Question Zen 4 builders thread

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, I need recommendations for a case that will take a 420 rad, 67.5 thich mounted at the top. I have one I am looking at, but it does not specify max hight of radiator
Fractal Design FD-C-MES2A-01
Any suggestions ?

Reactions: Drazick

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Talking about AIOs, just downloaded CB23, just out of curiosity to find out how much does my current CPU score (running stock) compared to expected 7950x numbers, and uh-oh, checking the temps with HWinfo, they shot up to 99C on pretty much all the cores! I did not run any CB in ages, nor checked temps, as the computer runs okay. It ended even this CB run just fine, but was clearly throttled cause ot the temps, cause the reported one was actually lower than the default all-core turbo. Bottom line, this was not happening few years back, it ran at about 80C on average, some cores more, some less.

Question is, is this the AIO issue? Like there is not enough liquid in the system, as it evaporated over time (the cooler is Alphacool Eisbaer 360 and i have it since early 2018)? Or the pump failing? Or do i need to re-paste?
Even if i intend to get a new rig, this one i want to sell, so i guess i need to solve this before i do so.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Talking about AIOs, just downloaded CB23, just out of curiosity to find out how much does my current CPU score (running stock) compared to expected 7950x numbers, and uh-oh, checking the temps with HWinfo, they shot up to 99C on pretty much all the cores! I did not run any CB in ages, nor checked temps, as the computer runs okay. It ended even this CB run just fine, but was clearly throttled cause ot the temps, cause the reported one was actually lower than the default all-core turbo. Bottom line, this was not happening few years back, it ran at about 80C on average, some cores more, some less.

Question is, is this the AIO issue? Like there is not enough liquid in the system, as it evaporated over time (the cooler is Alphacool Eisbaer 360 and i have it since early 2018)? Or the pump failing? Or do i need to re-paste?
Even if i intend to get a new rig, this one i want to sell, so i guess i need to solve this before i do so.
1) Check the thermal paste. Remove and reapply as necessary.
2) Remount the AIO per manufacturer's instructions.
3) Clean out any dust from the fan and radiator.
4) Run CB again and see if the problem persists.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
1) Check the thermal paste. Remove and reapply as necessary.
2) Remount the AIO per manufacturer's instructions.
3) Clean out any dust from the fan and radiator.
4) Run CB again and see if the problem persists.

Thank you! Pump seems to be working fine, so it seems, as i found out, as the HW monitor reports 1829 RPM under load (still 100C lol).

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
FYI I have a 280mm AIO that works wonders with Zen 3. Even with limits cranked to 170-200w PPT I barely touch 80C in prime95. It outperforms the 360mm AIOs I have used prior.

I have an older NZXT, but any quality 280mm should be able to keep Zen 4 cool.

AIOs are really a way to go. Makes cooling just about anything a non-brainer... And there is no noise...

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021

I did go through a dead pump, but it was an instant death...

Reactions: Tlh97 and Timmah!

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
Except getting a case to fit one.

If you don't already have a case that fits it, it could be a problem. But my case that is already 9 years old was designed to fit them. Power supply at the bottom of the case, in its enclosure and free space on top of the case for AIO.

In fact, I am thinking, for my new case, to get a case that can fit 2 AIOs one for CPU, one for GPU.

I have not started researching them, so I am not sure what's on the market...

