The rating itself is designed to signify the overclocking potential of a processor, with a higher rating more than likely to be a good overclocker than a chip with a lower rating.

Generally, higher SP = better overclock on average. But there are outliers that can overclock high anyway even with low SP rating. SP is just Asus' attempt to quantify OC performance by comparing individual processors stock VID against Asus' own test statistics. Lower default VID (presumably) = higher SP rating

Higher SP number can mean better silicon quality and theoretical higher overclocking headroom

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The SP-Rating is a score given to a processor depending on how 'good' the preprogrammed V/F points are. The rating itself is designed to signify the overclocking potential of a processor, with a higher rating more than likely to be a good overclocker than a chip with a lower rating.

Generally, higher SP = better overclock on average. But there are outliers that can overclock high anyway even with low SP rating. SP is just Asus' attempt to quantify OC performance by comparing individual processors stock VID against Asus' own test statistics. Lower default VID (presumably) = higher SP rating

Higher SP number can mean better silicon quality and theoretical higher overclocking headroom
It didn't seem to provide much insight on the Intel side with the 12900KS. The Asus prediction wasn't in line with what people were seeing in actual overclocks. Low SP scores were getting higher overclocks at less voltage compared to those with a higher SP. My 12900KS is a particularly good sample. Don't know the SP since I used a Gigabyte board. KS CPUs with a lower SP were clocking higher compared to the original K CPUs.

Maybe it's different and actually a viable indicator on the AMD side.

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
It didn't seem to provide much insight on the Intel side with the 12900KS. The Asus prediction wasn't in line with what people were seeing in actual overclocks. Low SP scores were getting higher overclocks at less voltage compared to those with a higher SP. My 12900KS is a particularly good sample. Don't know the SP since I used a Gigabyte board. KS CPUs with a lower SP were clocking higher compared to the original K CPUs.

Maybe it's different and actually a viable indicator on the AMD side.
You can only compare SP numbers within a SKU. 12900k vs 12900ks dont work..
Anyway, its not an exact science.. But it can give you a helping hand in finding cpus with the best V/F points ;)

Over to something else, i have finally received some of my new parts :cool:
mottatt 7950x.jpg

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
You can only compare SP numbers within a SKU. 12900k vs 12900ks dont work..
Anyway, its not an exact science.. But it can give you a helping hand in finding cpus with the best V/F points ;)

Over to something else, i have finally received some of my new parts :cool:
View attachment 68464

I see you still got a TechN block. I have a brand new optimus foundation waiting for me to use, I'd be interested to see some details about stock temps/power/boost on that to compare (silicon lottery willing)

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
I see you still got a TechN block. I have a brand new optimus foundation waiting for me to use, I'd be interested to see some details about stock temps/power/boost on that to compare (silicon lottery willing)
Yes i will try to mount the TechN block and check the contact.. give me a few mins :)
Have to do something, my optimus foundation wont be here until early next week..

Reactions: Tlh97 and Justinus

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Yes i will try to mount the TechN block and check the contact.. give me a few mins :)
Have to do something, my optimus foundation wont be here until early next week..

Haha oh I didn't realize you were getting both. Dang, you can give directly comparable figures then. Awesome!

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
They're here !!!!! About $6,000 worth of hardware in this picture, and I have more that I am using for these two systems, like cases and another HSF (not here yet), and another 1300 watt PSU, and another 3090TI FTW3, about $2000 more, so $8,000 for 2 high end 7950x systems with matching 3090TI's and 1 tb nvme drives and 32 and 64 gig fast ram.

20220930_134841[1].jpg

Last edited: