Finally gotten back to it and now I am done testing my system. Curve Optimizer and holidays threw a curve ball so it took longer than I planned, but after everything is said and done I am satisfied. Hopefully the system will serve me well
for the next couple of years..
well, who knows? Let's see what 7800X3D can do
I have settled on the followings:
- Eco Mode 65W
- Boost override +200 MHz
- Mid load boost (?) Enabled
- Per core Curve Optimizer (-20, -14, -18, -18, -20, -20, -16, -16)
There are also some VRM settings I fiddled around, such as LLC. (level 3 for both CPU and SOC, level 2 got me occasional shutdowns) Other than that, most other voltages were lowered as much as possible.
This setting gets me;
- Max Package power: 90.2 W (never seen it go above)
- Max Boost Clock: 5750 MHz
- Avg. Effective Clock during Prime95 (LargeFFT, AVX-512): 5120 MHz. It's not all-core OC because I see minimum effective frequencies below 4000 MHz after a while. I suppose cores take a break here and there. With regular PBO and boost override, average effective clock during Prime95 was 5340 MHz and max PPT rose up to 160W(!). That is 78% power increase for extra 220 MHz.
- Max temperature: 75C for 1T max benches, 70C for full-blown nT stuff. 75C is also generally the max temp I observe on day-to-day use.
Torture tests passed
- BIOS Memtest: 8 hrs
- Prime95 LargeFFT (AVX-512): 8 hrs
- Y-Cruncher (all tests): 4 hrs
- 3DMark Time Spy: 2 hrs
Tests were done with all 4 DIMM slots filled, all 4 M.2 sockets used, and 2 out of 3 PCIE slots occupied. On average, the hottest running component in this setup is the X670 chipset @60~80C (ugh)
Cinebench 30 min run: Eco Mode 65W 19174
| Stock Boost + PBO 20159
Geekbench 5: Eco Mode 65W (2305 ST
, 14777 MT
) | Stock Boost + PBO (2263 ST
, 15609 MT
Essentially the same performance for single-threaded tasks, and 5% performance loss for the Eco mode. System has been rock solid. ASUS B650E-E gets a seal of approval from me when it comes to handling a 7700X. If it were cheaper by $100, it'd be a no-brainer recommendation.