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I fractal 5 is supposed to hold a 420 rad on top. But look at these 2 pics. The rad is 2.5 inches thick, so it won't fit (see first pic), except the case is wide enough it might work depsending on the motherboard. (see the aio mounting holes in second pic)

Attachments

• 20220831_160822[2].jpg
    20220831_160822[2].jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220831_161911[1].jpg
    20220831_161911[1].jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 18

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
I fractal 5 is supposed to hold a 420 rad on top. But look at these 2 pics. The rad is 2.5 inches thick, so it won't fit (see first pic), except the case is wide enough it might work depsending on the motherboard. (see the aio mounting holes in second pic)

I can't tell from the pictures, but maybe you can look up the specs of the case, and it should tell you what it supports.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I can't tell from the pictures, but maybe you can look up the specs of the case, and it should tell you what it supports.
Oh, it says it right on the Amazon page.
"Extensive Water Cooling Support For A Case Of This Size; Housing Radiators Up To 420Mm In The Top And 360Mm In The Front. "
And as you can see I bought the 420 artic II. Well, we will see. It says I can return it. I just hope the motherboard does not complicate things.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
"Extensive Water Cooling Support For A Case Of This Size; Housing Radiators Up To 420Mm In The Top And 360Mm In The Front. "
And as you can see I bought the 420 artic II. Well, we will see. It says I can return it. I just hope the motherboard does not complicate things.
Mark, just an FYI as I was looking to purchase another case and another Arctic 420 cooler. There is a repair product for some of the Arctic Freezer line that may still be shipping and have a past year shipped product issue!!!!

Here is more.
GamersNexus repair and overview video:

I think my current Arctic 420 is not within the needed repair window and has worked very well so far on a 5950x that besides a few months since December 2020 has been running 24 / 7 doing D.C. work fully loaded. But I am still researching. Also the radiator is not a full 38mm thick (the radiator case is), but the radiator is thicker than the other AIOs out there. I would also top mount this as that is a lot of heat to push into a puter case and over other components that need cooling also?

Other reviews:

Gamers Nexus review:

I am looking up cases that can accommodate it without modification or RAM interference as it is big and I had to modify the Fractal S2 case it is in now a little bit to get it to fit in Top Mount location.

It is quiet and can really ramp up to remove overclock heat during competitions to try and keep up with others with more junk :)

Edit 2: Arctic has a 6 year warranty on this AIO, so I am not so worried about it in the long run and so far running almost 24/7 for coming up on 2 years, I am happy with it!. Just watch your RAM clearance also in whatever case you buy. In a (not full tower) regular full atx case, it conflicted with my RAM height.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Updated list of parts:

6600 cl34 DDR5 32 gig
Arctic freezer II 420
1300 watt platinum EVGA PSU.
3090TI, the fastest one EVGA makes. (PSU is so I can add another one if I want, but SLI, just computing)
Fractal design define R5

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Updated list of parts:

6600 cl34 DDR5 32 gig
Arctic freezer II 420
1300 watt platinum EVGA PSU.
3090TI, the fastest one EVGA makes. (PSU is so I can add another one if I want, but SLI, just computing)
Fractal design define R5
I should add that a 7950x will be my primary use computer for audio recording stuff and video (but less so). So it will run 24 / 7 D.c. otherwise.

I have a Fractal define R5 and it is quiet without too much heat load, but does not breathe very well with over 200 watts in the case and can get louder with case and cpu fans running full speed. Not great for my audio work.

If buying a new case and not so worried about lower load noise, I would look at the higher airflow cases. For a bit higher quality build with more airflow maybe the Fractal Meshify 2, but I am still researching if it can fit the Arctic 420 without modification.

I find less expensive cases than the bigger Fractal and other brands to be lower quality than I typically like to play with. FYI.

My Fractal S2 with the Artic 420 I ran RAM with just heat-spreader heatsinks on the PCB as otherwise even with "shifting" the AIO over as much as possible it still ran into the common RAM with lower and "attractive" heat sinks.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I should add that a 7950x will be my primary use computer for audio recording stuff and video (but less so). So it will run 24 / 7 D.c. otherwise.

I have a Fractal define R5 and it is quiet without too much heat load, but does not breathe very well with over 200 watts in the case and can get louder with case and cpu fans running full speed. Not great for my audio work.

If buying a new case and not so worried about lower load noise, I would look at the higher airflow cases. For a bit higher quality build with more airflow maybe the Fractal Meshify 2, but I am still researching if it can fit the Arctic 420 without modification.

I find less expensive cases than the bigger Fractal and other brands to be lower quality than I typically like to play with. FYI.

My Fractal S2 with the Artic 420 I ran RAM with just heat-spreader heatsinks on the PCB as otherwise even with "shifting" the AIO over as much as possible it still ran into the common RAM with lower and "attractive" heat sinks.
I should be noted that all my cases have the left side cover off permanently. I find that with a good cooler, open case and a fan or 2, to keep air moving around, nothing overheats.

But no more of this nightmare: (keep adding fluid, even though no leak, and takes a LOT of space.)

Attachments

• water_cool1[1].jpg
    water_cool1[1].jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 17
  • water_cool2[1].jpg
    water_cool2[1].jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 18

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Don't use Amazon for information as critical as that. Go to the source instead. You might also check out the Lian Li dynamic XL, the Corsair 7000 series, and the Phanteks Enthoo or Eclipse series. I think there's also a Cooler Master case that will handle 420.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Don't use Amazon for information as critical as that. Go to the source instead. You might also check out the Lian Li dynamic XL, the Corsair 7000 series, and the Phanteks Enthoo or Eclipse series. I think there's also a Cooler Master case that will handle 420.
Its also on newegg and the vendors site. But thanks for the reminder !

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
For a bit higher quality build with more airflow maybe the Fractal Meshify 2, but I am still researching if it can fit the Arctic 420 without modification.
Its own page https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-2/black/ says:
"Support for radiators up to 360 mm (front), 420 mm (top) and 280 mm (base)"

Is the Arctic 420 thicker than whatever Fractal had in mind?

I have Define R5 now and would like to stay in air cooling. Eagerly waiting benchmarks about thermals.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
At least one mini ITX board was announced. I am going to do a 7950X build. I ordered a FormD T1 and will order everything else pending availability.

This should be fun.

Current goal is 64gb DDR5 6000 or faster, 4tb PCIE 5 m.2, next gen GPU (the fastest that will fit)

Reactions: Drazick and Racan

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
At least one mini ITX board was announced. I am going to do a 7950X build. I ordered a FormD T1 and will order everything else pending availability.

This should be fun.

Current goal is 64gb DDR5 6000 or faster, 4tb PCIE 5 m.2, next gen GPU (the fastest that will fit)
I’m thinking of this upcoming 13,3 L case, you can fit a 280 AIO and no need for PCI-E risers.
My dream would be to use this Sff case for an 8 core Zen 4 with 3D cache build.

Last edited:

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
I’m thinking of this upcoming 13,3 L case, you can fit a 280 AIO and no need for PCI-E risers.
My dream would be to use this Sff case for an 8 core Zen 4 with 3D cache build.

I have been watching them for updates, but I have seen nothing so I went with the FormD instead. The FormD kit includes a PCIE 4.0 riser, I doubt we will need PCIE 5 for GPUs any time soon, and even if we do, I imagine risers will be quick to market.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Its own page https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-2/black/ says:
"Support for radiators up to 360 mm (front), 420 mm (top) and 280 mm (base)"

Is the Arctic 420 thicker than whatever Fractal had in mind?

I have Define R5 now and would like to stay in air cooling. Eagerly waiting benchmarks about thermals.
The Arctic 420 fits but there is a conflict with RAM taller than 36 mm without modification as the stock Arctic 420 with its fans overlaps the top edge of the ram closest to the AIO. Check the details in the manual. I think this is the case with all the fractal mid towers that can fit the top mount 420.

I modified the radiator support frame in the top of my Fractal S2 by enlogating the radiator screw mount locations and was able to gain about 2 mm for RAM height as this moved the radiator closer to the glass window a bit. Works fine.

I don't think a 25mm thick rear fan will work in the meshify 2 with the Arctic 420 in top mount. A thinner rear fan around 15mm might.

Last edited: